Top 5
Feb 10, 2009 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

yoyo59

100+ Head-Fier
Well I own a Ipod 32gb Touch 2g, and was wondering about the rest of the mp3 world, as im sure ipod is not king, but only in marketing.

I have just won cowon d2 from a ebay auction after seeing alot of good review on it in here. for only 70 quid brand new thats quite good seeing as the ipod cost nearly 300.

I hope thats the right one ^ lol

im also looking to get some shure SE530 from play.com or some sen IE8's but I'm leaning towards shure for some reason, maybe I have a sweet spot for them I dont know.

I also have been searching and seen the Kenwood HD30GB9 but it is near impossible to get that here in the Uk, I've looked on ebay and seen people from japan selling for 400 pounds, which im not willing to pay for saying how old it is, and seen a guy at a different forums sell it for 130.

SO whats every1's top 5 players for SQ
seeing as the top 10 thread just turned into a big debut

Im not qualified for saying anything because I don't know much at all!( only that I would like a kenwood)

Feb 10, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 6
Top 5 is hard, but surprisingly my ipod touch 2g would be in it
biggrin.gif
My personal others would be Fuze/clip, Sony s639, Zune, and Cowon s9.

Putting them in order is hard, as they all have different strengths. And yes this is a cop-out
biggrin.gif

Oh what the hell,

1. Zune - can't fault this at all sonically, although they break on me like mad.
2. Sony S639- up close and in your face detail and good bass- very lively.
3. Ipod touch 2g- smooth and detailed, great soundstage one of the best IMO
4. Fuze/clip- neutral and very clean awesome detail and soundstage- maybe a bit lacking in treble response/energy
5. Cowon S9- great detail and instrument separation, good eq/se- narrow soundstage.

Feb 11, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #3 of 6
wow that is a very good price indeed. although if you are planning on using SE530 with it you really need to get an impedance adapter or use an amp; the SE530 is such low impedance that you will get bass roll-off like no-ones business. in fact the D2 will give most IEM's a hard time with bass. strange how the D2 doent have a line-out, but seems to be designed to work better with an amp. its very good at feeding an amp, but crapola at driving IENM's IMO. its really hard to do this; as has been said they all have their pluses and minuses but anyway here I go

1. IMOD/DIYMOD (*needs an amp to take advantage, but with that I see no competition)
2. iriver H120-H140 (yes even from HP out; but use an external portable dac via optical, like iBasso D1, D10 or AMB gamma1 and a decent amp and you have a new number 1)
3. Iphone 3G (very under-rated and drives my SE530 to greta heights)
4. Cowon S9 (apparently makes a really nice combination with IE8)
5. Sansa Clip (great sound, one of the best, but storage is an issue)

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #4 of 6
I want to try the IE8 myself, just for a change from my se530
biggrin.gif
And ya great price on the d2, nice little dap. And thats a fantastic price for the se530, I'd jump on that they're a really nice set of iems.

Mar 2, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 6
I've only owned 4 so far so I'll just rate those.

1. Cowon D2 (with EQ, makes my PFEs sound incredible. Add in the E5, incredible portable audio)
2. ipod 5g + ALO LOD (headphone out only, its probably one of the worse I've had, with the LOD though that changes it dramatically, makes it quite bulky for portable use though)
3. Sansa Clip + E5 (The standard sound of the Clip is really good, add in the E5, ultra-portable goodness)
4. Meizu M6 (Bass is very good as is mids, its small, sound doesn't seem very balanced at times, EQ blows)
5. Ipod 5g (no life at all, very sterile sounding, crap to me)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back