Tokyo June 8 mini-meet impressions.
Jun 13, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #31 of 46
Quote:
So perhaps the TH900 did not have it's ideal amplifier?  If so,
that's a factor that can make a difference in tightness of bass
and overall 'presence'.

Is it even fair to compare the TH900 to something like the SR-009?  They sound quite different to me.  In other words I would listen to very different music on each of them in the best case.  Or are they really that close?

Jun 13, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #32 of 46
What did you guy think about the Eximus DP-1's phone out?  When I had it I thought it was good but not great.  It was a tad bright sounding to my ears.  Knowing that you guys prefer the sound of the Zana over the Eximus DP-1's headphone out is no surprise.  As a DAC, the DP-1 is colored but very musical with wonderful presentation.  I really miss the Eximus DP-1 as a DAC.  

Jun 13, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #34 of 46
...ignore that, question already asked. 
confused_face.gif

Jun 13, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #36 of 46
I should have tried the TH900s with my Pico Power now I think of it. That combo I'm sure would have been good.

Quote:
Where was I?

Standing on your balcony, in your underwear, realising the neighbour has just seen you.

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #37 of 46
Awesome mini-meet.

So perhaps the TH900 did not have it's ideal amplifier?  If so,
that's a factor that can make a difference in tightness of bass
and overall 'presence'.

We had AnakChan's HP-A8, which I would assume is the ideal amp for the TH900 but I don't remember using it.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #38 of 46
People have commented on the "darkness" of the LCD3, did you find them to work better with certain genres... In particular did you find that it affected the presentation of classical/symphonic works?

Jun 17, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #39 of 46
Nice spread Chaps. Looks like a nice day out with some nice gear.

Some interesting observations too, with the Zana and LCD3s.

Jun 17, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #40 of 46
Quote:
People have commented on the "darkness" of the LCD3, did you find them to work better with certain genres... In particular did you find that it affected the presentation of classical/symphonic works?

IIRC my LCD-3s have the classic drop in FR at 4kHz, which is the peak for most classical instruments, making that, and jazz, sound a bit "dark" at times. I have no trouble with them listening to classical. I think it was the LCD-2s that were less precise with it.

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #42 of 46
Hey guys, I am a student of Waseda University and will be living in Tokyo from Sept. till basically June of next year and so on. 

It'll be great if I can join the gang and get to know some english-speaking audiophiles at Tokyo!
I will bring my SR-009 to Tokyo for listen. And if possible, I can also provide a Meridian 808.2 and SRM-727.

Anyways, great meet and great thread!

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #43 of 46
Hi chiaki, will be great to get to meet you and possibly listen to your high end Meridian player some day! The fall headphone festival by Fujiya Avic may be a good timing to get together (around the beginning of october if I remember correctly).

Jun 28, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #44 of 46
I've always wanted to visit Fujiya Avic but never had the chance to. Maybe I'll actually go this time for the headphone festival. 

How to you guys stay in touch btw? I don't have a Japanese cellphone yet, but I'll get one once I'm there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back