Tolkien fans: where to next?
Feb 19, 2008 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Jeff Guidry

Headphoneus Supremus
Just got finished re-reading The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, and finally I managed to get through The Silmarillion, and I really enjoyed it.

Now I'm ready for more Tolkien, but there is a bewildering array of posthumous Tolkien works to plow through. For someone ready to go deeper, what's the next logical step in the Tolkien universe?

I am not interested at this time in suggestions for works other than Tolkien's. Thanks.

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 19
Ender%27s_game_cover_ISBN_0312932081.jpg

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 19
X2 on The Hobbit

The Children of Hurin (More detail on that part of The Silmarillion)

The lost tales, and all the rest of Tolkiens works.

Then get hardcore and play The Lord of the Rings Online! May I suggest the Landroval server.
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 19
I think you ask a questionthat many people probably ask. Personally I cannot go back to fantasy unless it is humourous. I started with Wheel of Time but after I begun lotr found it to be mere filler (for me). I have moved to other genre as I can find nothing to compare to Tolkien. I have tried numerous award winners since then and found nothing but time-not-well-spent holes.

I re read jrr series every year now just so I can keep a taste for fantasy other than d and d.

Right now I have begun reading the excellent and contemporary sci fi of cory Doctorow - a wonderful writer who I think will bring Canadian writing back to a respectable front in English writing.

He certainly is riding high on whuffie right now

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you ask a questionthat many people probably ask. Personally I cannot go back to fantasy unless it is humourous. I started with Wheel of Time but after I begun lotr found it to be mere filler (for me). I have moved to other genre as I can find nothing to compare to Tolkien. I have tried numerous award winners since then and found nothing but time-not-well-spent holes.

I re read jrr series every year now just so I can keep a taste for fantasy other than d and d.

Right now I have begun reading the excellent and contemporary sci fi of cory Doctorow - a wonderful writer who I think will bring Canadian writing back to a respectable front in English writing.

Same thing. I find myself unable to get into other fantasy books since I first picked up Tolkien 26 years ago.

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #7 of 19
I can see where you might have seen some ambiguity in my query. So now I will restate specifically: what Tolkien works should I go to next after Lord of the Rings and Silmarillion. I have read The Hobbit.

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can see where you might have seen some ambiguity in my query. So now I will restate specifically: what Tolkien works should I go to next after Lord of the Rings and Silmarillion. I have read The Hobbit.

Besides my other suggestions above I would say don't just read it...play it!
biggrin.gif

The Lord of The Rings

HeHe yes shameless plug!

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 19
Oh...only Tolkien? Um...Book of lost tales 1 & 2? Maybe the Adventures of Tom Bombadil?

Let's face it...you've covered most of his major works with what you've already read. At least his fiction, anyway.

EDIT: And now I'm going to step out of this thread before I get myself into trouble. Enjoy, all.

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #10 of 19
To the statements about fantasy: Tolkien's work isn't mere sword and sorcery based escapist pulp. It is it's own well constructed mythological universe, which is why all other "fantasy" feels lightweight to say the least. The fact that Tolkien sketched out the entire history of his universe from creation to the end of the Third Age is testimony to his true seriousness at creating something much more than a pleasant evenings diversion.

Feb 19, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #11 of 19
Tolkien is an interesting read, but I believe he DID begin writing his myths as night-time stories for children. So it wasn't an over-arching vision of a grand new world that inspired him to write. Clearly, he had a deep talent for writing grand fantasy, backed up by etymology and placed in a (fantasy) historical context. But I don't think he has ever said he conceived the LOTR/Hobbit/Silmarillion works from the beginning as a unified story. They evolved from the first works, as the first works were well-received and there was demand for more.

Personally, I find reading Tolkien to be a bit tedious, but I know there are those who enjoy the poems/songs and attention to etymology. I've never found another author who writes just like Tolkien. Might be due to the fact that there is no other author who shared Tolkien's experiences and perspective.

It might be more helpful if you can identify what it is that you like about Tolkien's works, then try to find good works by an author who writes in that way.

Anyway, here are three recommendations for good reading:

1) George R.R. Martin : wonderful characterization, good storytelling, above average world development, everyone I've recommended read GRRM has thoroughly enjoed it

2) Brandon Sanderson : most creative magic mechanisms in some time, great world building, somewhat stereotypical character development

3) Robert Jordan : most deeply developed modern fantasy series that are worth reading, excellent political development, good magic...and some books (6-8, 11) are page-turners...other books are bloated, lazily edited, and reminiscent of Dickens (that is, he was clearly paid by the word/book).

Feb 19, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #12 of 19
Well the OP really did not want other suggestions past Tolkiens own works, but since other suggestions are being thrown out there, I might as well say The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. Just for the fact Tolkien and Lewis were great friends, and belonged to "The Inkings"; which was a private group of people who wrote stories. Lewis and Tolkien would critique each others works. The Chronicles is a breeze to read compared to Tolkiens masterpiece.

Feb 19, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tolkien is an interesting read, but I believe he DID begin writing his myths as night-time stories for children. So it wasn't an over-arching vision of a grand new world that inspired him to write. Clearly, he had a deep talent for writing grand fantasy, backed up by etymology and placed in a (fantasy) historical context. But I don't think he has ever said he conceived the LOTR/Hobbit/Silmarillion works from the beginning as a unified story. They evolved from the first works, as the first works were well-received and there was demand for more.

Personally, I find reading Tolkien to be a bit tedious, but I know there are those who enjoy the poems/songs and attention to etymology. I've never found another author who writes just like Tolkien. Might be due to the fact that there is no other author who shared Tolkien's experiences and perspective.

It might be more helpful if you can identify what it is that you like about Tolkien's works, then try to find good works by an author who writes in that way.

Anyway, here are three recommendations for good reading:

1) George R.R. Martin : wonderful characterization, good storytelling, above average world development, everyone I've recommended read GRRM has thoroughly enjoed it

2) Brandon Sanderson : most creative magic mechanisms in some time, great world building, somewhat stereotypical character development

3) Robert Jordan : most deeply developed modern fantasy series that are worth reading, excellent political development, good magic...and some books (6-8, 11) are page-turners...other books are bloated, lazily edited, and reminiscent of Dickens (that is, he was clearly paid by the word/book).

You just said everything I wanted to say (except I've never read Sanderson...will have to look him up). Thanks, Omega.

::runs and ducks for cover::

Feb 19, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #14 of 19
Glad something I said was useful
smily_headphones1.gif
. Sorry to go off-topic for a post, but for those interested, Robert Jordan (aka James Rigney) passed away in 2007, leaving his voluminous Wheel of Time series without the final novel.

Brandon Sanderson has been signed to write that last novel. Sanderson is very young, and has only published 3 fantasy novels (and some children's books) so far, but they are all excellent. Elantris is a nice self-encapsulated one-book story, fairly quick read. Mistborn is better, and stands well enough as a single novel, though if you like fantasy, I can pretty much guarantee you'll read the next book in that series too!

Apologies to the OP, I plainly missed the fact that you were only looking for Tolkien recommendations...like missing the mustard in the fridge, I guess.

Feb 19, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Humorous fantasy you ask for? Look no further than Terry Pratchett's discworld series. Hilarious fantasy, I love it
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back