Todd,How much of a real "Vinyl Junkie" are you?
Apr 9, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by Todd
Hi ReDVsion,

Give me a call and I'll try to talk you out of it.... and if you believe that I have some snow for sale in Alaska
biggrin.gif

Todd

More like oceanfront property in Arizona. I believe that you can sell me Alaskan snow (although it might not arrive that way, me living in Texas and all), but somehow I doubt your abilities to deter me from your own obsession!

[size=xx-small]Don't suppose you could give me a few suggestions on moderately priced ($150 or so) vintage turntables, though...[/size]

biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2004 at 11:42 PM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by Todd
Hi ReDVsion,

Give me a call and I'll try to talk you out of it.... and if you believe that I have some snow for sale in Alaska
biggrin.gif

Todd

Whatever you do Todd, don't send me a bunch of records for free, I can't get the vinyl bug either
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2004 at 3:55 PM Post #19 of 41
Why do I love to record hunt in Chicago??? The availability of so many titles, the lower overall prices, and I really like the city. I lived in Chicago in the late 70's and early 80's and bought many a record there from Rolling Stone records out on Irving Park and Harlem. There was a Sounds Good on Ashland and School st that was walking distance from my apt that I frequented. I have friends in Chicago, I am somewhat familiar with the city and think it is a great place to visit. there is also a general friendliness in Chicago that doesn't seem to exist in the other big cities I have been to.

I lived in Phoenix before I moved here (Montana) and I bought a lot of records there but Chicago has more vinyl to offer. And the live music and history are always a big draw for me.

On my last visit my web guy Tom took me to a couple of record stores and Tuberoller took me to some places that were great. I scored a lot of vinyl and had fun doing it. I can't wait to do it again!!! Maybe when there is another Head-Fi meet I can make it and do some collecting too.

Next time I am in Chicago I'll check with you to see if you can/want to go record hunting or check out some live music. Or at least do some headphone listening at the meet or lunch or something. I look forward to it!

Todd

Apr 13, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #20 of 41
i was at rolling stones last night, im there every week. its about a 45 min drive down on harlem but its worth it. my friends dont get it at all. i tell them this place not only has the best prices but there is a history behind it and it makes the music you buy alot more fun, but they think coconuts are for music..lol

there are quite a few record shops in chicago, esp on clark street.

but there will be a meet this month in chicago, either way next time your in please feel free to call..who knows if its july or before i might have you hand deliver the rs-1's...lol

Apr 13, 2004 at 9:59 PM Post #21 of 41
good to hear Rolling Stone is still there. My guess is that they no longer have vinyl - am I correct? I cannot make it to this Chicago meet but in the future I will be there.... not sure when - I have to fill up my piggy bank so I can afford to be there. I get these vinyl shakes something fierce...

Todd

Apr 14, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #23 of 41
Lessee:

---Drive 120 miles round trip to get your cartridge installed by a super expert

--- erect towers of CeeDees to keep the kitties away from the turntable

--multiple copies is easy; that is hardly junkie-level!

Apr 14, 2004 at 6:15 AM Post #24 of 41
I just found some Audio-Technica "Sonic Tonic". Only a true vinyl junkie would know what this is...

Apr 27, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #25 of 41
well i can say i have this problem where i MUST get a copy of steely dan's AJA if i see it on vinyl.

a few months ago i saw a copy of it, the cover looked PRISTINE, and it was only 7 dollars!

my gf wouldnt let me get it!

we have since broke up, but i dont care. vinyl is my only love.
eggosmile.gif

Apr 27, 2004 at 5:02 AM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelydoubt
well i can say i have this problem where i MUST get a copy of steely dan's AJA if i see it on vinyl.

a few months ago i saw a copy of it, the cover looked PRISTINE, and it was only 7 dollars!

my gf wouldnt let me get it!

we have since broke up, but i dont care. vinyl is my only love.
eggosmile.gif

HAH!!!! A real vinyl junkie would have dumped her on the spot.

Apr 27, 2004 at 5:06 AM Post #27 of 41
Sorry to hear you passed up a perfectly good copy of AJA. It is my all-time favorite and I have far too many copies/ versions of it. But if I see any more they will be here with the rest. Steelydoubt, I hope now that you don't have someone deciding what albums you buy that you find all the vinyl you ever wanted and it is on sale or in the dollar rack. And it is in great shape!

I just had a minor miracle occur - I have an album that Tubey doesn't AND one he likes. It will be on the way to him tomorrow. The album... Richie Havens Stonehenge. And it is in good shape - did you hear that Fred, in GOOD shape!

Todd

Apr 27, 2004 at 5:13 AM Post #28 of 41
I am going to be picking up approximately 400+ albums from my father-in-law's collection this weekend. Any idea where I can get a nice looking record storage unit? Suitable to be placed in the family room?

The Boltz vinyl rack is not an option. The BW is barely tolerating my Boltz CD rack.

Apr 27, 2004 at 5:17 AM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
HAH!!!! A real vinyl junkie would have dumped her on the spot.

Says the guy that divorced an Orpheus to keep his wife...

Apr 27, 2004 at 5:25 AM Post #30 of 41
Hi JMT,

Sounds like way too much fun - 400 albums to look through, clean, play and file. I have some very nice, stackable record crates that should be here soon. I will try to take a picture of the crates I have here from the first batch that I couldn't bring myself to sell. I used the first 15 crates to organise most of my collection but I am getting more soon. They will be selling for $75 a crate. They are hand crafted by my brother from Silver Maple. Let me know if you are interested... each crate holds between 100 and 125 albums.

Eric343,

I owe you a HUGE apology for not getting back to you on the cable you lent me to test. I will make good shortly with a review here and I will return the cable to you soon. SORRY!!!

Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back