TOP DAPs in Soundstage and Fidelity (neutralish)
Dec 26, 2015 at 12:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

GloriousLettuce

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

What are your guesses on the top recommended high-end DAPs in the terms of soundstage and fidelity? I see common related are Fiio X5 and Luxury & Precision L5Pro, what are some other recommendation?

Price is not relevant.

Update with current popular mentions:

Astell&Kern AK380
Lotoo Paw Gold
Hi-fi man 901
FiiO X7
Cowon P1
iBasso DX80
Cayin N5
Aune M2

Dec 26, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 18
Well the Sansa Clips are quite good. But to be fair almost every player is. Most players sound 100% the same and several others sound 99% the same if they're not broken.

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #5 of 18
Interesting, sounds like a nice discussion.

Hopefully someone with more experience using multiple DAPs can check this out and let me know what are some of the better soundstage DAPs as that's what I'm totally into. Not just everything sounding "huge", but with good separation as well.

Would also like to make it in "top choices" so we could get a clearer picture. :)

Dec 27, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #11 of 18
Hi guys,

What are your guesses on the top recommended high-end DAPs in the terms of soundstage and fidelity? I see common related are Fiio X5 and Luxury & Precision L5Pro, what are some other recommendation?

Price is not relevant.
To be completely transparent, it is true that, to me, source is not the most important factor.

Firdy thing is, what is the use you are after? I am an IEM man so I can't talk for full sized headphones. If you like iems, first thing is to get a really good iem. A few hundred bucks can get you something absolutely excellent. Once you have that, you can make this iem sound better with a great source. Improvements are small, but small improvements make a world of difference in music.

When looking for a DAP, first define your budget. Then define if you only want to drive iem and portable headphones or also full-sized cans as very few DAPs can do that decently. Also ask yourself if you would accept a stack or want a all in one DAP.

If price is no objection, the best sounding DAPs in the market, TO MY EARS, are the AK380, Lotoo Paw Gold and Hi-fi man 901. I think the AK380 is grossly overpriced but still sounds great. I own the Lotoo and it is my little favorite, but for what you want soundstage presentation is more deep than wide. To answer one precious post, there is a significant difference in soundstage presentation among DAPs.

If you don't mind a stack, the Chord Mojo sounds easily as good at a much lower price. Otherwise, sounding great at less indecent price are the Cowon P1, Fiio X7.

If you want to go lower in price, I don't have much experience but think DX80, Cayin N5 and Aune M2 are good offers.

Dec 27, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #12 of 18
To be completely transparent, it is true that, to me, source is not the most important factor.

Firdy thing is, what is the use you are after? I am an IEM man so I can't talk for full sized headphones. If you like iems, first thing is to get a really good iem. A few hundred bucks can get you something absolutely excellent. Once you have that, you can make this iem sound better with a great source. Improvements are small, but small improvements make a world of difference in music.

When looking for a DAP, first define your budget. Then define if you only want to drive iem and portable headphones or also full-sized cans as very few DAPs can do that decently. Also ask yourself if you would accept a stack or want a all in one DAP.

If price is no objection, the best sounding DAPs in the market, TO MY EARS, are the AK380, Lotoo Paw Gold and Hi-fi man 901. I think the AK380 is grossly overpriced but still sounds great. I own the Lotoo and it is my little favorite, but for what you want soundstage presentation is more deep than wide. To answer one precious post, there is a significant difference in soundstage presentation among DAPs.

If you don't mind a stack, the Chord Mojo sounds easily as good at a much lower price. Otherwise, sounding great at less indecent price are the Cowon P1, Fiio X7.

If you want to go lower in price, I don't have much experience but think DX80, Cayin N5 and Aune M2 are good offers.

Thank you for the reply!

I'm looking to use both full sized and IEM-s (I use SM HP150 and E80S atm) and I'd like an all-in-one DAP. Personally I want as most battery power I can get so I'll probably look into DX80, and I'll add other suggestions in the OP.

Dec 27, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #13 of 18
Sure you're one of them who could also hear more details in 24/192, golden cables, interconnects etc. Then I'd gladly pay the most to be sure to have the best. After conducting a dbt which is not allowed here I am afraid you cannot hear any differences between cables, audio formats, daps etc etc
But hey sure do what you like.

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #14 of 18
Sure you're one of them who could also hear more details in 24/192, golden cables, interconnects etc. Then I'd gladly pay the most to be sure to have the best. After conducting a dbt which is not allowed here I am afraid you cannot hear any differences between cables, audio formats, daps etc etc
But hey sure do what you like.
I do not believe in difference in cables and do not care about high res or DSD. I have compared side by side DAPs including an IPod classic and the difference are small but they do make a difference. Do not be bitter because you cannot afford gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back