Tone Demon: What Will Happen?
Nov 13, 2022 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Elegiac

Headphoneus Supremus
The following recording comes with this description:

Several years ago I played a show at Ftarri in Tokyo. I used a cassette player with a Lexicon MPX1 effects rack. After about 10 minutes, the cassette player began to emit loud bursts of noise whenever touched, and a low buzz, likely due to some electrical problems. After a few minutes of dropping sound and bursts of noise, I stopped it altogether.

The only other alternative for the rest of the show was the MPX one, and while mostly an effects unit, instead I used this as the instrument, using the preset "Test Tone" which emits a single, steady adjustable tone. Since the MPX has internal patching capabilities, I could add other effects completely internally without any input.

There was no recording made that night, but these 3 tracks are a recent revisiting of the same system, with no overdubs, in real time. It is not pretty, it is often unnerving, but so is everything sometimes.

And this warning:

Note: Distortion is present and uncut, yet it does not exceed safe 0.0db speaker levels. However, I do not recommend playing loudly.

I want to listen loudly. What will happen?

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 5
Sounds like a good recording to avoid by an artist who is remarkably sloppy.

Nov 13, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 5
Sounds like a good recording to avoid by an artist who is remarkably sloppy.
But he makes lovely ambient. I defy you to dislike this:

Will the distortion harm my headphones do you think? A google search suggests not... I'll simply have an... experience. But I thought I'd check. It's the first piece of 'music' I've listened to that came with a warning.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 5
I guess what might be dangerous is that I had to turn up the volume a bunch just to notice it wasn't nothing with a little noise, even though some of the content is loud(relative to full scale signal). Maybe what's really dangerous is the next song with the volume level adjusted to enjoy that one? ^_^

Nov 13, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks. The ominous vibration of the sound is what really made me wonder about the warning haha

I thought, "Am I gonna hurt something with this??"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back