Too many choices!
Jul 18, 2006 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Amplitude

New Head-Fier
Ive been listening to my first pairs of high-end(ish) headphones trying to get a sense of what I really want for some time now, and I think it's time to make my move. The problem is, though, that there are simply too many choices, and too many vastly different explanations of headphones on these forums and elseware. Hopefully you guys can help me narrow things down.

I listen to various types of contemporary music; from electronica to rock to hip-hop, so I need some headphones that can handle a lot of different types of music, but don't necessarily have to be too refined. My two "test" pairs of headphones I own now are the HD485s and K271s. I love how the 485s are really involving and fun, but the bass gets way out of control and just plain ugly on some tracks, and they are kind of fatiguing to me for some reason. On the K271 side I love how smooth and big they feel some some tracks, but they just aren't very fun, and vocals sound way distorted to me on some tracks. I didn't really feel they were "bassless" like some people say, and sort of enjoyed how controlled it was (although a little more oomph would have been nice).

In short, I think I want a fun sounding headphone with bass that dosn't go all over the place and a large soundstage. My only amp is the headroom bithead, and I don't really want to go for another just yet.

Oh, and the budget is $500 max.

Jul 18, 2006 at 6:27 AM Post #2 of 11
The besty and most cost-effective way to get an idea of what you want is to go to a meet and audition some headphones. Then you'll get a much better idea of what you are looking for.

Jul 18, 2006 at 6:35 AM Post #3 of 11
Wow, lighting fast response there, thanks. Honestly, though, where I live (central oregon) its really hard to find a place to audition headphones, and I just don't see myself going on an excursion to do so (Im bad like that). Ive tried to be "good" by getting these two pairs first to see what I want. Any chance I can get a couple of ideas on which direction to go?

Jul 18, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #4 of 11
With a $500 budget, see if you can grab a pair of used Grado RS-1s. They're in that neighborhood and should be a good fit for what you're looking for. Also worth looking at are the RS-2 and the Alessandro MS-2i. Those are good, as well, and cost a bit less. Grados are efficient and the Bithead should drive them easily. And if you want to upgrade to a different amp, they will respond accordingly. Tubes are a good choice with Grados.

P.S. Where do you live in Central Oregon? I lived there for a couple of years and the last time I was in Bend (around 2002) there was a high-end audio dealer downtown near Deschutes Brewery. I don't know if they're still there or if they stock headphones, but it's worth a try. Unless you have to drive there from Fossil or Burns or something.

Jul 18, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #5 of 11
@Amplitude:

What I meant was that you should go check out the Meets section of this forum and see if there are any meets in your area. If you are not familiar with meets, it's basically a meeting organized by members here at the forum. At the meet, each member bring their own equipment, and people can socialize and listen to stuff without buying. It's a really great aspect of Head-Fi, and I cannot recommend it enough. It puts a human face on the forum, and it's a great way to test out headphones/amps/sources that you would not otherwise have access to.

Jul 18, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #6 of 11
I do live in bend!
biggrin.gif
I think you are talking about the stereo planet downtown? I've been in there before and don't remember seeing much in the way of headphones, but its been a while, Ill have to try there again. I was considering the RS2s as well, but I had heared they don't do well with electronic music, is this true?

Thanks, humanflyz, I had always though of meets as a sort of tour thing that would only be in big cities, heh. Ill definately check out the forum there.

Jul 18, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #7 of 11
Sorry I don't have any advice for you. But I know what you mean with so many choices and the difficulty of making a final decision. I'm just begining to get into heahpones and I'm on quite a limited budget, but I'm still fairly overwhelmed with all the choices. It's really not such a bad thing though, having 'too many' choices I mean.

Jul 18, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #8 of 11
I think the new Beyerdynamic DT-880 model might be for you. It is supposed to be very good for electronica having very good bass extension, good soundstage and details. It would also be lot less than 500$ so you could perhaps get another amp or source.

Jul 18, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
With a $500 budget, see if you can grab a pair of used Grado RS-1s.

good timing, there is a pair for 550 in the sale forums right now from a reputable member. go for it!

Jul 18, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
With a $500 budget, see if you can grab a pair of used Grado RS-1s. They're in that neighborhood and should be a good fit for what you're looking for. Also worth looking at are the RS-2 and the Alessandro MS-2i. .

I echo this persons comments!!

Jul 18, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
good timing, there is a pair for 550 in the sale forums right now from a reputable member. go for it!

I second this echo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back