Top <$300 Active speakers?
Apr 14, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #31 of 38
Yeah if I had the opportunity I would but the nearest place is about 40 minutes away and it really is not a possible option for me for certain reasons, and no where in my ****ty town has anywhere where you can audition things at the store.

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #32 of 38
We regret to inform you that the KRK Rokit Powered 6 Monitor Generation 2 Limited Edition Ferrari Grey has been discontinued. Unfortunately, we cannot fulfill your order as we will not be receiving anymore from the vendor. Your order for this has been cancelled. We apologize for any inconvenience. 

Please let us know if we can help out in any way with an alternate item. We appreciate your business.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO 
frown.gif

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #33 of 38
Steve Guttenberg and alot of other notable sites seem to shout praises for these things at this price and I gotta say they sound pretty good, I made some ****ty little pressboard stands with some scrap laying around, they are pretty lush with acoustic stuff but there does not seem to be much low/low mid presence, I do have a 8" powered sub I could use with these but then I would probably want to cut the speakers off around 100hz but I would need a reciever for that? I don't know much about the technicalities of passive speakers and the actives were my preference because of the simplicity.

There are some subs that have line level inputs and outputs that have an 80hz high pass filter on the line level out so you can do exactly that. Not a very common feature, and it tends to be in more expensive subs like the SVS SB-1000. I think some of the Def Tech subs may have that feature, too.

Apr 19, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #34 of 38
Quote:
There are some subs that have line level inputs and outputs that have an 80hz high pass filter on the line level out so you can do exactly that. Not a very common feature, and it tends to be in more expensive subs like the SVS SB-1000. I think some of the Def Tech subs may have that feature, too.

A Yamaha HS10W will achieve that goal as well.

Apr 29, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #35 of 38
The top <$300 speaker is the Focal XS Book!

Just picked up a pair a few days ago, they sound excellent.

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #36 of 38
I've got the new yamaha nx50.

They're absolutely brilliant for the price I got them for (£50) (at the annual bristol sound and vision hifi show). 
Very small, active speakers that dismantle the muddy audioengine a2's and anything in the creative gigaworks series. Really - the difference is that big. These are a balanced pair of speakers, with a mid bass hump and a slight emphasis up top as well, without having a recessed midrange. On the contrary, their midrange is exceptionally detailed. 
I'm listening now to my headphone rig:

vdac>graham slee solo ultra linear diamond edition>denon d7k

And when I switch to the speakers, as long as my positioning is right, there isn't much of a dip in SQ at all. Detailing is very nearly as strong, believe it or not. 

Very nice speakers. Excellent mids, very detailed. I couldnt believe the sound range was coming only from these small speakers in the store.

I also checked the Bose Companion stereo speakers. They cost 3 times more, and were not this rich in sound quality...a little bit more bassy though.

Jan 11, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #38 of 38
I own Rockit 5's with O2 Dac/Amp, it's a great combo, im very pleased with how they sound, I also have a pair of Modified Denon AHD2000's that I use for headphones. Since getting the speakers my headphone listening is reduced, the phones definately sound better, obviously, but the speakers sound pretty damn good too. They are in no way comparable to Klipsch Promedia's you have now, which i've also owned in the past.

If I did it again though, i'd build my own speakers and use a cheap T-AMP. Not that im not satsified with the clean all in one solution that is Active monitors, because I am, Im just curious. I'd be particularly interested from a fun, and value standpoint at building these:

https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/speedster

Anecdotally, I did build my mother in law an entire HT setup with nothing but Behringer Truth 2030P's these are the non-active version of the speaker, so they have no electronics, front ported. I was very very impressed with their performance for what I paid at the time, I think 130$ a pair. Though there are too many complaints of failed electronics for the 2030A so that rules them out immediately. 3 Pairs with a Refurb Onkyo and (Now out of business) elemental design subwoofer, is a killer HT setup for under 1000$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back