Today's ECM Playlist
Feb 4, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #16 of 80
1707078345051.jpeg

Rewards multiple, year-after-year listenings!

Feb 5, 2024 at 1:35 AM Post #17 of 80
Two of my favourites:
C3D5143A-05A6-493E-8E68-4F2960A3F535.jpeg
[ECM 1026: recorded November, 1972.]

1897093A-D3B7-42CB-85CA-1D5784AD0D05.jpeg
[ECM 1058: recorded November, 1974.]

Feb 5, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #18 of 80
Feb 5, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #19 of 80
I have many of the 1970s ECMs in original German vinyl pressing. It has taken awhile to find actual ECM CDs of these vinyl .... Still in search of the CD of ECM 1039 (Lookout Farm, Dave Liebman) and of ECM 1054 (Eon, Richie Beirach).

Feb 6, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #21 of 80
I have many of the 1970s ECMs in original German vinyl pressing. It has taken awhile to find actual ECM CDs of these vinyl .... Still in search of the CD of ECM 1039 (Lookout Farm, Dave Liebman) and of ECM 1054 (Eon, Richie Beirach).

Very cool! I'll be looking forward to seeing more of your collection posted in here, if you decide to share. :slight_smile:

I haven't gotten into vinyl with ECM releases yet, since the sound quality of the recordings is so good I haven't felt the need to chase down other formats besides CD. (CD is my default format for music; if a album, to me, suffers from bad production or is a victim of the LOUDNESS war, then I might seek out alternative formats to the CD to see if they have improved fidelity).

Featuring Kuhn's beautiful piano playing, this is what I'd describe as "classy/dinner/evening jazz".

https://ecmrecords.com/product/wisteria-steve-kuhn-steve-swallow-joey-baron/

1.jpg

Feb 7, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #22 of 80
Feb 7, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #23 of 80
His first recording for ECM. He is now a revered jazz musician in Europe (and elsewhere).
187EB13E-C47B-462D-9A02-2116ACF9B049.jpeg
[ECM 1063: recorded May, 1975; released September, 1975.] This record is a staggering achievement, technically and emotionally.

Feb 9, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #24 of 80
Rava...I have some of his material & his output with others; I don't have that one (yet) though! Looks good!

Pretty much indescribable, but here's an attempt. Always a good listen.

Folder (5).jpg

Feb 10, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #25 of 80
1707582453796.jpeg

Such amazing music, beautifully engineered and with so many great small moments. One of my favorites is listening to Bill Frisell's rhythm guitar comping during Gary Burton's vibraphone solo on the title cut Fluid Rustle (around 4:35 to 5:46). His guitar comes out of the left channel is nicely up in the mix so you can really hear it. A lesson in perfection -- relaxed, but dynamic chording in a pretty complex melodic environment.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #26 of 80
Nice Bob: I love Weber's work, and have several albums of his, but I don't have that one yet!

New to me album. (I have another album with Henriksen; it's not an ECM release).

Another "beyond classification" ECM album (some descriptors I'd use would be ambient, minimal, experimental, electronica, dark, even at times ethereal) with many contributors; here you can see the list of instruments/musicians involved. David Sylvian makes an appearance; he performs spoken word material on two tracks.

I'm enjoying this enough that I'm going to check out some other albums from the main performers here (Henriksen, Bang, Aarset).

Folder (8).jpg

Feb 13, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #27 of 80
Nice Bob: I love Weber's work, and have several albums of his, but I don't have that one yet!

New to me album. (I have another album with Henriksen; it's not an ECM release).

Another "beyond classification" ECM album (some descriptors I'd use would be ambient, minimal, experimental, electronica, dark, even at times ethereal) with many contributors; here you can see the list of instruments/musicians involved. David Sylvian makes an appearance; he performs spoken word material on two tracks.

I'm enjoying this enough that I'm going to check out some other albums from the main performers here (Henriksen, Bang, Aarset).

I'm not too familiar with Arve Henriksen but I am somewhat aware of that record and will give it a listen (he also has a brand new one out on ECM with Harmen Fraanje called Touch of Time). I also checked out your link to his other record (Sequential Stream) and, wow, the first few songs were amazing and I'm going to make a point of giving that one an undistracted deep listen. I'm really a fan of the whole electronics-enhanced chamber jazz thing, Jan Bang, Jon Hassell, David Torn, Eivind Aarset and others.

David Sylvian is one of my favorite musicians although I'm only familiar with a very limited amount of his discography, my favorite being Dead Bees on A Cake (Darkest Dreaming...). I will check out his spoken word songs first from Cartography. Strangely, my intro to his music was long ago on the Hearts of Space radio show (from the early 90's) as he, as you probably know, has done ambient stuff too and his music has a sort of ambient element to it generally..

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #28 of 80
Once again, Bob, you impress with your knowledge of this label and its artists!

I too like the "electronic jazz" genre, but I haven't gotten very deep into it yet.

I'm a fan of Sylvian as well, and have much of his output. I got into him with Japan when I did a deep dive into 80's music I had missed growing up.

A timeless classic, haha.

Folder (8).jpg

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #30 of 80
It's not often I use the term fascinating to describe music, but that's how I feel about this release.

Impossible to really describe (some genres I've seen this labeled as: techno-tribal, ethnic-fusion, new age, minimalism, ambient) ; I'll only say that there are shades of Dead Can Dance and my favorite track, "The Elephant And The Orchid" has music that "sounds" like an elephant.

Brian Eno co-produced and plays bass on two tracks.

https://ecmreviews.com/2012/01/05/power-spot/

cover_1000.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back