Tool - "Lateralus"
Feb 20, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 55
I agree, Lateralus is quite a well mastered album and everything just sounds great on it.

Feb 20, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #4 of 55
And even better if your CD player can decode HDCD. And even BETTER if you have it on vinyl.
3000smile.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #5 of 55
Agreed: amazing album. i love listening to an old album on new headphones, its so much different.

Feb 20, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #7 of 55
my lateralus vinyl sounds rubbish! the cd version is much much better. Awesome album to listen to on headphones, demands attention. i literally cant do anything else until the last track finishes. can be bad at times. allthough aenema isn't as well produced, it still demands that same attention.

Feb 20, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #9 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my lateralus vinyl sounds rubbish! the cd version is much much better. Awesome album to listen to on headphones, demands attention. i literally cant do anything else until the last track finishes. can be bad at times. allthough aenema isn't as well produced, it still demands that same attention.

Aenima is actually better mastered....

Try listening to both of them back to back on a good system.

And read this:
http://www.digido.com/modules.php?na...howpage&pid=45

Quote:

Aenima - Tool
Mastered by Bob Ludwig. Engineered by David Bottrill. An example of a progressive metal CD for the 90’s that is not smashed to the wall. The squashing is for artistic effect rather than absolute loudness or mastering volume. A very large dynamic range makes it very attractive. Can be harsh when loud, but that is the sound. Volcano Entertainment, 61422-31087-2, ©1996.

Lateralus and 10000 Days is better if you like louder.

Feb 21, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #10 of 55
Since i read this thread ive listened to it three times, and im starting to think about all the fibonacci series rumors...
OP, what order should i listen to it?
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #11 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lateralus and 10000 Days is better if you like louder.

I think Aenima and Lateralus are closer and a considerable step above 10,000 days in terms of mastering and loudness control. If I'm listening to the former two albums I can leave the volume at the same level, but once 10,000 days starts to play, I'm practically forced to lower the volume a few notches; very fustrating.
mad.gif

Undertow is probably even better but it lacks the production values of Aenima and Lateralus.

Feb 21, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #12 of 55
When Tool's album Undertow came out, I really liked most of it. Then Aenema came out and I really got into that cd but wasn't "obsessed" with it. Then Lateralus came out and something about it really struck a chord with me. Maybe it had to do with the things going on in my life at the time or whatever. But to me, the album is exactly like Maynard says in Parabola... A Holy Gift. It honestly did become a spiritual type feeling to me when I listened to it. And it still is today. While I love 10,000 Days, Lateralus has a special place in my heart as one of my top 5 favorite albums of all time. I5 hope someday we will see a remastering of 10,000 Days. It had a profound effect on me as well, especially Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days because my father had recently suffered 3 major strokes in the matter of a week and ended up almost completely paralized. I fimnally got to see Tool in concert for the first time back in September. And I know this is just begging for being flamed as the antics of a fanboy, but when I heard those two songs sung live, I literally started crying... at a friggin' Tool concert. Thankfully I have a bootleg recording of that concert.

Anyways, back on topic, someone had mentions that the recently released Japanese version of the Tool catalog actually sounded much better than the US versions. I've been half temped to buy them but they are $30US each at the moment.

Feb 21, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #13 of 55
OMG, I just realized some past idiot ripped this in 128kbps!

GAH!

*runs around*

GAH!

Feb 21, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #14 of 55
ahaha I was actually already listening to Lateralus when I stumbled across this thread...
It is one album I never tire of, I have listened to it almost on a daily basis for a few years now....Seeing them live is an amazing experience...

wings for Marie is one song which gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it, the emotion in that song is incredible...and seeing it live almost brought me to tears!

they truly are such a perfect band, I cannot nitpick any one weakness, each member is very gifted - particularly Danny...man I had my eyes fixed on him almost the whole concert...(my brother is a drummer of 15 years, and worships him).

Adam Jones is a very talented guitarist (not in the same way as a Vai or satriani...but he writes such catchy musical tunes that really strike a chord with me (pun intended).

I was a little dissapointed that 10kd is mastered a little hot, Lateralus and Aenima are very - very well produced for rock albums.

I honestly think, in 30 years time people will look back on them as the modern day Pink Floyd...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back