Too much amp for AKG K1000??
Mar 18, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #31 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
I've found another one, albeit unlikely. The Wheatfield HA-2 is a damn nice K-1000 amp.

Is there a particular tube combination for this? Is it a combination I have?

Mar 18, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #32 of 58
Been playing around with some power amps on the K1000s.
....Odyssey Stratos not bad...but
....Wollcot 220 mono blocks power up the wazoo!. These amps are really perfect for Planar and EStats, and have an adjustable impediance control and can even be set to NEGATIVE impediance output. Power like you never dreamed
...Jadis Defy 7 mark 3, I could not imagine the K1000s driven better. Rich, powerful fully extended and MUSICAL.
Just had that synergy. Took all of two seconds. Yeah, a little overkill for headphones but WOOO AHHH.

Mar 18, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #33 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by tmarshl
I sold my Stax Omega IIs with KGSS after I paired the K1000s with Nelson Pass' FirstWatt F1 current source amplifier.

The performance of this combination is unequaled IMHO.
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif

Yeah, this does sound like the ultimate SS combo. If I had the cash I would buy the F1 as well...

Mar 18, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #34 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
Fascinating! Thank you for posting.

If anyone remember's Ohms law; at, I think 220ohms, how much power (watts) will a 100wpc (at 8Ohm) be delivering into the K100s?

Basically 8/220 times less power or about 30 times less.

This is an oversimplifcation because impedence is a dynamic thing and not a constant 8 ohms or 220 ohms it depends on the signal and the impedence curve of the speakers and the headphones. Suffice it to say that you will be getting a lot less power into 220 ohms nominal than into 8 ohms nominal at the same volume setting.

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #35 of 58
Tomorrow at the chicago meet I am going to pair up the k1000 with My AES/CARY Sixpac monoblocks..

the preamp will be the RSA stealth (I believe the stealth shines as a pre) and the Meridian g08 will be the source.

I never heard this config before but since the cinnci meet where I heard tkams primaluna amp with k1000's my interest is sparked!....and big time at that.

I cant wait to hear it tomorrow, but its a pain in the butt to box up all 16 tubes and then rebias it all at the meet..yuck but still I cant wait.

I hope it sounds as good as I hope,..haha
k1000smile.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 10:12 AM Post #36 of 58
Well, so it would appear. I just connected my K1000s to my Muse Model 100, which is a stout 100 wpc (8 ohms) MOSFET amp, usually provisioned to power PSB Status Golds for serious rocking out. The PSBs might not get much love for a while now that the K1000s are hooked up to the amp. I've got a custom preamp, unity gain (but active), a very simple hand wired preamp someone built years ago, and with the volume up around 10 o'clock it is huge.

The sound is a bit bright, but very rich and vivid, not harsh at all. The K1000s could perhaps use some more bass extension, maybe a tube preamp would sweeten it up, but they are just clear as a bell and sound fantastic with this setup, and no problem rocking out with pretty much everything I've thrown at them.

I can't believe a pair of headphones enjoys being driven from a 100 watt amp, even though it isn't really 100 watts since they are high impedance compared to 8 watt speakers. On that topic, the K1000s aren't 220 ohms, they are 120 ohms (so 100 watts into 8 ohms will be ~8 watts - although as pointed out the headphones likely aren't a constant 120 ohms through all freqs, and the amp's output probably doesn't scale linearly by ohms).

Yikes, though. I think I have to find another pair of these as spares just in case! With the big power these are even sweeter than my original impressions and I was loving them through my Headroom Micro Amp (at lower volume and with perhaps a bit of a skewed frequency response and some slight, yet euphonic, "fuzz"). On that note, I had mentioned the Micro Amp in another thread, and will later update that (or start a new thread) after doing a head-on comparison between the Micro and the Muse. For now, though, I'm not going to unplug these from the Muse or stop listening to them until I pass out tonight.

Mar 18, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #38 of 58
Guys, you do not think that each cans need their amp? K1000 as all the others? I cannot believe that the K1000 (now) is the best of the best, or others times, the first place is for the R10, or the HE90, or, or... I think that ALL the cans we have or had, with the best amp matched can give an amazing sound, all in first class, depending by our tastes.

Best!
Nicola

PS:
With my Leben CS-600 I have preferred the 701 to their big brother... (just one recent example...).

Mar 18, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #39 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
Is this one of the amps they say has good synergy with K1000s?

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ube&1146164838

confused.gif

I have a Fisher 400, and tried it with my K1000s. I was not impressed. Mapleshade offers a supermodified Scott Amplifier which is MUCH better.

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/aud...s/tubeamps.php

But nothing I have tried compares to the FirstWatt F1 current source amplifier from Nelson Pass.

http://firstwatt.com/products/f1.htm

Here is a review of the combination from 6moons:

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/first...irstwatt3.html

k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #41 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
Guys, you do not think that each cans need their amp? K1000 as all the others? I cannot believe that the K1000 (now) is the best of the best, or others times, the first place is for the R10, or the HE90, or, or... I think that ALL the cans we have or had, with the best amp matched can give an amazing sound, all in first class, depending by our tastes.

Best!
Nicola

PS:
With my Leben CS-600 I have preferred the 701 to their big brother... (just one recent example...).

Nicola,

I would absolutely agree.

Whenever I read reviews of one set of headphones against another, I don't pay much attention unless the amplifier (and preferably the source) is also identified. The matching of headphone to amplifier is important. In the case of the K1000s, it is essential.

Case in point: my AKG K1000s sat unused in a closet for five years, until I happened to read a review on 6moons of the FirstWatt F1 + K1000s. So I bought a FirstWatt F1 and I did the hardwired Equinox cable upgrade from Stefan AudioArt which helped a lot. Wow! It changed my whole attitude concerning these "earspeakers" and now they are definitely my reference.
k1000smile.gif

I even sold my Stax Omega IIs + KGSS combination because the K1000s + FirstWatt F1 blew them away.
blink.gif

I think that one of the reasons that the Sennheiser Orpheus has been given such superlative reviews is that it came with its own perfectly matched amplifier, and did not depend on buyers to go searching for the "right" amplifier for these phones.

Mar 18, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #42 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by tmarshl
I have a Fisher 400, and tried it with my K1000s. I was not impressed. Mapleshade offers a supermodified Scott Amplifier which is MUCH better.

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/aud...s/tubeamps.php

But nothing I have tried compares to the FirstWatt F1 current source amplifier from Nelson Pass.

http://firstwatt.com/products/f1.htm

Here is a review of the combination from 6moons:

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/first...irstwatt3.html

k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif

Thanks for letting me know about the Fisher - I was hoping to use my ASL AQ1001DT w/NOS tubes, but I don't think it's the best combo even though it sounds good.It seems unanimous about the First Watt, so maybe I'll have to stretch my budget.

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #43 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
Thanks for letting me know about the Fisher - I was hoping to use my ASL AQ1001DT w/NOS tubes, but I don't think it's the best combo even though it sounds good.It seems unanimous about the First Watt, so maybe I'll have to stretch my budget.

I don't think that you can find a new FirstWatt F1, as Nelson Pass only made 100 of them, but here is a link where you can find a refurbished unit.

http://www.marksammut.com/List.html

I would also highly recommed recabling the K1000s, perhaps with the Stefan AudioArt Exinox hardwire cabling:

http://www.stefanaudioart.com/K1000CableHardwired.html

There is a 10-11 week wait for this cabling, due to high demand.....but it's worth the wait - IMO nothing comes close
k1000smile.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #44 of 58
Yeah, that is a great combo, but it doesn't stop there, you also have to consider preamplification and your source and not to mention cables
evil_smiley.gif

I have the F1/K1000 combo and it only gets better with every upgrade, for example power conditioning, I recently tried a Staco online UPS in my system and boy did the sound really come together! I was listening to Morcheeba's Big Calm and I heard more than just sounds I never heard before and increased resolution, but the flow of the music, it was like looking at a whole picture and seeing every detail cleary rather than zooming in on just pieces of it. Man it was weird, but fun. However, the Staco unit has a very audiible cooling fan which really became annoying especially on the quiet parts of the music, so I sent it back and now I'm forced to look for a more hi-end (expensive) alternative.

Mar 19, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #45 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by JzzMaTzz
Yeah, that is a great combo, but it doesn't stop there, you also have to consider preamplification and your source and not to mention cables
evil_smiley.gif

I have the F1/K1000 combo and it only gets better with every upgrade, for example power conditioning, I recently tried a Staco online UPS in my system and boy did the sound really come together! I was listening to Morcheeba's Big Calm and I heard more than just sounds I never heard before and increased resolution, but the flow of the music, it was like looking at a whole picture and seeing every detail cleary rather than zooming in on just pieces of it. Man it was weird, but fun. However, the Staco unit has a very audiible cooling fan which really became annoying especially on the quiet parts of the music, so I sent it back and now I'm forced to look for a more hi-end (expensive) alternative.

I agree with you. I've spent ridiculous amounts of money on interconnects and power cables. (not to mention the Stefan AudioArt hardwire upgrade for the K1000s). I added a PS Audio P500 Power Regenenator and the WOW factor got even more pronounced. The detail and soundstage are so precise now that I get the "hair on the back of my neck standing up because it sounds like a real performance" response quite often. I was listening to John Coltrane on the Ken Burns Jazz series, playing In a Sentimental Mood, and with my eyes closed, I could swear he was a few feet away from me. I don't know how it could get much better than this!
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back