Tomahawk batteries got installed wrong!!!
Oct 3, 2007 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

ace8888

100+ Head-Fier
I installed Tomahawk batteries the wrong way (got reversed, the picture instruction on the Toma isn't that clear for me.)
and there's this smell of battery leak of some sort... or maybe it's the smell of a new unit? (it's my friend's)

After I reversed both of them, the power turned on and it sounds great
k1000smile.gif

IMO, I can notice the difference with or w/o the TOma..

but I'm a little worried though if I might broke the Tomahawk's circuit, cuz in the instruction manual it says that if the batteries got reversed your Toma circuit might be damaged...

Anybody know any better?
confused.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #2 of 22
Usually when others have installed the batteries in reverse, the unit had to be sent back to Ray because of inoperability.

Maybe that smell of burnt IC did nothing, and you quickly switched them back. Or it lowered the quality of the TH and you're not aware of what it originally supposed to sound.

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by greydragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Usually when others have installed the batteries in reverse, the unit had to be sent back to Ray because of inoperability.

Maybe that smell of burnt IC did nothing, and you quickly switched them back. Or it lowered the quality of the TH and you're not aware of what it originally supposed to sound.

inoperability as in it won't turned on?

mine can still be turned on.. and yeah my main concern is that I won't know if the sound produced will be damaged.
blink.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ace8888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
inoperability as in it won't turned on?...

Yes, not able to produce an output.

Quote:

and yeah my main concern is that I won't know if the sound produced will be damaged.
blink.gif

That problem is not 'will' be damaged, but is damaged after installing the batteries in reverse. I'm not claiming to be an expert in electronics, but I have taken classes on building and analyzing circuits. The thing that drives most amplifiers are OpAmps: a IC that 'amplifies' the source signal, and can change the frequency depending on the opamp, therefore changing the sound signature coming out of one.

Opamps can easily be damaged when hooked up to a power source in reverse--I found that out while building a circuit on a bread board; while they may still function, it might not do what it's supposed to well. In case of a delicate opamp of the Tomahawk, reversing even small AAA batteries may have done some damage to the 'signature' of what a TH is supposed to sound like. Even though you're getting a sound output, it may not be what the TH should sound like.

I think you'd have to compare to fully operational Tomahawk to make sure, or it'll be in the back of your mind.

Oct 3, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by rxc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give Ray an email.

Will do..

Weird tho, my source definitely sounds better with the Tomahawk... more punch to the bass, and more clarity..

Anybody know if there's any sure way to "test" whether my Thawk got damaged

or not?

Oct 3, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

... more punch to the bass, and more clarity..

Sounds about what the TH should be. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything
plainface.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #8 of 22
You should do a listen test vs. another tomahawk. It is only then that you can determine whether it is sonically damaged or not. The degradation may be too subtle, or maybe just insignificant.

Quote:

Will do..

Weird tho, my source definitely sounds better with the Tomahawk... more punch to the bass, and more clarity..

Anybody know if there's any sure way to "test" whether my Thawk got damaged

or not?

Oct 3, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #9 of 22
Uhm... if it doesn't sound weird, it should be fine, probably has at least some kind of inverted power source protection. If you would have reversed the power, most likely opamp would have been fried and any capacitor with reverse voltage specs lower than the battery would be blown. Chances are, you're fine.

Oct 3, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Least you did not bust off the gain switch the first time putting batteries in cause you were to lazy to unscrew both back plate screws to get at the battery section...

Wait a second i know someone who did that..

ops..
tongue.gif

Oh come.....

No one can be THAT lazy
wink.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #13 of 22
The smell of burned components sure is not a good sign, even if its still working. I would contact Ray, asking for his opinion.
Cause you might be better off getting him to take a look at it.

I guess you check battery polarity next time..
wink.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #15 of 22
I had a brief brain fart when I got my Toma & put the batteries in reverse. Here's my email to Ray and his reply. By the way, you should feel free to ask him for help. Ray's customer service is terrific, as is his product.

Ray's response:

Don’t worry, no harm is done if your amp works.

The sound is changing because it is breaking in.

Cheers.

Ray Samuels

My email:

Hi Ray,

A couple of weeks ago I accidentally put the batteries into my Toma in reverse. I know this isn't good, BUT late at night on little sleep these things happen. The amp seems ok, but I'm curious what the impact might be of doing that. Will it just burn out the amp so it doesn't work? Or might it be a more subtle impact on sound quality?

I ask because on some days the amp sounds different to me. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. Never bad, just different. Maybe just burn in happening, but I wanted to be comfortable I didn't hurt it with the battery reversal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back