To date, what's the most "important" material thing you've purchased?
Jun 24, 2007 at 10:18 AM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalManCPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A $100 Texas Instruments calcualtor with green LED that only did add/subtract/multiply/divide
My 1st mechanical pencil

question: is everyone on headfi such an incredible geek? ................. i should have realized this long ago
cool.gif
the dude above with his ochem and physics books............sheesh, we need an "un-geek headfi" thread
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 10:24 AM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ lol

Lol, box.

what, did you think condoms only came in individually wrapped packages from vending machines in bathrooms?
wink.gif

and i change my mind, it would have to be my first pair of rock climbing shoes; yosemite, joshua tree, the needles in the sierras, nothing better, well maybe almost nothing, see above
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 12:01 PM Post #34 of 43
My HP 17BII financial calculator when I was getting my MBA.

Microsoft Office, which got me started on Excel. Although I am no Excel "power user," my skills with the application have definitely garnered me respect at my various workplaces.

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #36 of 43
1976 – My first real Stereo a Marantz Receiver with a Dual turntable (Shure cartridge) and Advent speakers.

It started me down the primrose path that has influenced all of my life choices.

Jun 25, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #37 of 43
Computer, followed by video game systems, and recently, a cell phone.

1) Without ever having owned a computer, my life would be very different right now.

2) Video games are my main hobby and passtime, so I would need a major readjustment if I did not have video games.

3) I have found my cell phone to be incredibly useful, and I have been partaking in many more social activities since I got one.

Jun 25, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #38 of 43
First PC, ca 1994 or so. I discovered the online world, just as the WWW was starting up.

Digital SLR and photo printer - After years of film shooting, and hours in the darkroom, I was finally able to experiment to my hearts content. I love having control from start to finish, and digital allows me to attempt photos I would never would have tried with film. For someone who had been shooting film since 1963 or so, this was a huge paradigm shift.

Ipod - being able to carry my music collection with me, wherever I go, is an amazing thing.

Cell phone - handy little gadget, but they've become so pervasive that they have turned into giant hassle. So fed up with idiots that can barely drive their car, because they have a cell phone jammed in their ear. I have a better spot for that phone...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my sax:

prideandjoy.jpg

it's brought me unparalleled joy over the past many years, and hopefully many more to come

FINE tenor you have there. What model? Anything I've played that's Selmer Paris has sounded fanstastic. The best sax I've ever played was a Mark VI that my school owns, in fact. But I love the black laquer on that sax. It's a really excellent finish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably my first computer, XT (8088) a screaming 8mhz with the turbo switch
eggosmile.gif
I used to tare it apart and figure out what was what, it's how I learned to build and repair computers.

Oh man! I totally forgot about Turbo switches! The first computer we had that had one was an old Pentium (it was one of the first pentiums built, read as "6x86" in the BIOS LOL!!) that was our third computer. This computer did change our lives forever, though. Going from 4x86 with 3.1 to a Pentium with 95 was just incredible. We couldn't believe how much better DOOM, Descent, and Flight Simluator ran.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #40 of 43
^ Selmer Paris Serie III. I love the tone the laqoer gives to it. much more solemn and dark with a concert mouthpiece. but the sound it has a berg larson piece is great for jazz.

I had the opportunity to buy a Mark VI from the same person as the Serie III. he had quite a few excellent saxes up for sale. however, i liked the darker tone and the feel and the look of the Serie III a little bit more.

Jun 25, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #41 of 43
My Apple ][e was huge. HUGE. really really HUGE.

Let's see, after that, my Epiphone acoustic/electric Dread that got stolen. had that thing during my "formative" years - and that's not just playin' i'm talking about!

the latest is probably (don't shoot me) the iPod my wife got me. i think you all know why.

Jun 25, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #42 of 43
I think it was my first self-purchased slrcamera the Nikon F80 with autofocus. I could finally make sharp pictures haha!
In the beginning I worked with fully manual cameras and since my eyes are not that great and I am too lazy to go out and buy glasses or contactlenses this was a purchase that changed the world for me and from that point on I was able to purchase even more and expensive cameras because....
Two months after I bought that camera i bought a Nikon 80-200 2,8 wich both got stolen 3 weeks after that purchase. Not insured but the insurance company gave back all the money so I was able to step up.
For me those 2 things made a huge difference in my life and work.

I think the aprox date of purchase was around 2002.

Jun 25, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #43 of 43
Graphing Calculator - Made it so I actually understood math, and eventually I was able to kick everyone else's mathmatecal arse at two or three years younger than them. Hopefully it will help me get into a good college.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back