Too many headphones!
May 27, 2013 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kurd

Head-Fier
There are so many headphones in the price range of 150~200 euros that I can't choose.. I'm afraid if I buy a pair, I can get a better pair for the price. 
I'm just too afraid to buy some headphones because 200 euros for headphones is a lot (to me). 
I was thinking about getting the custom one pro's, but I would really like headphones with good mids and a good bass, not so much that it will ruin the mids. I don't think the custom one pro's fit that category. I was also thinking about getting the fiio e6 (cheap and small) to use with my cowon J3. 
The only thing is though, I have no idea which headphones I should buy. 
You can give me suggestions, but I would rather get advice on how to actually pick a headphone, as I'm having  a lot of trouble in doing so. 
I would also like to mention, it's so hard for me to pick a pair of headphones, because I can't listen to them before buying them. I can only order them online.. 
So any tips out there so I can finally get headphones, because I really need a pair desperately! 

May 27, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 12
1. First decide if they need to be portable.
2. Over ear or on-ear?
3. What is your point of reference right now? What headphones do you have right now and which have you heard? What did you like and dislike about their sound?
4. Soundstage. Do you like an initimate and close presentation which usually means a narrow soundstage or a more laid-back presentation but wider presentation?
5. Do you care about looks? 

May 27, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
1. First decide if they need to be portable.
2. Over ear or on-ear?
3. What is your point of reference right now? What headphones do you have right now and which have you heard? What did you like and dislike about their sound?
4. Soundstage. Do you like an initimate and close presentation which usually means a narrow soundstage or a more laid-back presentation but wider presentation?
5. Do you care about looks? 

They need to be somewhat portable as I'm going to use them with my mp3 outdoors. But I will also use them indoors. 
Over ear for sure, I don't like on ear headphones. 
I've got the ZX-700 and the XB-700. I liked the ZX-700 a lot, but I think it's time for an upgrade. 
And I like my headphones to have a nice soundstage. 
I don't really care about the looks, as long as they are portable enough to wear outdoors. 

And I have looked into the K550, I've read mixed reviews, I'm not really sure what to think of it. 

May 28, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
I like them more than some of the brand name 150-200 USD headphones I've heard.

I'm gonna try to find them in a local store.. I can't really imagine them being better than 200 euro headphones though. 
They are an amazing little headphone, but are only available in Japan. Order them from eBay, you won't find them in a store. JVC HA-S500 is the model number.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

May 28, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #10 of 12
I have the custom one pro and it does not "ruin" the mid. The mids are slightly recessed compared to an ATH-M50 but they are by no means lacking and most definitely not "ruined." The bass is deep, smooth, and satisfying.

May 28, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
They need to be somewhat portable as I'm going to use them with my mp3 outdoors. But I will also use them indoors. 
Over ear for sure, I don't like on ear headphones. 
I've got the ZX-700 and the XB-700. I liked the ZX-700 a lot, but I think it's time for an upgrade. 
And I like my headphones to have a nice soundstage. 
I don't really care about the looks, as long as they are portable enough to wear outdoors. 

And I have looked into the K550, I've read mixed reviews, I'm not really sure what to think of it. 

I ordered the ATH-A900Xs today over the AKG K550, but just by opinions on this forum, never heard them.
For portable use the AKG may be better, but their sound is describes as rather thin, with little body to instruments and a bit aggressive in the upper mids and low treble.
You may audition them anyways, just to be certain? Maybe you like them a lot.

A safe pair would be the Audio Technica M50s, many people like them and very few REALLY dislike them, but rather find other phones more capable.
They are portable, look cool and appear to have a very likeable sound, I never heard them.
I recently bought the Roland RH-300s which are similar to the M50s according to some on this forum, they are really great if you like an upfront presentation and are willing to Eq them a bit, because they have little treble.
You can find my review over here:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/roland-rh-300-stereo-headphones/reviews/9057

May 28, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #12 of 12
The Custom One Pro are actually great headphones. They won't be for everyone--none are, but they are very good headphones that have a sort of built in EQ with the bass sliders. There are a ton of measurements on them around the web. I'd check them out and see how they compare you've the ones you've heard. They have an added benefit of being able to put out a lot of volume w/o an amp. There are of course others, but I wouldn't be quick to discount them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back