too many songs..not enough battery life
Oct 13, 2003 at 4:41 PM Post #61 of 77
Yes ignorance IS bliss!
Just ignore all the "cough cough, etc." posts
biggrin.gif

dbpoweramp does transcode to wma9 and thus has vbr. The settings are strange, not the same as in WMP. So you're gonna have to try that out to see what's the same and what sounds decent to YOUR ears.

You do lose even more of the song because of the transcoding, sounds worse than a wma ripped straight from original CD. But if you can live with it, fine!

Oct 13, 2003 at 4:44 PM Post #62 of 77
Quote:

Originally posted by Dweebgal

so how would i go about transcoding from mp3 to wma vbr, what would be the best way to go about it, i was going to use dbpoweramp, but as i'm at work now i cant remember if that has a vbr setting or not.
biggrin.gif

mp3 can be recorded as variable bit rate(vbr) too.
You are much better off using mp3 than wma which is restricted to microsoft or apps supporting ms.

edit: you can use LAME to recode.. preferably from original source.

Oct 13, 2003 at 4:45 PM Post #63 of 77
I'll be the first to predict that within 6 months you won't be happy with the 128mb flash player.

An MD is roughly 140mb and you can always carry a spare disc in your pocket, backpack, or in your case purse. With the flash player you need to hook it up to a computer before you can change your tunes. Seems like carrying around a MD or two would be a whole lot more convenient.

You weren't happy with the shortcoming of MD so you went HDD, and HDD had shortcomings so you're going to try flash, in a while you'll be unhappy with the shortcomings of flash.

Kind of funny but I went through something similar. I wasn't happy with the shortcomings of PCDP, so I switched to flash. I didn't like flash so I switched to MD. Realizing problems with MD, I went out and bought an iPod, but I kept my MD.

I realized that none of the portable formats does everything I want, so I decided to meet my needs by keeping the last two formats I used which are MD and HDD. Of course I plan to pick up a PCDP and flash player again at some point, so I'll have something from each format
redface.gif

Oct 13, 2003 at 4:54 PM Post #64 of 77
i don't get chance to listen to more than a few hours of stuff a day.

i drive a scooter, so i cant listen on that, and basically, i want something nice and small for breaks inbetween classes at uni, and for the odd occasion when i get the bus.

i'm going to keep my ipod i think, but we shall see which one i end up using more.

i'm a very strange person you know.
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2003 at 5:00 PM Post #65 of 77
Quote:

i'm a very strange person you know.
biggrin.gif

Isn't that a prerequisite to be a member here
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2003 at 5:05 PM Post #66 of 77
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
mp3 can be recorded as variable bit rate(vbr) too.
You are much better off using mp3 than wma which is restricted to microsoft or apps supporting ms.

edit: you can use LAME to recode.. preferably from original source.

yes, i know about LAME, that's what i use with my archived mp3s, but, wma (to me anyway) seems to create smaller filesizes at approx same sound quality, at lower bitrates.
and with sapce being a premium on a 128mb player, you can see where i'm coming from.

restrictions dont bother me, becuase like i say, i'm transcoding stuff i already have archived, so the wma will get binned eventually.

plus, i have WMP, and dbpoweramp supports wma too.

WMP for burning from cds

dbpoweramp for transcoding

muvo is driverless, so just drag and drop, simple.

Oct 13, 2003 at 5:14 PM Post #67 of 77
if file size is one of your reasons, why not get a iriver? OGG sounds much better (to me) then LAME mp3 at higher kbps, and files are smaller too
i cant wait for OGG support for iHP

Oct 13, 2003 at 5:30 PM Post #68 of 77
that was the original thought, but the muvonx is £100, and the cheapest i've seen for the ifp-380 is £160.

if i can find the iriver cheaper here, i'll get it.

my worry with buying from overseas is that the radio wont work

Oct 13, 2003 at 7:58 PM Post #70 of 77
Quote:

that was the original thought, but the muvonx is £100, and the cheapest i've seen for the ifp-380 is £160.

im not sure about iRiver iFP models...but my iHP-100 has 4 different tuner setting to work around the world

Oct 13, 2003 at 8:11 PM Post #71 of 77
meh, i can live without radio i think.

it would have been a nice extra.
but i really dont listen to it anyway.

i dont even have a radio in my room ***!!

Oct 13, 2003 at 9:25 PM Post #72 of 77
Quote:

I bought my ifp-190t in HK and the radio works perfectly in Canada. The only complaint that I have is that it only has FM radio, no AM. Other than that, I'm really happy with it.

Oct 13, 2003 at 10:51 PM Post #73 of 77
Lisa: thanks for the heads-up about the wma vbr, that is most acceptable
biggrin.gif

and i think i'm going to order the muvo nx on friday when i get paid (that is if i get paid enough) the only worry i have is apparently the output is not that strong, does anyone here have or have they heard the original muvo and could comment on this?
i've probably been spoilt by ipod levels to be fair.
biggrin.gif

i'm going to pay the extra as well for quicker shipping.
biggrin.gif

[EDIT] ...or not.....

i've just been going through the books i need to get for my law degree, and how much they are going to cost me.

£300!!! (that's like, $450 or something i think)

i hate being a student.

*puts on headphones and sulks*

Oct 14, 2003 at 4:01 AM Post #74 of 77
im still likin md. i just leave and drop a few albums or mixes in by bag and have enough music and battery life for quite a while. anyway, im getting a sharp SD-SG11 soon, so 2x md dubs sure sound tasty to me
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
. come back dweeb, u know that its ur true calling :p. anyway, if ur getting any flash player, id get the new irivers that are coming out, in no less than 256 megs...

~EO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back