To upgrade or not...that is the question
Mar 6, 2019 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

CADCAM

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a system set up for headphones in my cellar, it consists of a Keces HA-171 headphone amp, Keces DA-131.1 external DAC an AudioControl old skool EQ and an old Oppo DV-980h HDCD as transport. Was just reading online the DAC came out in 2008 and found most of the equipment is around ten years old! Time is flying!
So my question for all you young-in's is is it worth me to update to newer equipment? Everything works fine and no extraneous noises can be heard by myself but am I missing something?

Mar 7, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 7
I don't even know why you have the DAC. Your Oppo player has a perfectly fine DAC in it. If you want to upgrade anything, you'll probably find better results upgrading your headphones and equalizer if it isn't a digital one. DACs haven't improved significantly since the introduction of oversampling back in the late 80s.

Mar 7, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #3 of 7
I only listen to actual CD's through the Oppo so a digital\software based EQ isn't in the cards for me. I'm a old skool straight 2 channel audio guy who got into headphones a bit.
I have the Beyer DT990 & DT880 Premium (both 600 ohm), HiFiMan HE-400i & AKG K612 any suggestions on a step up from those?
I just got the DT990 in the Limited Edition Black and not only do they look good but I'm really enjoying the sound. Probably the best separation and detail I've experienced on a hp.
thnx for the input

Mar 7, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #4 of 7
I think the only question you need to ask yourself is "Am I happy with my set up?" and it sounds like you are.

Head-fi is primarily a marketing forum so there is peer pressure on the main forum to keep up with the latest gadgets. If you're happy with your set up then that's all that matters, who cares how old it is? My hi-fi set up is over 20 years old and I have no desire to change anything. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It works for me.

Also, there's the chance that if you do upgrade something it may expose weak links in your chain then you may want something else. You could also end up buying something that you don't like if you can't audition it.

There's a lot to be said for being happy with what you got instead of chasing Rainbows IMO.

P.s. I'm also not a young 'un anymore :neutral_face:

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #5 of 7
Headphones are all different and are a personal choice. If you can identify where your present cans could stand some improvement, you could use that info to look for better ones. If you're using an old 10 band EQ from the 70s, upgrading to a nice quarter octave Rane would probably give you better results and those will work with your analogue outputs from the Oppo.

Mar 7, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #6 of 7
Yea, I was wondering if a new DAC would make any difference but it sounds like it wouldn't. I do use an old AudioControl Octave EQ, it works wonderfully and is silent while being adjusted.
My main 2 channel system in my listening room is old skool as well. I vertically bi-amp Monitor Audio speakers with two McCormack amps.
I just was wondering if I could get a significant improvement with an upgrade. I do enjoy the sound as it is now and the Keces is very neutral which I like in an amp.
Headphones are funny, no matter how many you have you always could use another!

Mar 7, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #7 of 7
Amps and players are generally the last place you should look for improvement in sound quality. Modern electronics have pretty much solved all the problems, even on inexpensive gear. The place with the most room for improvements is transducers and room acoustics. If you’re happy with those, you can spen your money on music instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back