Top 10 Travel Headphones
Dec 3, 2007 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

ltucker305

Head-Fier
Hi All,

I have a set of Grado SR60 which sound great for the price but not in a noisy train station, airplane, train or mall.

What do you recommend for this type of scenario? I am a commuter and have ultimate ears but do not like the build quality(keep losing ear attachments). I am researching but for the top brands it is hard to try them out.

Sincerely,
Larry

Dec 3, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 33
Budget?

Ultrasones fold up which is pretty cool...PROline 750 perhaps?

Dec 3, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 33
If you wanted the best isolation, IEMs are the way to go. I'm not sure if there are issues in build quality with Ultimate Ears IEMs as you have encountered, but all the IEMs I've tried seemed like they could last a long time.

If you are considering options other than IEMs, you could try giving portable supraaural headphones a shot. For the best isolation and decent sound quality (better than most IEMs, IMO), you could consider the Sennheiser HD 25 (often called the HD25-1). If you want the best sound quality you can get out of a portable supraaural headphone, the Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 might be it, but it comes at a price.

Beside those options, there's also noise-canceling headphones, which apparently work pretty well in noisy situations. Usually, however, they are not sought for sound quality, though you could probably find some that sound pretty good anyway. One that sounds as good as a Sennheiser HD555 (based on a review) is the Sennheiser PXC450, which are quite expensive as well, not to mention that they're somewhat less portable.

What exactly is your budget?
tongue.gif

Dec 3, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #6 of 33
I'ld go for some nice IEMs

Dec 3, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #8 of 33
Shure SE530 is my recommendation to you. They are comfortable enough with foam sleeves that I don't even feel them in or around my ears. They are not fatiguing at all, they have a very large soundstage, and they're very portable.

Dec 4, 2007 at 11:33 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ltucker305 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi All,

I decided that IEM's are too fragile for me. I would like to know are there any CANS under $300 that you could listen to on a train or in a train station.

Sincerely,
Larry

If you want isolation and portability, the best option would probably be the Sennheiser HD 25 (aka HD25-1). With the extra money in your budget you could get a pretty good cable to replace the stock steel one. Skylab just informed me that the HD 25 is in another league in terms of isolation in comparison to the ATH-ESW9. The HD 25 is also very durable.

Dec 4, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #13 of 33
Yes the ATH-ESW9 sound a little better, but the Senns have it all over them in isolation and durability. And they are more discrete looking than the very up market looks of the ATs. I would go for the HD25-1s for everyday use.

Dec 4, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ltucker305 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi All,

I decided that IEM's are too fragile for me.

The only ones really fragile are some of the Shure models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back