"O Oysters," said the Carpenter,
"You've had a pleasant run!
Shall we be trotting home again?'
But answer came there none--
And this was scarcely odd, because
They'd eaten every one.

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #49 of 79
Charles Lutwidge Dodgson would not approve. *bows head*

Of course I'll do it, what choice is there?
For the new and detested, respite is no affair.
Doesn't mean I agree with the lack of intelligence,
the too-often false, needless exigence.

I chose a path that in the end, I had to take,
I chose a path that even now can't be deemed fully a mistake.
But tonight, it truly seems so, truly seems misled;
tonight I wish for a life elsewhere instead.

Yeah I guess I'll trot home.

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #50 of 79
  Bob Carver argued that a solid state amp could be tweaked to sound like any tube amp. To prove it, he took the most popular tube amp and made one of his own SS amps sound exactly the same. They did a blind test with golden ears, and no one could tell the difference. His point was that SS amps were better, but after that audiophiles came to him asking him to make the hobbled SS amp for them. He laughed all the way to the bank.

Then started making tube amps.

Then stopped again.

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #52 of 79
Lol and cheap crappy dacs don't introduce noise or distortion into your signal?

Cheap crappy DAC's aren't properly designed, that's what makes them crappy .
Cheap good DAC's don't 'introduce noise or distortion into your signal' ..

Do you mean headphones?

No, I mean microphones and speakers aka 'transducers' .
That includes headphones ..

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #53 of 79

Some people simplify what they're hearing,  music has a lot of information and being able to pay atention to all the details isn't easy, specially for someone who hasn't practiced it, plus you need a good hearing memory to be able to compare between equipment. I had a inferior DAC to what I have now, and the differences are very clear from Audio-GD NFB-1.32(650) to Master 7(2180), if this B person is as experienced as you say he must not have used a resolving AMP/speaker or heaphones for the tests, or doesn't want people to spend so much money in audio lol.

Yes, there's a conspiracy of evil EE's and audio-professionals trying to trick you into listening to Lo-Fi
because of concerns for your wallet ..
Can you hear how delusional that sounds ??

Mar 2, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #54 of 79
  Cheap crappy DAC's aren't properly designed, that's what makes them crappy .
Cheap good DAC's don't 'introduce noise or distortion into your signal' ..

I remember when everyone was complaining about the iPod because it had a "cheap, crappy DAC" that you couldn't bypass. I did a direct A/B line level matched comparison between my iPod and my $900 home player and couldn't detect any difference between them. Later, I compared a $45 Coby DVD player's output, and again no difference. The line out of every digital player I've owned in the past six or seven years... from blu-ray to iPod to iPad to iPhone, the DACs built into my AV amp, the line outs of my various Macs, cheap DVD players, and most recently a headphone amp/DAC that costs over a grand.... all sound exactly the same.

If cheap crappy DACs exist, I haven't run across any and I've tested some VERY cheap stuff against high quality stuff.

Mar 2, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #55 of 79
If cheap crappy DACs exist, I haven't run across any and I've tested some VERY cheap stuff against high quality stuff.

Well, I've seen some measurements and tests on a certain blog that suggest they do exist ..
Actually I'm being nice to the subjectivists here, because those bad DAC's weren't exactly the cheapest in the line-up !

Just saying that it IS possible to design a DAC to sound as bad as it measures ..

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #56 of 79
Yes, but:

If you get the circuit working at all it's difficult to *uck it up too much. Then if you've got some testgear you can tune your design. Designing a DAC is not a big trick. Making a very, very cheap one, that's another matter. I mean, be reasonable.

w

Mar 11, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #57 of 79

White paint is the superior paint! ALL HAIL THE WHITE PAINT!

White paint is the superior paint.  All the others have colorations!  ALL HAIL THE WHITE PAINT!

I'm not sure how many people claim tube amps to be "better", I think it's universally recognised that they are just a different kettle of fish.

Everyone knows tube amps are better.  Period.

I remember when everyone was complaining about the iPod because it had a "cheap, crappy DAC" that you couldn't bypass. I did a direct A/B line level matched comparison between my iPod and my $900 home player and couldn't detect any difference between them. Later, I compared a $45 Coby DVD player's output, and again no difference. The line out of every digital player I've owned in the past six or seven years... from blu-ray to iPod to iPad to iPhone, the DACs built into my AV amp, the line outs of my various Macs, cheap DVD players, and most recently a headphone amp/DAC that costs over a grand.... all sound exactly the same.

Oh come on Julian, you don't really believe that, do you.  The next thing you'll be saying is that all CD players sound the same.

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #59 of 79

White paint is the superior paint.  All the others have colorations!  ALL HAIL THE WHITE PAINT!

Everyone knows tube amps are better.  Period.

Oh come on Julian, you don't really believe that, do you.  The next thing you'll be saying is that all CD players sound the same.

I like you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back