To what extent will you bring your stuff into
Jan 4, 2009 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

z50j

100+ Head-Fier
I was crossing the road when it suddenly rained (yes rained not drizled), I was using my portpros. I instantly covered my head just to avoid them getting wet, then I thought "if I still had my senn's i wouldn't be worying about this."

It got me thinking

How many of you guys care for your hi-fi stuff so much that they (the equipment) cant even leave the room
triportsad.gif

or
How many of you guys bring it even on a beach close to that salt water and dont care if they get wet even if its not water proof
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 22
I have a carrying case now for my gear if I'm going to actually create a decent set-up.

Otherwise, I use IEM's, my sony player, and an umbrella (if raining) and I call it good.

Nylan

EDIT: If we're discussing where I listen to most of my gear, it's at work. So yes, it's in a locked locker until I need it during breaks to drown out the more idiotic coworkers.

Jan 4, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by nylan8301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a carrying case now for my gear if I'm going to actually create a decent set-up.

Otherwise, I use IEM's, my sony player, and an umbrella (if raining) and I call it good.

Nylan

jeez, an umbrela ! just for IEMs ? why not just a jacket ?

I salute you nylan, a dedicated Hi-Fier

Jan 4, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 22
Depends which rig we talk about.
wink.gif

* Portable rig. Goes with my everywhere, and I don't really care if it gets wet, scratched, and such.
* Home rig. Usually stay at home, even if I sometimes bring it with me. Either to visit friends or to a meeting. In that case I package it all up carefully in flight cases, boxes, and such.

Jan 4, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmashta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
doesn't that depend on the value and portability of your gear?

some people are too rich to care about how much their rig costs,
those people btw think money comes from trees, in which case they dont (they come from cotton plants) and spend until they realize they actually owe the bank

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends which rig we talk about.
wink.gif

* Portable rig. Goes with my everywhere, and I don't really care if it gets wet, scratched, and such.
* Home rig. Usually stay at home, even if I sometimes bring it with me. Either to visit friends or to a meeting. In that case I package it all up carefully in flight cases, boxes, and such.

I can tell krmathis is rich but still cares about the value of money and some of his equipment (to bad for your portable rig)

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #10 of 22
My portable gear is essentially disposable. I don't stress too much about it, I only ever plan on it surviving a year or two anyway.

The home rig stays where it is except for meets, where I package it carefully for the trip to and fro. Pelican makes wonderful little boxes for that
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #11 of 22
Not that it's disposable, but my portable rig was intended to provide music on vacation. Sun, sand, saltwater, an occasional mixed drink from whiplash....

The RS-1s go poolside but not in water or direct sun. I use a camera bag for transport.

I have a Swiss Army back pak which fits all my home rig in for meets or family visits.

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridacnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I keep it safe, but if where I'm going is safe, I bring my SR80s and my Zune. No point in having a portable rig if you can't bring it anywhere.

My home rig almost never moves.

you have a good point

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not that it's disposable, but my portable rig was intended to provide music on vacation. Sun, sand, saltwater, an occasional mixed drink from whiplash....

The RS-1s go poolside but not in water or direct sun. I use a camera bag for transport.

I have a Swiss Army back pak which fits all my home rig in for meets or family visits.

are you phones ment for Sun, sand, saltwater, an occasional mixed drink from whiplash....

I'm just saying that players are made durable, but does the manufacturer make earpeices that do such things? no they dont (well maybe some do)

Jan 5, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by z50j /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can tell krmathis is rich but still cares about the value of money and some of his equipment (to bad for your portable rig)

Rich -> Not at all. Even if I have to admit I don't do too bad.
The point is that my portable rig(s) are meant to be used. Not like I intend to break it, but I use it for what its worth and I don't cry if it breaks down. I can afford to by a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back