To replace or not to replace HD-650 earpads?
Mar 8, 2006 at 7:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

TheSloth

Headphoneus Supremus
I've had my 650's for about a year and the ear cushions are noticeably flattened, meaning that the headphone driver is being pushed closer to my ear, and there is less of an acoustic space around the ear inside the cusion. So the question is, are the pads meant to 'wear in', or are we meant to replace them once they get squished down? Has anyone found any sound differences between firmer pads and squishy ones?

Not exactly life threatening, but I'm still curious...

Mar 25, 2006 at 8:38 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
How do you replace the earpads? Do you use pull them off? Or do you need to use a screwdriver or some sort of wedge them off the headphone?

Nah, they just pull off and the new ones click right in. You'll be reducing the comfort if you're someone who doesn't find them to be comfortable headphone out of the box though - replacing nice soft squisy pads with firmer ones.

Mar 25, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #6 of 19
As long as they are not ripped, and are still in decent condition, I would still use them, but since you said that you have been using them for a year now, then I would replace them with new ones, a very painless procedure!!
600smile.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 10:33 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
I've been wondering if anyone has ever washed their Senn earpads and how do you do it?

That's easy. Soak it for a while in warm water with washing agent while squeezing it several times, then rinse it and thoroughly squeeze the water out. It takes less than half a day for drying.

Mar 25, 2006 at 11:22 AM Post #9 of 19
Where did you buy the earpad ? Mine is getting a bit old too.

Mar 25, 2006 at 12:25 PM Post #10 of 19
Earpads should not need replacing after only a year - it's normal for them to compress over time. The ones on my HD590 are 5 years old, have been used a lot and are still going strong, though they no longer look as pretty, so I'd considered replacing them but then discarded the idea as these cans don't get much use anyway these days.

Mar 25, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
That's easy. Soak it for a while in warm water with washing agent while squeezing it several times, then rinse it and thoroughly squeeze the water out. It takes less than half a day for drying.

I bet they regained some of their volume/size back.

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ

Thanks for the tip JaZZ. They are cleaned and now drying.

I've washed Grado bowls but was afraid to try cleaning the Senn pads, fearing the sponge would lose some of its stiffness and be more prone to weakening and "collapsing".

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #14 of 19
I used to replace mine every year or so, just to have fresh springy foam and you get rid of any critters that might be living in them (Head-Fi meets ya know
icon10.gif
)

I just looked at the Sennheiser store for them and price for a new set is up to $40!!!!!!!!!
They used to be about $25.
Think I'll try washing them.

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #15 of 19
Washing them works very well. It they are not too worn-out, washing maybe better than buying new pads because it takes some time for the pads to soften and adapt to the head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back