Top notch electrostat vs. balanced dynamic headphone systems
Jun 20, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #76 of 102
Nik, excuse my ignorance but how are you driving dynamic phones such as HD650s through a SET amp, I couldn't see a headphone socket, did I miss one or is it by connecting something to the speaker outputs?

Jun 20, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #78 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
300SEI has a very good built in headphone amp.

Or better...

Cary CAD 300SEI is a fantastic headphones amp. All the the circuitry goes for the cans and (this I think) this amp goes better for can than for speakers! (For hi impedences cans !).

Jun 20, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #79 of 102
In my rig the Omegas walk over the He90 every day of the week but they have to be fitted to your head and have an amp behind them that can drive them. Comparing the two the He90 is dynamically constrained with one note bass, fussy soundstage, slightly harsh upper midrange and the worse build quality then a Coby headphone. They did show me what the Omegas were doing wrong so I could make them better but they don't see much use these days. I'll probably never sell them though since despite their flaws they make beautiful music.
orphsmile.gif

The He90 works with every stat amp pretty nicely and never sounds bad while the Omega's sound like crap on almost every amp I've tried them with. They need tubes and plenty of voltage and very good silver cables are a must.

Ps. All this is IMO and concluded after months of testing so keep your flames at bay. The He90 might impress at first listen but you need much longer time to get to know them as with any piece of gear.

Jun 20, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #80 of 102
When switching back and forth between an HE90 to an OII it was clear to me that the OII sounded dull in comparison. The OII's sound stage was less spacious, and instrument separation diminished. This effect resembled that which would be obtained by switching back and forth between a better dynamic headphone, such as an HD650, and a lesser one, such as an SR225. The degree of difference between the HE90 and the OII was similar to that between the OII and an ESP/950; i.e., the OII was clearly superior to the ESP/950. The degree of difference between the HE90 and the OII was substantially greater than the degree of differences between the OII and the other Stax headphones that I heard, and it was also greater than the degree of difference between the OII and an HE60.

Quote:

Mike in what way is the HE90 superior to the Omega II? I have heard neither but my assumption from reading posts here was at that level of performance it came down to sonic preference.

Jun 20, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #81 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
When switching back and forth between an HE90 to an OII it was clear to me that the OII sounded dull in comparison. The OII's sound stage was less spacious, and instrument separation diminished. This effect resembled that which would be obtained by switching back and forth between a better dynamic headphone, such as an HD650, and a lesser one, such as an SR225. The degree of difference between the HE90 and the OII was similar to that between the OII and an ESP/950; i.e., the OII was clearly superior to the ESP/950. The degree of difference between the HE90 and the OII was substantially greater than the degree of differences between the OII and the other Stax headphones that I heard, and it was also greater than the degree of difference between the OII and an HE60.

What about HE60 vs HE90? It's confusing but some say the HE60 80-95% of the HE90, others say completely different sound signature.

I appreciate all your opinions about the STAX and Sennheisers.

Jun 20, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #82 of 102
Quote:

Sounds like you don't rate the HE60 very highly.

Jun 21, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #83 of 102
J-Pack & Carl - Solely on the basis of a couple of very short, but direct, HE60/HE90 comparisons at meets, I'd rate the HE60's capability as 85% of the HE90's. It's somewhere mid-point between an ESP/950 and an HE90. But, I can't really comment on the sound quality of the HE60 versus the OII, since I've not carefully compared them. As for liking the HE60, it's hard to enthuse about a headphone that's less capable than one that I already own.

Jun 21, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #84 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer
In my rig the Omegas walk over the He90 every day of the week but they have to be fitted to your head and have an amp behind them that can drive them. Comparing the two the He90 is dynamically constrained with one note bass, fussy soundstage, slightly harsh upper midrange and the worse build quality then a Coby headphone. They did show me what the Omegas were doing wrong so I could make them better but they don't see much use these days. I'll probably never sell them though since despite their flaws they make beautiful music.
orphsmile.gif

The He90 works with every stat amp pretty nicely and never sounds bad while the Omega's sound like crap on almost every amp I've tried them with. They need tubes and plenty of voltage and very good silver cables are a must.

Ps. All this is IMO and concluded after months of testing so keep your flames at bay. The He90 might impress at first listen but you need much longer time to get to know them as with any piece of gear.

No flames from me. I certainly respect your opinion, but I'm wondering if you're using the same Headamp Blue Hawaii to drive both the HE90 and the Omega II's. If so, what is the voltage bias set at? I'm just curious about your findings, and am trying to get my mind around the parameters of the amp that gives such amazing results with the Omega II's.

Jun 21, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #85 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer
In my rig the Omegas walk over the He90 every day of the week... Comparing the two the He90 is dynamically constrained with one note bass, fussy soundstage, slightly harsh upper midrange and the worse build quality then a Coby headphone...

Quote:

When switching back and forth between an HE90 to an OII it was clear to me that the OII sounded dull in comparison. The OII's sound stage was less spacious, and instrument separation diminished... The degree of difference between the HE90 and the OII was similar to that between the OII and an ESP/950...

Interesting, guys! Has anyone done a Coby vs. ESP/950 comparison?
biggrin.gif

I guess this just goes to show that reasonable minds (err, ears) can differ, and I suspect a lot depends on the your respective musical/sonic tastes, upstream components, and the usual yada yada.

Jun 21, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #86 of 102
Quote:

As for liking the HE60, it's hard to enthuse about a headphone that's less capable than one that I already own.

It's more capable than the Koss though, and you enthuse about that.
tongue.gif

Jun 21, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #88 of 102
Quote:

I know mikeg really likes the Koss because it's a budget electrostat that still provides good sound.

And I agree with him. It certainly deserves more respect.

Quote:

The HE60 should be ranked top tier along with the OII

Depends whether you want to make an even topper tier with the HE90 and friends, I guess. HE60s and OIIs can be had for around 1/4 of the price of an HE90.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back