Top 5 Hip Hop Artist of all Time
Apr 9, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #226 of 233
I don't know about my top 5 favorite hip-hop artists but up there is Nas, Jay-Z & Biggie . . . I hate how Biggie spits a line about his homie raping and killing kids in the song What's Beef though . . . that's just not cool.

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #227 of 233
... So hard to do, so I'm going to mention artists active from 2000 ----->

5. The Roots
4. Common
3. Lil Wayne
2. Lupe Fiasco
1. MF DOOM

Apr 12, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #228 of 233
I don't listen to rap really but enjoy the beat-making process so I'll list my top 5 hip-hop producers...

1. RZA :: Incredibly versatile, which shows his skill in music as a whole.
2. M.F Doom :: Doesn't get enough credit for the beats he has made (also probably my favorite rapper).
3. Anitek :: If you ever get a chance, check him out
4. 9th Wonder :: Very knowledgeable and gives sampling a better name.
5. Sicknature :: Dem Snowgoons beats!

I would of course mentioned people that I like more who happen to make beat-music. I just don't consider having tons of music and a few with a rapper on it considered hip-hop (eg Nujabes, not a hiphop producer but amazing beat-maker).

Apr 16, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #231 of 233

Quote:
I'm giving this a second go.. in no particular order
1) Army of the Pharaohs
2) Immortal Technique
3) Notorious BIG
4) Wu Tang Clan
5) Rakim

Thoughts?

expand ur taste beyond the east coast.... im not serious but thats a common taste preference for a lot of hip-hop fans. im tired of the same old lets take rap back to the old days sound. i like progression in hip-hop.

Apr 16, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #232 of 233

Quote:
expand ur taste beyond the east coast.... im not serious but thats a common taste preference for a lot of hip-hop fans. im tired of the same old lets take rap back to the old days sound. i like progression in hip-hop.

Duly noted. I've listened to a fair bit of rap. I've listened to Pac and whatnot, but although he is a good lyricist, I'm not as impressed with him. As for progression, I don't think Lil Wayne and Drake are progression. I like people like Immortal Technique who use their music to take a stance. Educated rappers who use vocabulary.

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #233 of 233

Quote:
Duly noted. I've listened to a fair bit of rap. I've listened to Pac and whatnot, but although he is a good lyricist, I'm not as impressed with him. As for progression, I don't think Lil Wayne and Drake are progression. I like people like Immortal Technique who use their music to take a stance. Educated rappers who use vocabulary.

while im not a huge drake fan his last album was progressive at least the production was. lil wayne is just a trend follower nothing more. so you like socially conscious rap ey. I prefer the elitist hipster underground hip-hop that most people think is techno but in reality its just experimental hip-hop.

"educated rappers who use vocabulary" no one is better at that than aseop rock. seriously try to decipher his songs without rap genius. He raps like a poet philosopher science book.http://youtu.be/Gft-JI4MwkE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back