Tomahawk Gain vs Volume
Jan 18, 2010 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bcwang

500+ Head-Fier
I was wondering if anyone knows the appropriate time to use the different Gain settings on the Tomahawk. Ray's site says the "high" gain setting is for driving all low impedance headphones, and "low" is for driving IEMs.

For IEMs I can understand using low because otherwise it is too loud before the channels become balanced. However, I'm getting conflicting ideas on what to use for full size headphones.

My understanding is the volume control adds distortion, so the more you can get the volume control out of the way, by raising it close to 0 attenuation the better. So this would mean it is best to leave the gain at "low" all the time unless max volume is not loud enough, then you would switch it to "high" and get additional volume. However, I've read from many that gain of "high" is more dynamic and sounds better, this contradicts my original theory.

-So does the gain actually change something else that makes the sound different in the tomahawk?

-Based on Ray's literature, does the tomahawk not drive "high" impedance phones well? What is considered high impedance?

-Should you use low or high gain if both can reach the desired volume on your headphone?

Feb 18, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #3 of 10
Yea... but I would have to agree that I THINK with my ears, having the gain on and the volume lower sounds a little more "engaging". When I used my iBasso T4 with my PFEs, everything sounded fuller when the gain was on.

That's just me though.

Feb 28, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #5 of 10
Just use whatever sounds best. Its not like youll hurt the unit for a wrong choice, if there was a wrong choice.

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #6 of 10
Ill know as soon my my Tomahawk gets here. Its supposed to be mailed out today, so when i get it, ill try it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #7 of 10
The gain does not influence the sound.

I always leave mine at low. It powers all my phones well beyond listening levels. That includes all Grados, 250ohm beyer dt880, 400ohm beyer dt220 and the 62ohm (though very low sensitivity) akg k702.

Mar 9, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #8 of 10
Yeah, mine is working ok on low if i turn up the Zune instead.
I use high on 650s though when im walking around the house.

Mar 13, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 10
I was wondering what is the point of the gain switch when on low gain it already drives the k701 to beyond listenable levels. I can't imagine what headphone requires high gain and the tomahawk still has enough power to drive to produce good sound.

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #10 of 10
Then if youre happy with it on low, leave it on low
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back