Tomahawk !!!
Jan 20, 2007 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

TedGamble

Head-Fier
My Tomahawk arrived today. When I opened the box and took out that tiny black box, my initial thought was, "I paid $295 for something this small?"

Then, I plugged the Senn CX300's in and put on Boston's Third Stage album.

All I can say is HOLY FREAKIN' COW!!!!!!! Tears came to my eyes as the phenomal richness thundered inside of my head. I'm waiting on the arrival of my ALO Jena Cryo Dock, so for now I'm only using the standard audio out jack. It's hard to imagine that it will get even better than this, but according to all that I've read hear, with the ALO dock and some burn-in, the best is yet to come.

HOLY FREAKIN' COW!!!!
Ray, you done good... You done real freakin' good.

Thank you.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #4 of 19
Congrats on the purchase! I couldn't believe the size either when I got mine and I already had a Hornet which is pretty small itself. Pictures just don't seem to convey exacly how small these things are.

I also think it sounds great and liked it enough that I felt ok letting go of my Hornet. So far I've been very happy with it combined with my nano, cryo micro and UM2s. I'm sure you will be very happy with the cryo and should notice a nice improvement switching to the line out.

Anyway, enjoy!

Jan 20, 2007 at 7:16 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pretty much, an ALO Bling Bling\E500 (eBay)\and GoVibe v5s would have been marginally better in sound @ a similiar price!

No problem. Now he can get the E500s and have super sound (or whatever cans, big or small, his li'l heart and weeping wallet can bear).

Sorry 'bout yer wallet, indeed. I can hear the vacuum sucking at those tiny dark corners.
evil_smiley.gif
lambda.gif
k1000smile.gif
600smile.gif
etysmile.gif
orphsmile.gif

You'll be posting before-and-aft pics in Jahn's closing-in-on-200-page thread in notimeatall......
rs1smile.gif
340smile.gif
gs1000.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 1:37 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No problem. Now he can get the E500s and have super sound (or whatever cans, big or small, his li'l heart and weeping wallet can bear).

Sorry 'bout yer wallet, indeed. I can hear the vacuum sucking at those tiny dark corners.
evil_smiley.gif
lambda.gif
k1000smile.gif
600smile.gif
etysmile.gif
orphsmile.gif

You'll be posting before-and-aft pics in Jahn's closing-in-on-200-page thread in notimeatall......
rs1smile.gif
340smile.gif
gs1000.gif

I was aware of that.. my statement was more or less saying you could have maximized the sound immediately, and then added a more "higher end" amp to further increase the subtle changes.... carriage before the horse logic..
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by KrooLism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A bit off topic - is the Tomahawk powerful enough to power the ER4S with its 100ohm impedence?

From what I've read, people are using their Tomahawks to drive Senn 600/650s and Grados, all which are greater than 100oms.

Jan 20, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I've read, people are using their Tomahawks to drive Senn 600/650s and Grados, all which are greater than 100oms.

In addition to HD600, HD650 -- I use it every day at work with the DT880-250/2005. In fact, with the HD650 I thought I was listening at Hi-Gain around 12:00-1:30 volume, and later noticed it was at Lo-Gain.

Sounds great with all 3, but especially the DT880.

Actually -- I only heard the HDs fairly early in "burn in". After full "burn in" (450 hours or so) I'll try HD650, HD600, K701, DT880, K501, PXC300, ES2 IEMs, Vsonic IEMs -- and post notes, and comparisons with my M-modded-Hornet.

Jan 23, 2007 at 11:53 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In addition to HD600, HD650 -- I use it every day at work with the DT880-250/2005. In fact, with the HD650 I thought I was listening at Hi-Gain around 12:00-1:30 volume, and later noticed it was at Lo-Gain.

Sounds great with all 3, but especially the DT880.

Actually -- I only heard the HDs fairly early in "burn in". After full "burn in" (450 hours or so) I'll try HD650, HD600, K701, DT880, K501, PXC300, ES2 IEMs, Vsonic IEMs -- and post notes, and comparisons with my M-modded-Hornet.

You "NEED" to get this comparison out Romanee...=)

itching to read it..

Jan 23, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by *645-k701 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You "NEED" to get this comparison out Romanee...=)

itching to read it..

Hey big T!!

My TH is still not quite ready -- but I posted a few brief (chuckle) interim notes in the "Hornet or Tomahawk?" thread:

Brief Interim TH teaser notes...

After the TH is optimized, then I still have to find time to do concentrated, comparative listening.

.....work … wife … family … occasional snack+nap … Sigh. (vintage whine
tongue.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back