Too Many Choices: Help Me Find An Amp (Or Two)
May 9, 2008 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

kjpmkjp

500+ Head-Fier
I'm still new here, and I'm completely uneducated in the language of amps. I have little idea on how they work, what specific numbers/parameters actually mean in terms of powering headphones, and so on. Right now, I have a PA2v2 by Electric Avenues. It was a fairly cheap option to allow me to run a few of my headphones with my iPod outside of the home at a half-decent volume. However, I noticed very little increase in SQ with most of my cans. However, for what it's worth, I have nothing negative to say about the PA2v2. It does what I bought it for, and it does it well.

I'd like to buy another portable amplifier (in the near future, not at this moment), preferably one that will actually increase SQ, and maybe even have the guts to power the K340s (but that's a high hope, and it's obviously not needed). My budget is sub $150 USD (preferably in the $100-$125 range, since shipping and border fees tend to smack me in the face right hard. The main thing I care about, besides the increase in SQ, is size. I need it to be small, small, small. Well built and rugged would be nice too.

I'm also looking for a home amp. Right now, everything I own is run off of a NAD Stereo Receiver (Model: 7120, if you care). Now, it gets the job done, and even powers those K340s half decently. But, I don't know what I could be missing if I had a separate Amp. Now, I'm ruling out Tube Amp's, since I've heard they can be costly, and a pain to maintain/upkeep. As for a budget in this case, under $350 would be preferred, but I can be swayed if it is worth it. I'm not as worried about size here, but I don't want something the size of a Pre-Amp in HT rigs.

For music, I listen to everything. Well, almost. I have little to no country in my library. The few albums I do have can be better classified as bluegrass, or very old country (from the '30s). I have headphones that work for the variety of music I listen to, so that's not the problem. I just need a nice, well rounded amplifier(s). A nice, wide soundstage is a major plus.

As for the headphones that'll be working with the new amp(s), look in my sig. The most prominent will be the HD 595, MB Quart QP70, AKG K340 (Low Bass), and the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro, in that probable order. I haven't yet received the Ultrasone's, so I have no idea where they will fit into the program, and I haven't spent enough time with the Quart's. The AKGs are old as hell, so I have no idea if they just sound off because of my ears, the drivers are dying, or it's what I'm using to drive it/the lack of proper amplification. Though I bet it's the latter. Just assume I'll usually be using the 595s primarily, and I plan to pick up new home headphones in the next year or so.

Hopefully that's covered everything, and if it hasn't, please ask for specifics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back