today's vinyl quality?
Nov 4, 2010 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

sterling1

500+ Head-Fier
I stopped buying records with the advent of CD, no more annoying snap, crackle, and pop. Are today's re-issues and new releases absent of the snap, crackle, and pop  of yesterday's material?

Nov 4, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #2 of 19
If your records are clean, free of static and played using a stylus that's in good condition, they sound just as quiet as yesterday's material.
smile_phones.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #3 of 19
Im curious about the prosses used today.. what is the source of the audio used to make the stamp... Digital or what... if its a digital source then wouldnt that defeat the purpose of vinyl? 

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 19

Quote:
Im curious about the prosses used today.. what is the source of the audio used to make the stamp... Digital or what... if its a digital source then wouldnt that defeat the purpose of vinyl? 

I figured that too, but the digital to analogue conversion would be done by specialized high end equipment, and it is probably at least 24 bit 192khz source material so that's heads and tails above CD and probably any DAC that is in consumer range.

This, I've hypothesized.

Nov 4, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #5 of 19
Well, if today, they're like they were, with snap, crackle, and pop, why are records making a come-back? 

Nov 5, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #6 of 19

Quote:
Well, if today, they're like they were, with snap, crackle, and pop, why are records making a come-back? 

Well I don't think it is making a come back per se. I don't think it really ever died. If there was ever a decline in vinyl it is because CD's seemed like the new thing. But vinyl still sounds as good as it ever did. It is not like VHS in that VHS is/was a poor medium for video. Vinyl is just another method of obtaining sound.

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #7 of 19

Quote:

the only reason your records sounded that way back then was because they were dirty, scratched or full of static....and yes, they would do the same today in the same condition. 

has nothing to do with old vs new.....its condition of the record that matters. 

Nov 6, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
 the only reason your records sounded that way back then was because they were dirty, scratched or full of static....and yes, they would do the same today in the same condition. 

has nothing to do with old vs new.....its condition of the record that matters. 

+1. You took the words right out of my keyboard!

Nov 6, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #10 of 19
I spin clean, undamaged vinyl that's been zapped with my Zerostat gun, on a good deck with a good cartridge.

Pops, clicks, et al. are rare. This is with both new and old records.

Nov 7, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #11 of 19
Just for grins and giggles, I recently purchased The Rolling Stones "Let It Bleed" on vinyl. This is an album produced from DSD remastered material. Listening to the recording, from my 32 year old Sony PS-4750 fitted with a Shure V15V MR cartridge, I noted a few pops. Also, comparing this album to the same one  downloaded from itunes, the itunes material  seems to sound better, barely discernible, but nevertheless better. So, I'm thinking, why  should I reconside buyingr vinyl over CD's or downloads? Maybe, with a better player and cartridge I could discern a reason for vinyl, yet, I'm not inclined to spend money for a result which is uncertain. What are your thoughts on this matter of listening pleasure?

Nov 7, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #12 of 19

Quote:
Just for grins and giggles, I recently purchased The Rolling Stones "Let It Bleed" on vinyl. This is an album produced from DSD remastered material. Listening to the recording, from my 32 year old Sony PS-4750 fitted with a Shure V15V MR cartridge, I noted a few pops. Also, comparing this album to the same one  downloaded from itunes, the itunes material  seems to sound better, barely discernible, but nevertheless better. So, I'm thinking, why  should I reconside buyingr vinyl over CD's or downloads? Maybe, with a better player and cartridge I could discern a reason for vinyl, yet, I'm not inclined to spend money for a result which is uncertain. What are your thoughts on this matter of listening pleasure?

You appear to have already made up your mind. Different strokes, my friend.

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #13 of 19
Esactly. It all comes down to what you want and what direction you want to go in to achieve the sound You like. If you are happy, great. And it sounds like you are. Everyone here has a different reason for listening and how they want to do that. Some of us see a real cost benefit from going with vinyl as our primary method of listening. If you don't want to pend that extra money to try, put it into something else

Nov 7, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #14 of 19
I'm having fun experimenting with what I've got, computer audio, CD's, SACD's, and vinyl.  But, so far, it appears,  itunes from the computer to the home stereo sounds pretty good; plus, it's convenient. Still, I'm enjoying the experimentation with the old vinyl, as well as new.

Nov 8, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #15 of 19
I have a question, can a new, undamaged and clean vinyl on a decent turntable in good condition play for 60 minutes (you can restart it) without any parasitic noise attributed to vinyl playback, ie. clicks, pops, hiss, crackle...
If yes, could it do so aver 5 hours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back