To make headphones sound as loudspeakers...
Jul 24, 2009 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Gbjerke

1000+ Head-Fier
To get more bass, what about some kind of mini subwoofers that you could stick on your body? kind of like those workout tv shop things but with soundwaves instedad...lol. Prototype this?

Jul 25, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 17
That probably wouldn't work. Low frequencies have large soundwaves. That's why an 18" subwoofer works better than a 40mm driver.

There are other issues, as well. For one, headphones will never use the room as part of the soundstage. I know there's debate over room treatments for speakers, but live performances reflect sound around the inside of the venue. Speakers can do the same, but headphones never will.

Headphones are terrific and produce great sound, however, if you want genuine bass and a realistic soundstage, run speakers.

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #4 of 17
Probably not stick to your body.
But some report quite positively about matching open-back headphones with larger subwoofers though. I have not tried it myself so far, so no first hand experience.

There are more to it than just bass though. Sound stage is another area where headphones have a way to go to match loudspeakers.

Jul 25, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But some report quite positively about matching open-back headphones with larger subwoofers though. I have not tried it myself so far, so no first hand experience.

There are more to it than just bass though. Sound stage is another area where headphones have a way to go to match loudspeakers.

well, I liked it with my ad700s.
(I ran them through my speaker receiver, and just turned all my speakers off, so only the sub was on.)
It sounded (felt
tongue.gif
) a lot better.

Jul 25, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So did you ever use the bass-shakers with the K1000?

Jul 26, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #11 of 17
Aurasound bass shakers seem to do the exact same thing and cost less though you'll need 8 of them to match the substage200 in terms of power ratings. I'm tempted to pair a bass shaker with a K1000.

Edit: My mistake, the Substage200 actually produces sound while the bass shakers produces vibrations only. I shouldn't have skimmed through the substage200 page.

Jul 26, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So did you ever use the bass-shakers with the K1000?

I do not have any.
I remember that bass-shakers were mentioned in a thread some time ago, but not the details.

It is on my to-do list, with many other things...

Jul 26, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #13 of 17
The SUBstage200 goes for $399 msrp, so I'm sure that it can be acquired for less.

It not only adds a nice plus to your headphone listening experience, but it also aids in relief for occasional bouts with constipation
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 26, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #14 of 17
bass shakers are terrible for music, dont go down this road - i have a theater tricked out with them and tuned in...just go get a big sub. plus they dont really respond high enough to cover the pathetic roll off in phones - full range speakers to 80-120, then sub from 80-120 to 15, shakers from 60-20ish (they buzz if you go too low at nice spl)

I am very close to getting rid of all headphones and go back to speakers...just not doing it for me for the amount invested so far...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back