TommyAtkins' Haircut Mini-Review
Jun 19, 2003 at 8:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tommyatkins

500+ Head-Fier
TommyAtkins' Haircut Review

The Hair
I had longish hair more suitable in the 60s or 70s, which looked awesome with my big cop style sunglasses. However, It was compromising my auditory experiences and was horribly annoying when ever I did any thing physically active, so pretty much almost all day long.There might be pictures of me at the June Bay Area meet.

I buzzed it to 1" on the top, and 3/4" on the sides. Feels nice.

The Gear
This simple review was done on a stock Sony D-25s through a Plastics One mini-to-mini IC to an older version Total Airhead to AKG K501 cans. The Music is a burned copy of the Black Keys' 2003 album "Thickfreakness". I am quite familar with this sound, as I have been listening to this set up a fair amount recently.

The Sound
Post-Hair, there is noticable "unveiling" and bass extension and impact. The trebals seem sharper and clearer. The guitar rifts sound awesome, distinct, and cleaner. The mids stand out much more. The soundstage in general seems to have opened up, letting me here the duo clearly, and well positioned. Overall, it seems best described as if I just moved something out of the way of the sound, and the music just sounds clearer and distinct. Less muted and less slurred.

Bottom Line
Based on these impressions, I highly recommend such a tweak to your system. It was free (borrowed the clippers) and resulted in noticable sonic improvement. As always this will depend on your particular system. Remember that hearing is subjective, and my impressions noted here are merely my opinions. Good luck and happy headphoning!

TA

Jun 19, 2003 at 9:24 AM Post #2 of 5
I think Jude will be proud of you! If that is not an excuse for a custom title I don't know what is.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2003 at 9:49 AM Post #3 of 5
I thought I was the only one who figured out the hair thing and headphones.

When I had my Koss Pro-4's, I was a GI, so my hair was always short.

MUCH later, when I was both a civilian and had my HD497's, I noticed that it took about 1/2 hour for them to sound "right". Somebody once claimed it took their Beyer 250-80's about the same time to "break-in" each time they listened to them. I was wondering if it was just the headphones getting up to what ever temperature my head is (hey,....).

Well, I wear hearing protectors where I work. I almost never listen to my headphones right after I come home. But one night, I DID, and the 1/2 hour sound was right there! Why? The hearing protectors mashed my hair flat, and the HD497's sat where they were supposed to.

So I went out and got a haircut - and noticed VASTLY better balance and definition, and no 1/2 hour wait.

My AKG 501's aren't as affected by hair thickness as the HD497's. But it is a lot easier to use a thin comb and pull back whatever is between the pads and my head with the 501's.

Of course, I never had a problem with my Ety's and hair.

I never wrote anything about this, since I thought you folks might begin to think I was nuts....

Jun 19, 2003 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 5
i second John. that was a great post, gave my day some early morning levity (ok, its not so early anymore..)

and yeah, i am a proponent of buzzed hair. so easy to maintain. quick to wash, quick to dry, no brushing necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back