Too loud ...
Jun 6, 2010 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

stifa

New Head-Fier
So I bought a pair of M50 in order to (amongst other things) replace my CX400 II (not very happy with them) while commuting , mainly on local bus system .
The problem : In order to overcome the VERY loud environment (the bus itself and the people on it !) , I turn up the level on my W760i almost to the top , especially when it's one of my favorite rock bands playing . Then I realized that this level is insane , and probably damaging my hearing . I measured the output with an SPL meter , and it resulted at around 82dB "C" weighted on slow response , so it's borderline about the damage factor , but still I'm concerned .
Does anybody here encountered this problem ? Any solutions ?
I don't want to go back to the CX400 II ...

Jun 6, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 15
I don't need to remind most of you about the dangers of "OVERLY LOUD MUSIC" or even LOUD sounds ie(lawn mowers, tools.etc)  You'll suffer as you grow older.........Have you ever turned on your car in the morning only to be blasted off your seat from the VOLUME you had your radio/cd player set on from the night before?????scary huh!

Jun 6, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 15
I used to turn my earbuds loud in order to mask all the street noise,but when it was quiet i realized that the volume was too much.  so i just got used to keep it low and just live with all the outside noises bundled in the music.  iem's are the best solution imo becase they sound awsome and isolate excellent.  i only wish that i could wear them
smile.gif

Jun 6, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
Quote:

Seriously? Telling him to turn up the volume louder? *sigh*

Try getting an IEM with decent isolation, if you need to turn up headphones that loudly for them to be audible, than maybe that headphone doesn't isolate well enough.  Maybe check the portable forum for a popular IEM with traits similar to the M50?

i kid.  i kid.

Jun 6, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
I used to turn my earbuds loud in order to mask all the street noise,but when it was quiet i realized that the volume was too much.  so i just got used to keep it low and just live with all the outside noises bundled in the music.  iem's are the best solution imo becase they sound awsome and isolate excellent.  i only wish that i could wear them
smile.gif

So did I :S Still haven't owned a pair of IEMs since forever though..

Jun 6, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #12 of 15
I don't have that phone but for people with M50s and an ipod touch 2G or sansa clip, what would you guys consider max volume for rock and metal songs? I find that with the ipod in a quiet environment I can enjoy some types of music even at 1 but as a passenger in a van I sometimes push the volume all the way up to 8 (half way). With the music this loud many songs make my ears tired after a while so I don't normally do this but I want to know what others consider too loud.

Jun 7, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
With the music this loud many songs make my ears tired after a while so I don't normally do this but I want to know what others consider too loud.

Generally speaking ,  90dB SPL (Sound Pressure Level )and up  is considered to be the level in which hearing damage occurs  . I measured around 82dB for both sides combined , so I guess it's around 76dB per side - enough to cause discomfort , although I can find myself working with these levels - I'm a post-production audio engineer for my living ...

Quote:
iem's are the best solution imo becase they sound awsome and isolate excellent.  i only wish that i could wear them 
smile.gif

Unfortunately I think I used up my HP budget for this year with the M50's (diapers and toys budget comes first) so I don't think quality IEM's are next , and I'm NOT going back to the CX400 II !!! I guess I'll have to get used to lower level during commute .

Jun 7, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #14 of 15

Quote:

Generally speaking ,  90dB SPL (Sound Pressure Level )and up  is considered to be the level in which hearing damage occurs  . I measured around 82dB for both sides combined , so I guess it's around 76dB per side - enough to cause discomfort , although I can find myself working with these levels - I'm a post-production audio engineer for my living ...

Unfortunately I think I used up my HP budget for this year with the M50's (diapers and toys budget comes first) so I don't think quality IEM's are next , and I'm NOT going back to the CX400 II !!! I guess I'll have to get used to lower level during commute .

stifa,not so long ago i got a pair of im-590 from headroom for 49$.  maybe you can find them even cheaper.   you can search reviews on them..they are fantastic!  sound is very like the M50,well balanced mids and highs but still got a little oomph in the bass to keep the music alive.   some say that they isolation is not especially high,but from my short experience with them they should do the job. 
there are also other low priced iem's out there that sound good except the im-590,you can search for them also.  but the im590 is my personal recommendation because of thier sound signature.   after the M50 the im590 are the second best value for the money i owned so far (didn't owned the SR60 yet).

Jun 7, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #15 of 15
Get some well isolating IEMs. I am 16 and I have a constant ringing in my ears. It's very annoying at night when trying to get to sleep. Dunno if it is because of dental appliance is pushing my jaw back which affects my ears, or because I went to a concert and it was really, really loud; but you definitely don't want to turn your music up too loud. IEMs with comply will easily do the job, but your budget may not allow this. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back