Top 10 classical Albums. Which are your favorites?
Jan 2, 2012 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tdogzthmn

Sponsor: Drop
I'd like to delve a bit more into classical music and I would like to know what your favorite recordings are.  Recently I have been enjoying Bach, Vivaldi, and Beethoven.  Chopin and Rachmaninov are also on my list of composers to explore.  Any input from those with experience would be great.

Thanks!

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Jan 3, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 6

I think the place to start would be from knowing what works by Bach, Vivaldi, and Beethoven you've listened to, and what about them made you want to hear more.  If you're interested in exploring classical music in general, you might consider the RCA Living Stereo set, or the Decca Sounds Set, and DGG has something similar as well.  Standard rep, decent performances, at a great price for sampling.

However if you're looking for Rachmaninov consider:

The piano concertos with Ashkenazy / Previn
Etudes-Tableaux Hélène Grimaud
Isle of the Dead is one of my favorite pieces I have the recording with Askenazy conducting, but it's the only recording I have of it, so I can't speak for it in particular.

More to the letter of what you asked for here's a list of 10 composers and compositions I like, most with the recording I own.  Even excluding opera, my 10 favorites (at the moment) would be off the beaten track.  Hell, I"m not sure they've even seen the track.   

Sibelius: En Sage & Lemminkainen Legends (definitely the Mikko Frank recording)

Berlioz: Symphony Fantastique I like the Simon Rattle version

Grieg & Schumann piano concertos I'm partial to the Kovacevich reading of them

Debussy: La Mer Dutoit

Rimsky-Korsakov:  Scheherazade Reiner or Nolan

Borodin: On the Steppes of Central Asia (really cool where the caravans pass you hear their themes one in a minor and the other in A major play at the same time, then each fades into the distance)

Smetana:  Ma Vlast particularly The Moldau   Mackerras

Respighi: The Birds, (or the Roman Trilogy) (I have Jansons, Lopez-Corbos, Reiner, but no particular favorite)

Brahms: Symphonies (Haitink) or the Variations on a theme by Hayden

Dvorak: Symphony 9  István Kertész:

BTW classical recordings are much like headphones.  It depends on what you want to hear, what you listen for. The "discussion" of the merits of each can easily rival the most energetic thread on this site about any 2 headphones.  

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 6
I agree with nyvar.
Head to your local barnes and noble, and pick up any of the outstanding Living Stereo SACDs.
I personally like the Fritz Reiner stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back