to the moderator: time to create a database to test our gadget and headphones on instead of this confusion
Nov 23, 2014 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Sound Eq

Headphoneus Supremus
i think seriously the moderators of this forum should look at having reference songs for us to base our opinions on, 

the moderators should establish a song selection of various qualities and genres and based on those songs we give our opinions

because u simply u can't give your opinion on anything if the test is conducted on songs that have differing mastering and qualities and recordings, even more difficult when people share their reviews and they listen to total different music than a reader of a review, its not enough for us to know if the review someone writes is going to work for us and be credible if I don't have that same song and same artist and quality of recording

I for example have albums that were mastered differently of the same artist and each sounds so different, so we should seriously look into making our reviews more reference based

Nov 23, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 4
not that it's a bad idea in principle, but I'm not sure everybody uses songs to explain differences in sound in reviews(I know I've stopped doing that for some time now).
but you still make a great point that could deserve a post it somewhere. people using songs for review should say what release of the song they used and not just the name of the song. it doesn't cost anything and could avoid some confusion when several very different versions of the song do exist.

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #3 of 4
listening SPL is also important - we hear different frequency balance of the exact same cut, same headphone depending on the average loudness we are listening at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness

and "o'clock" on the volume pot is not a SPL measurement

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 4
if this site does not encourage this idea maybe we should get together and make such a site where things can be test against reference files so that reviews will be more controlled

anyone wants to jump in and start such a project with me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back