Top End Grado Tiz Is Gone
Dec 31, 2009 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

AnalogJ

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, so this has been my first big exposure to Grado headphones. I have been reporting on the SR325is headphones as well as others in the line (plus some other brands as well). Absolutely, there is a Grado sound. But the big top end tizz, which I did encounter at first, is gone from the equation, and this is after playing them non-stop for about 48 hours with mostly large-scale dynamic orchestral music and well-recorded big band jazz. Perhaps really well-recorded dynamic wideband music is really necessary, but I now hearing a well-blended top end. That's not to say that it's entirely grain-free, but I am hearing none of the glare I heard essentially out of the box (I bought the demo from the dealer, but he didn't think there had been much play on them, and for the amount they have changed in the time I have had them, I would guess not.).

They still have a somewhat forward presentation. You have to go up to the RS1 to get lots of depth, but the midrange is pretty much resolving anything you throw at it, and music is both exciting and compelling. Vocal jazz really has me connecting to the singer and rock is conveyed, but lacking a bit of ultimate slam that I heard from the RS1.

In the end, I surmise that those who hear top end tizz from the Grados are either listening to poorly recorded music, or haven't properly broken the Grados in.

Dec 31, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #4 of 18
He means edgy treble or harshness. Personally I don't experience any of it.

Dec 31, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #5 of 18
Yeah... replace "tizz" with "harsh highs" or "shrill treble" and then we'll talk!
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #6 of 18
Tizz on Grados is very dependent on the recording. I never hear any tizz with classical or big band. There are quite a few badly recorded pop/rock albums were the tizz can be a bit bad though. In those cases, I just EQ down the 7kHZ region. Grados will always be grainy up top, but they do get smoother as you move up the chain.

Jan 1, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the end, I surmise that those who hear top end tizz from the Grados are either listening to poorly recorded music, or haven't properly broken the Grados in.

Just realized you are running mostly analog / TT. (I'm actually familiar with your source equipment.) In that case, Grados should be just about perfect on the high-end. Darn I need to unpack my LP's and my TT gear once I move into a bigger place this summer.

Jan 1, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by purrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tizz on Grados is very dependent on the recording. I never hear any tizz with classical or big band. There are quite a few badly recorded pop/rock albums were the tizz can be a bit bad though.

I agree 10%. Grados expose bad recording techniques. People blame the sibilants and spittiness on the headphones. Vocalistalists almost have the microphone in their mouth. Hence all the harshness and sibilants. Grados sound wonderful on great recordings. If you want everything to sound nice, regardless of how it was recorded, get a Sennheiser.

Jan 1, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 18
Well, it's interesting that I have read so much about the harshness or brightness on the Grados. Out of the box, I got a sense of that, but there's none of that now with the SR325is. There wasn't any of that with the SR225i cans at the store either, but I know they had had at least 40 hours of break-in.

I don't know about the glossery here, but I have been around audio for a long time and 'tizzy' has been used in my circles. But in my book, it essentially does mean, thin, bright and peaky.

Yes, most of my listening is usually with my analog setup, which is FAR superior to my CD rig. The original Rega Planet ain't bad, but it's not in the same league. One area where the Planet lacks is in absolute slam or macrodynamics. It is very limited in this area.

Jan 1, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #10 of 18
I always understood tiz or tizzy to mean nervous excitement or agitation i.e., "I'm in such a tiz today". It is also used to describe something that is overdone to the point of kitsch.

Jan 1, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #11 of 18
Dated a girl back in school everyone called Tizz so I can understand both the beauty and the annoyance. I've been using 225i for a few months on short hikes; less than ideal conditions. I quite happily let the sound of the river invade my musical space. That being said, my right ear is very sensitive and is rarely activated/agitated by the Grado sound signature. At home it's HD600 all the way and for traveling it's IEMs but the sound I get from Jam Band FLACs out of my 225i in the woods is mesmerizing . . . errr . . . rockin'!

Glad to know it will get even better.

Jan 1, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #12 of 18
for the love of god, please do not let such a silly word as "tizz" enter the common audio lexicon
frown.gif

Jan 1, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #14 of 18
I'am still waiting to hear the TIZZ, my 325is is stuck in Sydney, waiting for my partners cousin to ship them, wait till I get my hands on them will then talk more about the TIZZ
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #15 of 18
I don't know -- I think "tizzy" is practically onomatopoetic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back