Too much Isolation?
Nov 3, 2011 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Vargulf

Head-Fier
Hey all,

I was wondering, I just got my motorbike license and first bike. I am going to listen to music while I ride on the freeway. (This comment always attracts whingers but the reality is alot of riders do it. If you don't ride like a hoon I dont see the problem!)
My question, Does anyone use the Shure SE535's while they ride? I was wondering if they possibly reduced the dB too far? They mention a top reduction of 36dB while most others only stop at 26dB (westones, etymotic). On a bike you need the headphones to allow some small noise through when the music is off so you can hear traffic and gear changes etc. in the city. Does anyone use a pair with a bike?
Also do they clash with helmets at all? (I'm getting them specifically for the bike and at the Shures cost I want to do my homework :-S
Unfortunately I cant find anywhere in the two states I am closest to where I can try a pair to answer the questions myself.

Cheers for any advice.

Nov 4, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #2 of 6
Being a whinger myself, I would advise any non hoon that riding with earphones will increase your risk. crap happens.

Quote:
Hey all,

I was wondering, I just got my motorbike license and first bike. I am going to listen to music while I ride on the freeway. (This comment always attracts whingers but the reality is alot of riders do it. If you don't ride like a hoon I dont see the problem!)
My question, Does anyone use the Shure SE535's while they ride? I was wondering if they possibly reduced the dB too far? They mention a top reduction of 36dB while most others only stop at 26dB (westones, etymotic). On a bike you need the headphones to allow some small noise through when the music is off so you can hear traffic and gear changes etc. in the city. Does anyone use a pair with a bike?
Also do they clash with helmets at all? (I'm getting them specifically for the bike and at the Shures cost I want to do my homework :-S
Unfortunately I cant find anywhere in the two states I am closest to where I can try a pair to answer the questions myself.

Cheers for any advice.

Nov 4, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 6
Yeah it will to an extent. But I love music so much I can't be without it. I'll check mirrors more often then usual and ensure I've got and adequate amount of space around me. Only for freeway situation anyway it'll be off anytime I'm in the city.

Nov 4, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 6
What about in one ear?

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #5 of 6
A solution... but defeats the purpose of buying 535's. I might as well buy a cheaper IEM that doesn't cut out quite so much dB. Then it could be worn in both ears. If I can't find anyone who's doing it it's possible they are too good for the task.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back