Too much silver?
Feb 14, 2004 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tbdoah

500+ Head-Fier
I'm planning on using the consiguration as seen in my sig; SCD-C222ES -> HGA Silver Lace ICs -> ASL MG Head OTL32. I'm planning on getting HD650's with the Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable.

I love the silver sound of the HGA, but would the all silver silver dragon be an overkill of silver?

Or should I invest in new interconnects (I spy a cryoed 2m Virtual Dynamics Reference on audiogon), or should I just not use the silver dragon and instead opt with the equinox or mobius?

Feb 14, 2004 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by tbdoah
I'm planning on using the consiguration as seen in my sig; SCD-C222ES -> HGA Silver Lace ICs -> ASL MG Head OTL32. I'm planning on getting HD650's with the Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable.

I love the silver sound of the HGA, but would the all silver silver dragon be an overkill of silver?

I don't think I would go down the path of thinking that the material for each link somehow needs to be of mixed materials. I use silver throughout most of my systems, but that's becaise I tried both silver and copper in both positions and preferred the interconnects that happened to be made of silver the best. It just doesn't strike me as a good idea to prejudge based on materials, since there can be huge variations within any particular material.

Feb 14, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #3 of 8
I use only silver for cabling. Even the PC's are made with silver. The best cables I've heard in any of my systems have always been either solid silver, silver plated, or the LAT cables which is silver fused into copper. There are warm and smooth silver made cables that still keep the detail and speed silver is known for.

Feb 14, 2004 at 6:45 AM Post #5 of 8
I'm going to have an all-silver signal path soon enough. The Elco digital cable is one that Hirsch profusely recommended (the only digital cable he's used where he can actually hear a difference) and the Pure Silver Sound ones have gotten impeccable reviews. I had those HGA Silver Lace cables back in the day, and missed them enough to buy silver again.

Feb 14, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #6 of 8
I have one system for which the vinyl input is wired pure silver (Bogdan Audio Silver Spirit Reference). The digital input to the amp is wired with silver/copper (LAT). My reference system uses solid core copper (Virtual Dynamics Master Series). The only silver is the plating on the connectors.

IMO cable construction, and integration with a particular system is more important than materials used. Material is only one of several choices a designer makes in constructing a cable. A well-designed cable is likely going to sound better than a poorly designed one, regardless of material.

Feb 14, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by strohmie
The Elco digital cable is one that Hirsch profusely recommended (the only digital cable he's used where he can actually hear a difference)

I was pretty much a digital cable skeptic until I heard the Elco DC-32. Before that, I just wasn't hearing any differences when I tried different digital cables. With the Elco the differences were so robust that I finally had to admit that digital cabling made a difference. The Elco was a fairly inexpensive cable at the time (around $50, IIRC), and simply outperformed everything else I'd heard. Contruction is silver in an air dielectric.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back