Too much computer usage can lead to Glaucoma
Nov 17, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 18
Welp, I'm boned.

Been using a computer for over ten years and will certainly be doing so for at least a few hours every day for the rest of my life. Heck, my eyes kinda hurt from staring at the screen too much right now.
eek.gif

Nov 17, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 18
Same here. I've been using the computer for hours almost everyday for 15 years now & will most likely continue doing so for the rest of my life. Isnt there some protective glasses with some sort of special coating for this?

Nov 18, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
Clearly we must smoke marijuana while using our computers to counteract the glaucoma causing effect of the monitors.
biggrin.gif

good one.

Nov 18, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #9 of 18
i generally turn down the brightness. my brightness levels are always lower than other peoples. also i always try to have some other lights while watching tv or using computer, and not in the dark.

btw, cellphone causes cancer.

Nov 18, 2004 at 2:31 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
i generally turn down the brightness. my brightness levels are always lower than other peoples. also i always try to have some other lights while watching tv or using computer, and not in the dark.

btw, cellphone causes cancer.

PSSSSSSHHHT...

When watching TV you should at least have a light behind it to provide illumination (HTM hint). Anyway, I have a light sort-of-behind of my monitor, and one behind me...I think I'm okay, my eyes hurt like hell sometimes, but my monitor is only on 40% brightness (blacks look the best like this).

Nov 18, 2004 at 2:41 AM Post #11 of 18
I had 20-20 before the INTERNET. Now I'm blind as a bat without reading glasses. I second the medicinal ganja cure! Problem is, I'll be able to read but I won't understand what I'm seeing.

Nov 18, 2004 at 3:37 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
I second the medicinal ganja cure! Problem is, I'll be able to read but I won't understand what I'm seeing.

It would also make reviews and impressions of music & gear how shall I say this...interesting...

Not to mention the fun side-effects such as the munchies and the giggles.

Nov 18, 2004 at 7:15 AM Post #13 of 18
Ill bet $10 that this is caused by CRT's running at a low refresh.

Having somthing flicker in front of you is ovbiously not good for your eyes. Id like to know if LCD's effect this because they have absoutley no flicker to them.

Nov 18, 2004 at 9:12 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReasonablyLucid
Ill bet $10 that this is caused by CRT's running at a low refresh.

Having somthing flicker in front of you is ovbiously not good for your eyes. Id like to know if LCD's effect this because they have absoutley no flicker to them.

Yep, LCD all the way. I know we have some CRT junkies on this site, but my 20" Dell LCD is much much easier on my eyes for long periods of time than my old 19" Sony Trinitron G400.

And yeah, cellphones are linked to brain tumors. A lot of people are gonna be screwed on that one.

/waits for aerius to point out that one advantage of having cancer is getting medically-prescribed marijuana
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2004 at 9:12 AM Post #15 of 18
Bad eyesight runs in my family so I was already doomed before I started using computers. Last time I took a vision test my vision was actually 20/20 in my left eye and 20/30 in my right. But iirc a vision test I had a couple years before that put me at like 20/40 for my right eye so one of them is a bit off since there is no way my vision could have actually improved over time. I have trouble at times making out the signs on the buses to see which route they are, probably a good thing I don't drive since I don't have glasses and absolutely will not get them.

I haven't noticed computers degrading my vision. I actually have better closeup eyesight than most people I know and I usually sit within 2 feet of my monitor. My monitor is only turned up to like 25% brightness and the only other light in my room is a small 60W table lamp sitting in the corner of my room to the left of me. According to what I've read and heard I should be half-blind by now due to my computer use
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back