Top 5 Hip Hop Artist of all Time
Mar 6, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #166 of 233

Quote:
Pac and Big are both influential rappers. To be entirely honest, though, I think they receive too much credit for being hip hop's original innovators. The sad thing is, the majority of people who call themselves hip hop fans don't know the first thing about hip hop. They say, "Yo, Pac and Big man." But you ask them, "Name three reasons why Pac and Big are so influential." Or, "Give me 5 singles of theirs that never made it on the charts." They can't do it. Mostly because in reality, they don't know crap about hip hop, other than the fact that you're "supposed" to like Biggie and Pac. Well, I'm a hip hop fan, and to be honest I really don't like Pac or Biggie musically. Both of them annoy me. I don't like Big's flow, and Pac is so inconsistent. I give more credit to Rakim, hands down. I also think Nas had more to say than Biggie or Pac. 

I agree heavily with this.
I love rap so I like pac 'cause I love rap. I love real rap so I listen to Wiz cause I love real rap. I like rock so I loove u2 cause I like rock so much. I love indie cause owl city is the best cause I love indie. Ya man Wu-tang is sick cause of that one remix they had with the beatles. Ughhhhh

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #167 of 233

Quote:
I agree heavily with this.
I love rap so I like pac 'cause I love rap. I love real rap so I listen to Wiz cause I love real rap. I like rock so I loove u2 cause I like rock so much. I love indie cause owl city is the best cause I love indie. Ya man Wu-tang is sick cause of that one remix they had with the beatles. Ughhhhh

Rofl, the best is the fake Wu-Tang fans. They're the easiest out of anyone to spot. I WEAR WU TANG T-SHIRTS AND THE ONLY ALBUM I OWN IS WU TANG FOREVER! MY FAVORITE WU TANG MEMBER IS METHOD MAN BECAUSE THEY MAKE A SONG ABOUT HIM LULZ. "Name the Wu members." "uhhhh, method man... uhhhhhhhhhh....... wasn't lil wayne in wu tang too?" 

Method man is sick. I just wish there were less wu-tang posers. 

Mar 7, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #168 of 233
Yea there's a lot of hip-hop posers out there who cant name a 2Pac song besides Changes and cant name a WUtang member other than Meth... then they will be like "is Redman in Wutang?" It kind of makes me not want to listen to their music sometimes.

Speaking of Pac, I havent listened to him a while...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSgkBF6LjH4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIN4FSmsa_c

Mar 7, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #169 of 233
This song is hilarious. Leave it to Meth and Redman, haha. 

And a classic by ODB

Mar 8, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #170 of 233

Quote:
Pac and Big are both influential rappers. To be entirely honest, though, I think they receive too much credit for being hip hop's original innovators. The sad thing is, the majority of people who call themselves hip hop fans don't know the first thing about hip hop. They say, "Yo, Pac and Big man." But you ask them, "Name three reasons why Pac and Big are so influential." Or, "Give me 5 singles of theirs that never made it on the charts." They can't do it. Mostly because in reality, they don't know crap about hip hop, other than the fact that you're "supposed" to like Biggie and Pac. Well, I'm a hip hop fan, and to be honest I really don't like Pac or Biggie musically. Both of them annoy me. I don't like Big's flow, and Pac is so inconsistent. I give more credit to Rakim, hands down. I also think Nas had more to say than Biggie or Pac. 

Just wondering who's giving Pac and Big credit for being hip hop's innovators? I'm sorry but I've never heard a single person claim them an innovator of the genre.  I could list hundreds of reasons why Pac and Big were so influential but that list could be very different from your list which could be very different from another persons.  Something you have to keep in mind is both Pac and Big kept it real urban while releasing a radio hit every now and then... one of them was on the east coast / the other on the west.  Both artist were played heavily on the radio so they reached people who weren't necessarily 'hip hop' fans.  For these people.. when hip hop was brought up in conversation who were the first names to come to their mind?  Pac and Big.  They weren't really into the scene yet knew these two from their huge hits (then the whole east coast / west coast beef just blew it out of proportion).  For true hip hop heads there are so many more artist to talk about so Biggie and Pac aren't necessarily the main focus. Not that these two weren't great its just there are other artist as well.. to be honest im kinda drunk so this may be worded terribly but think of it like this..

There are people who enjoy basketball and enjoy watching their home team.  When these people have conversations about basketball who or what do you think will be the bulk of their conversation?  The home team and the players on these teams.  Now take two basketball heads who live and breathe for the sport.  They're going to have a lot more knowledge of the sport, of other teams, and of other players.  The conversation will contain more names throughout the league not necessarily the stars of their home team.  It's not that these players aren't worth talking about its just there is so much other stuff to go along with it so they get filed in with everything else.  

Tupac put a lot of heart into his lyrics but so did Rakim, Nas, KRS One, the list could go on.. but to say Nas had more to say then Pac or Big is just wrong.  Nas brought real rawness to life in the ghetto, he painted pictures with words. Pac messed with emotions. They both had their own style of expressing themselves but more often then not they touched on the same subject.  Heres a perfect example of what I'm talking about. 

You can say you prefer one style over the other but how can you honestly say that one has more to talk about then the other?  In my view both Pac and Big deserve all the credit in the world for what they brought to the table but so does every other mc out there.

Listen to these songs.. they all have their own style and emotions in them but all touch on the same subjects. It's just whatever sticks to you personally and hits you deeper is the one you prefer but to say one is better then the other is bullsh*t.  

Wow I'm stopping here.. this is the biggest rant I have ever posted anywhere but its fueled by a lot of rage with hip hop's current state.  Im not talking about whats popular because that was never the intention of hip hop im talking about how everyone sits back and complains about how terrible it is now.  The only reason its that terrible is because people are allowing it to be.  Everyones dissing the radio and such.. f*ck their radio stations.  Lets keep our own stations going with what we believe to be better music.  jklafdjklfadsjkladfsjlfadijofdj;ifasijopfadsijo im done i promise.  Im sorry for anyone who is still reading this mashed up random rant.  Time to put he bottle down and go to bedddddddddd. by the way dub beatz this isnt directed at you. night.

Mar 8, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #171 of 233

Quote:
Im not talking about whats popular because that was never the intention of hip hop im talking about how everyone sits back and complains about how terrible it is now.  The only reason its that terrible is because people are allowing it to be.  Everyones dissing the radio and such.. f*ck their radio stations.  Lets keep our own stations going with what we believe to be better music.

Isn't this thread sort of like our own radio station? Because we've been discussing and posting youtube vids of what we believe to be good hiphop for 12 pages now. Add to that the "real hiphop" thread and you've got quite a bit of discussion. On every forum I visit, hiphop-bashthreads, hiphop-recommendation threads and hiphop-appreciationthreads all end up as a big pile of proper youtube vids. I believe that's what keeps "real" hiphop alive these days, and I honestly don't know how a radio station can make a bigger contribution. Because radio stations aren't as personal and need to statisfy a far larger group which usually makes the content worse. It's not that hiphop radio stations are bad, it's just that they can't be good.

Mar 8, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #172 of 233
Ptownjungle - I got you my man. Honestly, I have to admit you probably posted one of the most intelligent, articulate and wholly argumentative statements I've seen thus far. I know exactly what you're saying, and to be quite honest I think my posts about Big and Pac are often misunderstood. My roommate often has this conversation with me. He's one of the few people left in this world that can truly appreciate real hip hop. We're a dying breed, guys. Anyways, whenever he plays a classic by Big or Pac, he'll say to me, "Yo, you're not down with Pac, right?" And my response is always, "Oh I'm down with Pac. I'm just not down with his image or so called supporters." Trust me man, I realize Pac and Big made contributions to the world of hip hop. Saying they didn't would be moronic. I think, and of course this is my opinion, that a solid 80 to a good 90% of supposed hip hop fans, like I said earlier, don't know the first thing about hip hop. I understand your basketball argument, but it doesn't exclude ignorance. It's on the same playing field as audiophllia. Is ignorance bliss? Well we sure as hell know it's not. You can claim you're into good sound and buy some Beats. Anyone with a serious interest in good sound knows that's utterly moronic. I would compare hip hop fans to skullcandy users. "Whoa, look at the pretty colors. They make a statement!" (hip hop wanabes) "Whoa, Wiz Khalifa is sick, but I know Pac and Biggie are the kings of hip hop. I'm not sure why I know that. Probably because everyone else says so... Whatever, I'll look cool if I play some Pac!" 

It's almost exactly the same. In fact, it's pathetic. I apologize for coming off as an elitest. But you know what? I consider myself an elitest when it comes to many things. Anyone who claims to be unbiased in every category is a liar. Hip hop is just one thing I absolutely refuse to let go. There's too much to be said, too much to be expressed and understood. Too much to be explained, and interpreted. It's not as cut and dry as everyone thinks. At least the real stuff isn't. You can't really find a meaning to any song put out by Soulja Boy, other than maybe him expressing him lament *not gonna say it.* Anyways, I still feel on a personal level that Nas had more to say. When I write this, I don't mean it in a literal sense at all. I think Nas had more to say simply because he was and still remains unheard by many. The same applies to Gza, and Rza, even ODB (even though he's dead), Method Man, KRS-One, MF DOOM, Rakim, Eric B, the members of Felt, dead prez and countless others.

You've heard the lyrics, "emcees get a little bit of love and think they hot, talkin bout how much money they got, all yall records sound the same i'm sick of that fake thug R&B rap scenario all day on the radio, same scenes in the video." It's absolutely ridiculous how spot on this verse is when it comes to describing hip hop today. I think I've said enough for now, haha. 

Mar 11, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #173 of 233
I love Mos Def.

Mar 11, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #175 of 233

Quote:
Black on both sides is one of the most artistic albums

Yes it is. You guys can go argue about old-school hip hop all day while I go enjoy some Mos Def and Black Star.

Mar 11, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #176 of 233

Quote:
Yes it is. You guys can go argue about old-school hip hop all day while I go enjoy some Mos Def and Black Star.

I'll just listen to old school hip hop which sounds better than either of those choices.  
wink_face.gif

Mar 11, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #177 of 233

Quote:
I'll just listen to old school hip hop which sounds better than either of those choices.  
wink_face.gif

It's not that I don't listen to old school, I have quite a few in my library, it's just kinda silly how fans argue over how 2pac is better than Biggie and vice versa or how they're so O.G. that they listen to Wu-Tang back in the day and proclaim greatness because they listened to them first and belittle newer fans trying to argue. These are really the two main arguments that I see all the time. :p

Mar 11, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #178 of 233

Quote:
It's not that I don't listen to old school, I have quite a few in my library, it's just kinda silly how fans argue over how 2pac is better than Biggie and vice versa or how they're so O.G. that they listen to Wu-Tang back in the day and proclaim greatness because they listened to them first and belittle newer fans trying to argue. These are really the two main arguments that I see all the time. :p

I don't even consider TuPac or Biggie old school but I getcha.  They are far from O.G. not that it matters.  
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 11, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #179 of 233

Quote:

Lol, this wasn't directed towards me was it? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back