Too old to start surfing?
Jun 6, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #16 of 25
I grew up in California and I can swim like a fish.
And from looking at your pictures, there is no way I would go into the water.

If you wipeout in one of those waves, it will send you tumbling underwater and you will inhale saltwater up your nose and get beaten up by the waves.

First I would recommend, only go in if the waves are small 3 to 4 feet tops.
Only go in with something that floats. Surfboard or boogie board.
If you use a boogie board, get a nice pair of fins. I recommend Churchills.

If your new to all this, try boogie boarding. It is much easier.
Consider getting a spring suit too, you will be more buoyant.

Jun 6, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by canloader
Never too old - Just make sure you are in good physical shape and an excellent swimmer before trying anything over head -

I've never surfed, bit it would seem apparent that these are key prerequisites.

Jun 6, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd

I've never surfed before...

2978.jpg

And you wont after.....
eek.gif

If the waves dont kill you the barrier reefs are not far away.

Amicalement,

PS

Enjoy your last summer to the fullest....
icon10.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #20 of 25
I went to Oahu's famous north shore a couple years ago. In the summer the waves were managable for a beginner like me, but I've heard that in the winter the waves get huge.

The instructor told me as long as you could swim, you can surf. Just be careful.

Jun 6, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #21 of 25
surfing is a religion, and as with all religions, youre never to old to "get saved." if the ocean is calling you, you must answer the call. i started a few years ago because i had that call for the whole of my life, why i dont know. but ive never looked back. i get to it whenever i can, it helps my father owns a condo in daytona beach and good surfing is not more than an hour or so away. actually where his condo is, its not a bad place for a beginner to learn, i did, small and relatively slow, and not sharp break.

always remember, chicks dig surfers.........

hell, if you spend your time around this place youd never meet any women, just solidify your geekdom for the rest of your life, now go pick out a stick and get to it mikey!

Jun 6, 2006 at 9:01 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
This is about what 30ft looks like (give or take a few)

mavs8lf.png

Erm...... I think I'll pass on that one
eek.gif
That doesn't look too safe for a beginner and I think a crash helmet, some flippers, an oxygen pack and some sort of flotation device would be required if I were to go anywhere near a wave of that magnitude
tongue.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 9:03 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrfytrhoges

always remember, chicks dig surfers.........

Yeh, they'll be digging me out of the sand feet first knowing my luck
tongue.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 9:17 AM Post #24 of 25
Sure, you can pick it up at any age. I surfed a bit in my youth (one of the benefits of growing up in Manhattan Beach) but haven't much lately.

If you want to get ready, work your arms. Believe it or not, the most difficult part is paddling to catch the wave. Standing up on the board isn't all that bad.

To get used to it, pick up a cheap boogie board or maybe one of these:

http://www.waveblades.com/index1.html

It's sort of like the old Handgun (which I was a big fan of) and helps you learn to bodysurf. Bodysurfing is great fun as well, and an excellent way to learn how to catch a wave.

And mind those rocks/reef I see in that one picture. It's not pleasant being thrown into the sand, but those are something else altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back