Top 5 songs to play at your funeral.
Jul 9, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #31 of 56
55c8_32.jpg

61BqgRePPVL_SL500_AA280_.jpg

tubebar.jpg

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #32 of 56
At my funeral....lights will fade and then a lone light bulb will briefly flicker out and it will

be playing Procul Harums " A Whiter Shade of Pale "

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #33 of 56
Mogwai - We're No Here
Coheed and Cambria - The End Complete Part V: On The Brink

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #35 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you should see funerals in New Orleans then, when the band plays while the casket is taken to the cemetry for burial.....actually is quite nice. At least I have seen them on TV!

It would be very interesting to see that.

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #36 of 56
Never quite got why the subject of death/funreals is considered morbid. I've always taken a more, um, Tibetan Buddhist view of it....live/love/enjoy life but - better get ready, cos that train's acomin'...

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #39 of 56
First off, Steviebee, you impress me as usual by name dropping one of the best tracks off of The Kinks' most underrated, and best, album (IMO).

I'm going to make two lists. One will represent the drunken, depressing, God-fearing Celt in me. The other will represent the drunken, jovial, God-fearing Celt in me.

GlendaleViper's Extra Sad Funeral for Weepy Mourners and Otherwise Sensitive Types:

- A Whiter Shade of Pale - Procol Harum - Universally known but should confound the hell out of anyone paying attention to the words.

- Anything - Eric Burden & The Animals - That oughtta get the waterworks going. Of course, I wouldn't be doing much of anything at all, really.

- Colour My World - Chicago - Probably better suited to a wedding, but what the hell. If anyone can make it past the flute without getting bleary-eyed, what the hell are they doing at my funeral anyway, right?

- Saturday Sun - Nick Drake - Tailor made for a corpse's elegy, melancholy but sweet and tragic.

- Goodbye Pork Pie Hat - Mingus - Can't think of another tune that embodies a classy, old-time "here's lookin' at you, kid" feel.

GlendaleViper's Overblown Bushparty/Wake for Celebratory Types and the Maniacs I Associate With:

- William Tell Overture: Finale - Gioachino Rossini - They're gonna burn me down to nothing when I croak, but if I could manage to get this one played while the pallbearers drag my heavy ass over to the hole, I might just reconsider burial.

- Push th' Little Daisies - Ween - This one plays when the French maids and furries start distributing the N2O.

- Phantom Limb (full album) - Pig Destroyer - This should get rid of those bastards I manage to predecease by more than two decades.

- Yakety Sax (Benny Hill Theme) - Boots Randolph - Gotta side with Uncle Erik on this one. Perfect backing for a eulogy, don't you think?

- Theme to World 1-1 from Super Mario Brothers 2 - As performed live by a local ragtag collective of buskers, rubbermaid percussionists and an out of tune player piano - Whenever the above four tunes are not being played, this will be performed endlessly and repeatedly. Perfect musical accompaniment to the full spread of raw root vegetables and curious, fizzy potions that will be served as refreshments.

...I think I prefer the happy funeral.

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #40 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- Theme to World 1-1 from Super Mario Brothers 2 As performed live by a local ragtag collective of buskers, rubbermaid percussionists and an out of tune player piano - Whenever the above four tunes are not being played, this will be performed endlessly and repeatedly. Perfect musical accompaniment to the full spread of raw root vegetables and curious, fizzy potions that will be served as refreshments.

This is the best idea, ever.
floatsmile.png

Jul 9, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #42 of 56
Well thankee, GDV. Good to meet another Kinks appreciator.

Waterloo Sunset (The Doors notwithstanding) is the best song ever written. As in ever. IMHO
biggrin.gif

What The Kinks conveyed in what, three minutes, takes others' whole albums to get near. And they still don't. The perfect pop single, transcends its genre. Chokes me up every time I hear it (& I've been hearing it a long time). Certainly makes living in London that bit more special...& I love living here anyways.

Nick Drake and Mingus? You have consummate taste, GDV
beerchug.gif

Jul 9, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #43 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Electric Funeral
biggrin.gif
I don't really know what my serious answer might be....this topic asks a question i've never even imagined...

LOL!

seriously. some of my own music. maybe this one.

final act of hubris.

Jul 9, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #44 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nick Drake and Mingus? You have consummate taste, GDV
beerchug.gif

Back atcha, fella!

Back to the Kinks, between Two Sisters, Lazy Old Sun and Waterloo Sunset they already had an innovative masterpiece, but pile on the other tunes (and bonus tracks, if you bought the CD after 1998) and you have a bonafide slab of 24k gold! Me loves me some Ray Davies. The British Brian Wilson, in my eyes, probably why so many Kinks songs would fit right into a funeral setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back