Took the plunge... Samsung DLP HDTV
Jun 10, 2005 at 9:23 AM Post #31 of 36
Samsung's upcoming 1080p DLP sets have me forgetting about the 1080p Qualia's.
wink.gif

-Ed

Jun 10, 2005 at 9:26 AM Post #32 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX
I heard DLP's can't play video games, it damages their screen or something like that. Can anyone confirm this?

Absolutely untrue.

I play games (XBox and PC) on my Samsung DLP set all the time. I too use it as a huge computer monitor (via DVI), and leave it on with a still screen for hours at a time.

Not a single issue with burn in, it's just not possible with this type of TV.

-Ed

Jun 10, 2005 at 10:25 AM Post #33 of 36
That looks great, Nick. You must be pretty wowed by it still. I liken the experience to the first time you hear a truly clean rig... you just don't know how you got by for so long before. And I don't even watch that much TV.

MY rig is a little older, a 34" Philips widescreen HD monitor (CRT). I liked it a lot at first, but then I got it tuned up, and made some nice component cables (Canare L5CFB), and picked up a DVD player with the Faroudja DCDi chip, it went to another level. It really is astonishing.

A friend in CT recently bought a DLP colorwheel set, and I was pretty wowed by it, very tempting. But I think based on the amount of viewing I do that I'd rather go minimalistic next time, and use the small widescreen LCD for news and occasional use, and have a nice projector for movies. On when you want it, and gone when you don't. Seems that nice DLP projectors in HD spec are coming down at last.

You might think this silly, but if you have not seen it yet, borrow Finding Nemo or Toy Story. Kid's movies, but they are particularly amazing, technically. T2 and Step into Liquid both have HD versions available that you can run with your PC connected... also stunning!

Congratulations, it's beautiful.
cool.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 11:56 AM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Dangerous
BIG WOW on the Qualia 006/Wilson setup. That setup is well into the six figures for the speakers and display alone. I bet they have a killer source driving the system. You MUST spend some time with that... although it may ruin you permanently.

As I said in a PM to someone last night, I'm not positive it was a Qualia. I just remember that it was a $13,000 TV. I don't know how many of those there are out there. Also, I don't think they had Wilsons in that room, they had Martin Logans of some kind.

The best setup there I've seen is the combo of Wilson Maxx 2 speakers and VTL 800W tube monos, and I'm not sure of the source. But there are other setups similar to that in the store, and things are always changing. They sell a lot of different speakers though. They're working right now on what they said is their "Show Off Room." I don't remember what any of the equipment was and I didn't see the room since it's not done yet. But it'll be something like $500,000 worth of equipment once they're done.

And if there's any time when I don't need to be doing anything, I can listen to whatever I want. Suddenly a brown bag lunch is looking very appealing...

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:04 PM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Samsung's upcoming 1080p DLP sets have me forgetting about the 1080p Qualia's.
wink.gif

-Ed

Sorry for the noob question, but do sets that support 1080 also support the 480i/p and 720i/p modes as well? Or does it vary depending on the model?

Jun 10, 2005 at 2:21 PM Post #36 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
Sorry for the noob question, but do sets that support 1080 also support the 480i/p and 720i/p modes as well? Or does it vary depending on the model?

They'll all accept 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i. (There's no standard for 720i.) Since we're talking about fixed-pixel digital displays, they all have a native resolution of 1920x1080, and any signal they get will be converted internally to 1080p so the hardware can display it.

There is some question at this point as to whether the upcoming 1080p sets will actually accept a full 1080p/60Hz signal, because the current generation of HDMI receiver chipsets can't handle that much bandwidth (although newly announced ones can). It's possible that you'll only be able to feed them a 1080i/60 signal (which uses half the bandwidth) and let them deinterlace internally, which is annoying. There are no real 1080p/60 sources at this point (apart from certain very expensive video scalers), but it seems likely that PlayStation 3, and possibly the next-generation DVD formats, will provide native 1080p/60 signal. (Of course, they'll also offer 1080i or 720p for sets that can't accept 1080p/60, so they'll still work with current sets.) This may be a big deal, or not -- there's a lot of argument over at AVSForum about this question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Dangerous
Lip-sync issues may occur with any HDTV technology whenever you split the signal. The solution is to send both audio and video to the same place... either the TV or the receiver. HDMI is helpful in this regard since both signals travel down the same wire. Digitally, no less. Output quality is an improvement over component cables. I've seen both, and the all-digital HDMI connection is the winner.

Nick, quite true -- I mention it specifically in connection with gaming because you can have issues with fast-reaction games (like golf games where you have to hit the button when a meter hits a particular level), where the picture on the screen is lagged slightly and the player winds up reacting a fraction of a second too late. It's a matter of the picture and the gamer getting out sync, rather than the picture and the audio. Some people seem to have this problem, some don't. I notice that some newer sets, like the Toshiba DLPs and some of the Sonys, have a special "Game Mode" setting specifically to decrease this lag. (It's also more of an issue with PS2 than XBox -- XBox games can all do 480p, so the picture only needs to be scaled, but most PS2 games are 480i natively, which requires the extra work of deinterlacing as well as scaling.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back