Top 5 MP3 Players of 2009( Anythingbutipod.com Review)
Dec 21, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #31 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by kirtar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that abi exists to give attention to things besides the ipod, which gets most of the media attention.

That was my impression of them as well. I don't think they hold any bias against apple products in particular; they're just out to spread to word for everything else.

Dec 21, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #32 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In terms of 'audiophile' aspects, they're for example already starting from the premise for example that the cartoon sound delivered by BBE et al is 'high quality'. There's no basis of comparison if you're going to set the bar at that nonsensical level.

Not quite sure what you're saying here. Do you mean they're automatically putting certain brands like Cowon on a pedestal, saying they're "high quality," but don't really have a "definition" of "high quality" to begin with?

Quote:

Cnet actually are just as, if not more objective in their briefer mentions of audio quality. They understand who they're reviewing for, but abi et al seem to have have pretensions their reviewers would be hard pressed to support in reality. In terms of readily tangibles, the reviews are usually very good... but in terms of niches which need more preparation to be truly useful in objective terms, I can't really say (for the players that I have/had, which is admittedly most of them) they have any more authority than a much-derided Cnet review.

Watch their Westone 3 video review. It's basically: they sound really good and are kind of big, but they're lightweight, have a nice cable, and are totally worth it. Their reviews for SE530's and TF10's aren't much different. If people are going to spend that much on headphones, are they really going to trust a review that brief and that vague, especially when all the other high-end IEMs have very similar reviews?

Their DAP reviews seem to go further into the SQ aspect, but I'd feel better if they'd make it clear which headphones and/or IEMs they use to review with all their DAPs. They specify with some, but not all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cnet 5th gen Nano review
Sound quality is not one of the Nano's (or any iPod's) strong suits. Apple has gone another year without introducing any sound-enhancement settings to the iPod line beyond its traditional slew of EQ presets. To be fair, while the iPod Nano doesn't offer the sonic richness and advanced EQ settings of a Sony X-Series or Cowon S9 player, its audio sounds balanced and should please most listeners. To make a dramatic improvement to any iPod's sound performance, we highly recommend upgrading from the stock Apple earbuds.

The iBud upgrade reccomendation is nice, but they're making it seem like the biggest difference between the S9, X, and 5th gen Nano is better EQ settings. Surely the internal components have an impact on sound quality too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cnet Clip+ Review
The good news is that the Clip+ features the same audio chip found in the Clip, meaning it offers a signal-to-noise ratio of 92dB. In layman's terms, that means this player is capable of providing great sound quality--if you swap out the included cheapo earbuds for something decent, that is. We used the Shure SE310s for the majority of testing and found the Clip+ to be comparable to its predecessor. Music sounds clear and balanced, with plenty of high-end detail and a nice, warm midrange. Bass response is decent, with no distortion, though we think it could use some more oomph. As such, we think that hip-hop and electronica don't shine as much on this player as on something like the Sony S-Series Walkman, but on the whole, all genres perform well, and those with an eclectic taste in music should be satisfied. Also, we're happy to report that the FM radio reception of the Clip+ is better than that of the Clip, which suffered a bit in that area.

Here, they go into detail of sound quality, but they make it seem like the Clip+ itself is somewhat bass-lacking. They're making it seem like the SE310s are completely neutral, and what they're hearing is a characteristic of the Clip+, not the SE310s. They do mention some Sony players, so they're doing more research than I thought, but it would be comforting if they used better IEMs for such a review.

Quote:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that abi exists to give attention to things besides the ipod, which gets most of the media attention.

Honestly, how many people can name another DAP besides something from the iPod line?

Dec 21, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #33 of 73
internal componentes... thats one of the things that are most disapointing about the ipod, the components are good, but theres no effort put in to tunning them, so it sounds splattered and lifeless,

i plugged in my IE8 to a ipod touch and ipod classic in an apple store (i was with my S9 at the time), and the audio coming form the ipods felt fuzzy, slow and smudged, with little dept it it,

Dec 21, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #34 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by bba1973 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, how many people can name another DAP besides something from the iPod line?

heh I still use a rio carbon, (well, actually ce2100, but w/e). At the time I got it, the battery life was great compared to the ipod (almost definitely because of the screen), so I was happy.

anyways...
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/about.php

While the founder of the site personally doesn't like the ipod (from his experience with them), the site was made "to show people their alternatives and to educate them so they are able to make their own informed decisions." There's enough information out there about the ipod line, and not enough information about just about everything else (in comparison).

Dec 21, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #36 of 73
Assuming the Clip+ sounds roughly like the Fuze, I simply don't see what people are praising it about. To me the latter sounded muddy and muffled detail I could easily make out on my 5.5G ipod/H320 iriver. In terms of compactness, expansion slot, mike, radio and otherwise having great features for the price I can't fault it, but I think people are being mislead if they think it's the be all and end all of portable audio.

Dec 21, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #37 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecramer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive been kicking around buying a new portable rig for a month and then amazon ran the triple fi sale and my iem//earbud took a major leap so know it is time to up grade so now which player should i buy SQ is the major factor if i want to inter act i will pull my phone out i'm thinking zune or cowon

which one
zune hd
zune 120
cowon s9

i own 3k+ cd's i do albums not tracks if that makes a difference.

ed

From what I've read on different blogs/forums, the S9 sounds better to most people than the Zunes, though they're no slouch in themselves. The S9 also has a custom equalizer, AMOLED screen, and supports divx/xvid format videos.

Dec 21, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #38 of 73
Interesting, the Sansaclip might just be what I'm looking for. Tbh until I read this article, I'd never heard of it.

Sounds good though and I think I'm going to buy it.

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #39 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by The-One /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, the Sansaclip might just be what I'm looking for. Tbh until I read this article, I'd never heard of it.

Sounds good though and I think I'm going to buy it.

Sansa's been around for some time now. The Clip is probably the easiest dap device to use. It plays music and thats all it does. You cannot beat the simplicity of that little player.

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #40 of 73
yes, easy to use, cheap, and good sound quality, it`s why abi ranked it no.1

but i doubt if sansa still can no.1 for 2010, there will be no Sansa Clip++ and their high-end model Sansa View cannot compete. 3 korean company already give information for their next gen ( cowon with J3, iriver with k1/k2, and also Samsung).

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #41 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

but i doubt if sansa still can no.1 for 2010, there will be no Sansa Clip++ and their high-end model Sansa View cannot compete. 3 korean company already give information for their next gen ( cowon with J3, iriver with k1/k2, and also Samsung).

PLus there are 3 new Chinese brands join in, Hioundaudio,( AMP3, Studio, ROCOO, ) Telast( T51), Hifiman( 801), 2010 will be a "hifi DAP" year I think.

Dec 22, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #42 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You really think Sansa's going to sit back and see their marketshare shrink while others are gaining?? Cooooooooooome on man
smily_headphones1.gif
It's rather smart not to give information on their upcoming products.

Dec 22, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #43 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverfi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PLus there are 3 new Chinese brands join in, Hioundaudio,( AMP3, Studio, ROCOO, ) Telast( T51), Hifiman( 801), 2010 will be a "hifi DAP" year I think.

I'd rather have 2010 be a gapless DAP year. I'm not too impressed by a hi-fi DAP if it can't reproduce the CD experience properly.

Dec 22, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #44 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverfi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

what is ROCOO?? is that a dap with amp function (amp3) or amp with dap function (studio I) ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back