to pod or not to pod
Oct 28, 2004 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
should i get an ipod with line out connector, or rio karma in dock with line out to use with a portable amp and grados? i have a mac, and someone was telling me that i can use the rio with my mac via ethernet cable, though it would be more difficult than itunes obviously

the question is, would the sound quality from the rio and ogg vobis be worth the extra hastle and having to mount the rio in the dock in my backpack?

ok, long question, but the rio would be cheaper, and i've been itching to try out ogg vorbis.

Oct 28, 2004 at 7:14 AM Post #2 of 14
Hi,

The headphone out on the Rio works extremely well with an amp. You then have the advantage of being able to use the parametric equaliser. This is probably the only equaliser that actualy works properly. Although an amp will improve the overall sound for uber portability I'd try the Rio without an amp first, since it has a very high output. Mine drives HFI-650's well without an amp, but don't know about the efficiency of Grados.

Regards

John

Oct 28, 2004 at 7:25 AM Post #3 of 14
thanks

grados are quite efficient i hear, so probably won't have a problem

no i just have to work out the bugs of connecting it to my mac.

so far i've found sited to download ogg vorbis and flac for mac, but getting my music onto them and then onto the rio is the part i don't understand yet. help me if you can
rolleyes.gif

Oct 28, 2004 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 14
There aren't very many people who are sorry they got an iPod. I sure am not sorry I have mine. It's a true pleasure to use and the sound quality is excellent. As sleepkyng says, iTunes is great as well.

Oct 28, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 14
One happy, satisfied, enthusiastic user of a 4G iPod 20gb here!

(Setup: iPod 4G --> SiK DIN line-out --> JMT mini-to-mini cable --> JMT portable PIMETA amp --> HD590s).

Good, good stuff. Lots of listening pleasure
600smile.gif

-Chad

Oct 28, 2004 at 7:07 PM Post #7 of 14
yes, i just wanted to consider all options. unless i get some un-freakin beleavable deal with the rio, i'll get an ipodg

so, i'm thinking:

20gb ipod
sik din line - out
super mini moy OR go-vibe
(not sure about phones) i want grados or allesandros, but i would have to buy a second pair for most quiet situations such as the library
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
yes, i just wanted to consider all options. unless i get some un-freakin beleavable deal with the rio, i'll get an ipodg

so, i'm thinking:

20gb ipod
sik din line - out
super mini moy OR go-vibe
(not sure about phones) i want grados or allesandros, but i would have to buy a second pair for most quiet situations such as the library
smily_headphones1.gif

I have the exact set up with a GoVibe and love it! Head phones for home use are the Sen HD595s and for portable on-the-go I just use Sony ear buds straight out the headphone jack

Get the iPod, you won't regret it. I sure don't - even after the new ones were introduced couple of days ago.

Oct 28, 2004 at 9:26 PM Post #10 of 14
good question. yeah, the only time that grados would really work would be at home, because this will be a home system as well. most likely i'll just get a nice pair of closed headphones. reccomendations (used if possible) under $150?

Oct 28, 2004 at 11:28 PM Post #11 of 14
not to pod
cool.gif

Oct 28, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #12 of 14
closed cans for an ipod?

v6 is what i'm rockin,'
portapro 2 ain't closed but are great portables

i'm lookin for a pair of beyer 250-250's (tyson likes them and it seems his choices are close to mine, if i to be so bold)

senn 280's are considered good (never heard em' myself)

Oct 29, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #13 of 14
I still like the ipod mini. I also still use the G1 ipod around the house.

As for cans, get the DT250-250. I have 2 pair, and they get used more than anything else but my Etys.

I do not know how specs compare, but I am under the impression that the ipod has a higher power output than most portable devices. That may not be true anymore. I remember 50 mW output. Is that typical for the new gen of competitors?

gerG

Oct 29, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #14 of 14
I'm still holding off on the iPod. Bought my son a 40B 4G model but I'm not sold....yet. After looking at that M5, I'm thinking it may just be my answer. Rumored out in November so I might be able to hold out a bit longer. Also, it has FLAC support. That's a biggie for me. Nice looking, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back