Took the plunge... Samsung DLP HDTV
Jun 4, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #16 of 36
The upper half of me yearns to snatch a Samsung DLP HDTV soon, but my lower half prefers to wait until at least 2007, when the festive OLED HDTV will be ready for consumption. (Apparently, the point-at-this,-eunuch! sizemodel is less pleased with her photographer than her smile might initially suggest.)

Jun 5, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrypt
The upper half of me yearns to snatch a Samsung DLP HDTV soon, but my lower half prefers to wait until at least 2007, when the festive OLED HDTV will be ready for consumption. (Apparently, the point-at-this,-eunuch! sizemodel is less pleased with her photographer than her smile might initially suggest.)

Your "lower half" will have to wait even longer for OLED, unless you have lots and lots of cash, or you are willing to have a smaller screen.

Really hope there are some cost reducing innovations for OLED's soon.

I could almost live with a 40" OLED set if the price was right...........

-Ed

Jun 5, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #18 of 36
thread crap intended, nd, i thought you were going to make your presence felt around here more often. although i suspect you have a life as much as some of us others would like to admit.....

Jun 5, 2005 at 8:09 AM Post #19 of 36
Aloha, Scryptus Maximus. Indeed, OLED is a sweet looking TV technology. Viewing angle is enormous. The "eventual dimming" and burn-in factors inherent in LED technology are a bit worrisome though. Now that I use my TV as a giant monitor (like now), the last thing I want is a permanent shadow of the Windows taskbar across the bottom of the screen.

I recognize you as a gent who holds out for the finest things in life, so why not indulge now? The latest iteration of Samsung DLP's are fantastic machines. They will keep their value relatively well until the OLED is ready.

Fyrfytrhoges: You craphead! I'm still here.
icon10.gif
If you want a really shocking update: I sold my AKG-K1000 and have listed my RKV.... the amp I would "never sell". Truth be told, I rarely used them despite their fantastic sound. My house is large enough that I can blast my speakers when playing Battlefield 1942 or watching TV without fear of retaliation from others. I've been denied the full "speaker experience" for years due to apartments, shared living, cranky girlfriends, etc. Now that I have the space (and a great lady), I'm indulging. So yeah, I've managed to carve out a little stability in this chaotic world. Not rich, not poor, just happily cruising along and taking care of the basics. I'm living a quality middle-class existence and enjoying the hell out of it.

Jun 9, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #20 of 36
WOW

Just hooked up the new HDTV cable box and viewed my first real high definition signal. It's incredibly good. Better than my best DVD, by far. I can't wait for Blu-Ray to take off. It may mean buying all my movies again in the new format, but screw it... it will be worth it!

C'mon Blu-Ray!

Jun 9, 2005 at 11:11 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX
I heard DLP's can't play video games, it damages their screen or something like that. Can anyone confirm this?

Playstation looks great on mine. No damage so far

Jun 9, 2005 at 12:19 PM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Dangerous
My house is large enough that I can blast my speakers when playing Battlefield 1942 or watching TV without fear of retaliation from others. I've been denied the full "speaker experience" for years due to apartments, shared living, cranky girlfriends, etc. Now that I have the space (and a great lady), I'm indulging. So yeah, I've managed to carve out a little stability in this chaotic world. Not rich, not poor, just happily cruising along and taking care of the basics. I'm living a quality middle-class existence and enjoying the hell out of it.

I envy you. If i owned a house i'd go all out on a HT system and speaker rig.

Jun 9, 2005 at 1:33 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

I heard DLP's can't play video games, it damages their screen or something like that. Can anyone confirm this?

Plasma screens can be damaged because of the burn in. I think DLP is fine though

Jun 9, 2005 at 5:28 PM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Plasma and CRT (direct-view or rear-projection) are prone to burn-in, although actual experiences seem to vary. DLP and LCD are not. (However, there can be timing/lag issues, particularly with some of the Samsung DLP sets, where the onscreen display is delayed enough by the set's internal processing that it screws up the timing for fast-action games.)

Now, for the ultimate in rear-projection, find someplace near you that's got a Sony Qualia 006 on display. It's a 70" SXRD set (Sony's implementation of LCoS, Liquid Crystal on Silicon), and it is unbelievably gorgeous. Of course, as anyone who's shopped for the Qualia 010 headphones could guess, it's also ridiculously priced -- $13K. Sony's supposed to be coming out with 50" and 60" Grand Wegas that use SXRD towards the end of this year at much more reasonable prices, though.

Incidentally, for those who are seeking information overload on such matters, AVS Forum is the place to visit...

Jun 9, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #26 of 36
I was soooooo set on buying that same Samsung DLP when a deal came along for a 51" Sony Grand Wega that I simlpy couldn't ignore so Melissa and I jumped on it instead. Haven't regretted it for a second but that Samsung is a NICE,and I mean REAL NICE television.

One thing I didn't realize was as big of a deal until I did it was calibrating the colors and such on it. I figured the factory calibration was probably adequate and then my kid brother's friend came over and properly calibrated it for me and the picture is just that much better. Not night and day better, but "Oh MY" better.

Best of luck with the new toy. Only advice I can offer is to not to plug in your PS2 and play GT4 on it. Once you do everyone else in the house will hate you because they can't get you to stop playing long enough for them to watch something they want to on it (that is until I got a second steering wheel controller for my wife and started racing head to head against her
biggrin.gif
). That and moving to a smaller screen will always feel inadequate afterwards

Jun 9, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #27 of 36
cool... that's a purty set!

i just got into the HD game too... and the PQ is jawdropping.

i almost bought a dlp, but opted for a plasma instead. the burn-in is really only an issue in the first 100-200 hours, and even then the danger has been minimized in the latest generation screens. also, the newest screens are rated to have lifespans of 60,000 hours or longer... equal to CRTs.

DLPs had me wary because of bulb ($300-400 a pop) and wheel issues. folks at avsforum have had their bulbs crap out after only 12-18 months. also i read some reports that some people got nauseous from the efffects of the spinning of the wheel.
blink.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
Now, for the ultimate in rear-projection, find someplace near you that's got a Sony Qualia 006 on display. It's a 70" SXRD set (Sony's implementation of LCoS, Liquid Crystal on Silicon), and it is unbelievably gorgeous. Of course, as anyone who's shopped for the Qualia 010 headphones could guess, it's also ridiculously priced -- $13K.

Double Post

Jun 9, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
Now, for the ultimate in rear-projection, find someplace near you that's got a Sony Qualia 006 on display. It's a 70" SXRD set (Sony's implementation of LCoS, Liquid Crystal on Silicon), and it is unbelievably gorgeous. Of course, as anyone who's shopped for the Qualia 010 headphones could guess, it's also ridiculously priced -- $13K.

The place I'm working this summer sells those. It's absolutely ridiculous. Best picture I have ever seen on anything BY FAR. Of course, almost everything in their store is absolutely ridiculous. Just as an example, they have 5 (FIVE!!!) pairs of Wilson loudspeakers on the floor. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to getting to listen to the stuff in their store when I'm not busy.

Jun 10, 2005 at 7:58 AM Post #30 of 36
Part of the reason I bought into DLP is the immunity from burn-in. Zero chance of that. No burn-in. Won't happen. I need that assurance because I use it as a giant PC display and leave it on for hours at a time.

Even if you don't play video games, burn-in can be an issue when watching programs in 4:3 format. Since the edges of the screen are blacked out for long periods of time, it is possible to "burn" the screen that way. Not likely, but possible.

Lip-sync issues may occur with any HDTV technology whenever you split the signal. The solution is to send both audio and video to the same place... either the TV or the receiver. HDMI is helpful in this regard since both signals travel down the same wire. Digitally, no less. Output quality is an improvement over component cables. I've seen both, and the all-digital HDMI connection is the winner.

I use the Panasonic S77 DVD player as my source which has a HDMI connection and Faroudja DCDi decompressor (like the expensive Denon players). At only 200 bucks, the S77 is a giant-killer of a player. It features an audio delay option to fix lip-sync issues. In the event you *insist* upon splitting the signal (which I do), the delay fixes it at the max 100ms setting. This will be my permanent player until Blu-Ray takes off.

I'm curious about bulb life and color wheel noises and will see how things develop over time. I have a 5-year in-home warranty which should give me some peace of mind. Bulb prices should plummet over the next couple of years now that HDTV is really taking off. I don't mind replacing bulbs (I'm a tube guy, remember?
biggrin.gif
). The upside is that the display will always look as good as it did from day one.

The "rainbow effect" is much improved over earlier DLP models. It is visible but only if you look rapidly from side to side and TRY HARD to notice it. Why anyone would do this instead of enjoying the incredible picture is a mystery to me.

BIG WOW on the Qualia 006/Wilson setup. That setup is well into the six figures for the speakers and display alone. I bet they have a killer source driving the system. You MUST spend some time with that... although it may ruin you permanently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back