Top <$300 Active speakers?
Apr 7, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #16 of 38
The rockit 5's are around 5 times bigger and heavier - so I'd be surprised if they don't sound better. There's much more room for more 'speaker.'
At the bristol show yamaha were selling them for half price - they're around £90 on amazon. Amazing for the size, convenience and price.  

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #17 of 38
Quote:
The rockit 5's are around 5 times bigger and heavier - so I'd be surprised if they don't sound better. There's much more room for more 'speaker.'
At the bristol show yamaha were selling them for half price - they're around £90 on amazon. Amazing for the size, convenience and price.  

Yamaha always puts out excellent stuff when they decide to put an effort into it.

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #18 of 38
Trying to decide between the Behringer Truth B3030A and Rockit 6 G2's Hrrrmmmm.

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #19 of 38
Quote:
Trying to decide between the Behringer Truth B3030A and Rockit 6 G2's Hrrrmmmm.

I've heard nothing but bad things about the Behringer Truth, best to stay away from those.

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #20 of 38
If you are looking at monitors for purposes other than mixing, listen carefully before buying.  They can be very clinical and revealing, which is great for mixing, but some people don't really enjoy for more casual use.  I have Yamaha HS80Ms and a headphone amp with Sennheiser HD600s and the headphones are far more "enjoyable" for listening to music than the monitors are.  Just something to keep in mind.

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #21 of 38
I have to agree that some monitors can be VERY flat and accurate, however the lower end of the market is more "consumer" in terms of reproduction.  I found the KRK RP series to be more of a gentle U shaped response lending more to the bottom end.  Yamaha's seemed to have a more refined top end with sparkly detail, and the ADAMs I ended up with were more detailed still but with a mid-range presentation that was more "alive" and a little less harshness in the high's.  Many people rate Genelec monitors but the ones I listened to felt flat and far  too critical it was almost odd in comparison to others.  I am no professional audio engineer so the detail level is not the most important factor to me.

Everyone hears things differently and has a preference on what they enjoy.  The bigger your budget the more options that open up to you, however I think the KRK RP's are a good bang for buck starting point.

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:
Take a look at these http://www.guitarcenter.com/KRK-Rokit-Powered-6-Monitor-Generation-2-Limited-Edition-Ferrari-Grey-106199060-i1562750.gc

Based on his listening preferences and budget, those seem like the perfect set for him. Good find.

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #25 of 38

Anyone have any experience with the Focal XS Book desktop speakers?

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #26 of 38
Chris I got a email about those when they were released, and while they are an all in one unit I found them a little overpriced in the UK.  They have master/slave system of amping rather than dedicated amps.  Also the cone size is kinda limiting for bottom end frequencies, I am sure they would be fine for watching films etc but for audio bliss I would rather spend a little extra :D

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #27 of 38
Quote:
Chris I got a email about those when they were released, and while they are an all in one unit I found them a little overpriced in the UK.  They have master/slave system of amping rather than dedicated amps.  Also the cone size is kinda limiting for bottom end frequencies, I am sure they would be fine for watching films etc but for audio bliss I would rather spend a little extra :D

They are $300 in Canada which is not bad, assuming they actually sound good!
I've never heard a pair.

Thanks for the reply!

Apr 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #28 of 38
So I picked up 2 Pioneer SP-BS22-LR passive bookshelves and stole the Audiosource AMP-100 we were using to power the floorstanders in my living room, figured If I did not like them I would just send them back to best buy, I picked them up for 120 for the pair and I am using my O2/Odac as a preamp.

Steve Guttenberg and alot of other notable sites seem to shout praises for these things at this price and I gotta say they sound pretty good, I made some ****ty little pressboard stands with some scrap laying around, they are pretty lush with acoustic stuff but there does not seem to be much low/low mid presence, I do have a 8" powered sub I could use with these but then I would probably want to cut the speakers off around 100hz but I would need a reciever for that? I don't know much about the technicalities of passive speakers and the actives were my preference because of the simplicity.

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Take a look at these http://www.guitarcenter.com/KRK-Rokit-Powered-6-Monitor-Generation-2-Limited-Edition-Ferrari-Grey-106199060-i1562750.gc

After seeing this though I am wondering if I should do some A/B with the Rokit 6, I was only able to find the rokit 6's for 200 each but for 129 I am thinking they may be a better value HMMMMMMMM!

Anyways here is a photo of the Pioneers, they are sitting a little high haha if I keep them ill probably take an inch off the middle beams.

Thanks for the recommendations and stuff guys! what do you guys think? I am thinking I should order the Rokits and A/B.

Also the sub woofer I would be using stops working when it is planted on all 4 legs and if tilted backwards it starts working, you think this is just a loose wire inside?

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #29 of 38
Ordered em, around $280 shipped on those Rockit 6's they would normally go for 200 a speaker before shipping and tax, ******* awesome find Alv4426, I called the closest guitar center near me and they did not have any in store at that price, the guy that answered the phone did not know about em being 130 a piece on the site and thanked me for telling him and said he was gonna order some when he got home haha, I don't know if he was serious but it was funny.

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #30 of 38
Ive had mine for a little over a year and for the price they are very good. Although I used my negotiating magic and got them a little cheaper than you
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
. They look way way better than the normal Rokits to me as well. I would have recommended heading out to a Guitar Center to try them out which is an excellent feature of those stores. They have like 20 different models all hooked up in a room and you can switch easily between speakers listening to the same tracks. For me I found that I liked a few other speakers more than my 6's but they were all also much much more expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back