To HD800 or Not?
Jun 27, 2009 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

DannyB

500+ Head-Fier
I am wondering if I should consider purchasing a HD800. Since I already have a HP2i along with a K1K and HD650, would the HD800 be enough of a difference to include in my family of cans?

Jun 27, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 26
This might be a pointless response, but you should really try them and see.The best way is always to go to a meet and hear them for yourself. Also, they're available with returns from tons of stores so you can always go that route if there aren't any meets in your area.

Jun 28, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 26
The 800's sound nothing like the K1K's, 650's and HP1000's.

If you can afford it, and want an even more diverse dramatically different headphone to add to your stable, buy these.

They are top tier and belong in any audiophile's stash.

Jun 28, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #4 of 26
Yes. The HD-800 is very different from the K-1000, HP-2 and HD-650. I used to have a HD-650, but sold it to help offset the cost of the HD-800. I think it was a good tradeoff. The price is awfully stiff, but we're probably not going to get another top-tier headphone for several years. It's different enough to justify having - the HD-800 is superb. The plan is to stick with the HD-800, K-1000 and HP-2 as the mainstays of my headphone listening. I'll probably pick up an Omega2 pretty soon to round things out with a 'stat. I think that will (hopefully) be a good stopping point for the headphone collection. It'd give me four different flavors of the best. I'll probably only keep a few others around besides those.

Get yourself to a meet or a member's house for a listen to the HD-800. I was deeply skeptical until I heard one and then switched up with a HD-650 at CanJam. I realized how good it was and that planted the idea that I should sell off a few cans and get the HD-800. I was uncertain, but no regrets now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. The HD-800 is very different from the K-1000, HP-2 and HD-650. I used to have a HD-650, but sold it to help offset the cost of the HD-800. I think it was a good tradeoff. The price is awfully stiff, but we're probably not going to get another top-tier headphone for several years. It's different enough to justify having - the HD-800 is superb. The plan is to stick with the HD-800, K-1000 and HP-2 as the mainstays of my headphone listening. I'll probably pick up an Omega2 pretty soon to round things out with a 'stat. I think that will (hopefully) be a good stopping point for the headphone collection. It'd give me four different flavors of the best. I'll probably only keep a few others around besides those.

What, no R10 on your horizon?
atsmile.gif
After hearing Blubliss', they're on my wish list.

Jun 28, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't count out the forthcoming Ultrasone Edition 8 just yet either.

I'm about a million times more interested in the Audeze and Head-Direct orthos. Don't think I'm alone on that one.

Jun 28, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #10 of 26
The price of the HD800 is stiff, but the prices of all the other super-high-end (discontinued) headphones to which it is comparable, are much, much higher. I'd almost go so far as to say that the HD800 is a bargain, that gets you to an incredibly high level of headphone performance, for a lower cost than any other option (if not undercut by the JH13).

Jun 28, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #11 of 26
Sure, why not? Since it is a natural upgrade from your HD650...

Jun 28, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The price of the HD800 is stiff, but the prices of all the other super-high-end (discontinued) headphones to which it is comparable, are much, much higher. I'd almost go so far as to say that the HD800 is a bargain, that gets you to an incredibly high level of headphone performance, for a lower cost than any other option (if not undercut by the JH13).

100% agree. I just don't understand all the complaints about price, when the only other headphones in the same price range that perform on the top level is the K1000 and Edition 9(which some may argue don't quite reach that level of performance). I can't think of one sub-$1000 headphone that can be considered top tier.

To the OP, I thought that the K1000 and HD800 would be to similar. I was completely wrong. They sound amazingly different yet with plenty technical similarities. The K1000 is brighter and the HD800 is smoother, they compliment each other really well. The only caveat is that neither one of them are home run hitters in the bass area, but you have the HP2i for that. In regards to the HD650, I don't think you will use them much once the HD800 arrive.
biggrin.gif

Also, have you considered the PS1000?

Jun 28, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In regards to the HD650, I don't think you will use them much once the HD800 arrive.
biggrin.gif

Agreed. The HD650 is good, but once you have an HD800 in the house, there simply is no use for it anymore. Which is why I sold my HD650. The HD800 is better in every conceivable manner.

Jun 29, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K1000 is brighter and the HD800 is smoother, they compliment each other really well.

Smooth in the meaning of this creamy, florid, laid-back Sennheiser house sound?
Does the HD 800 sound like a high-pitched HD 650 then?
So, can you say the HD 800 is more emotional, the K 1000 more analytical?
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back