To buy or not to buy
Aug 26, 2009 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Sjakoo

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow Headfiers,

After returning from a long trip this summer I have been reading into electronics again. First i wanted to upgrade the speakers I currently have but then came to the conclusion I much rather wanted a good headphone as this offers me so much more than a good set of speakers(To use with laptop, cd player, movies etc.).

As I know not a whole lot about them and only own a px100(which doesn´t have a 6.3mm output to fit my amp) to go with my iPod/laptop i could use some advice though. I´ve come across a very very good deal on an AKG K702 and was thinking this could be a good reference point to start with? I have read that it needs a headphone amp and I plan on buying one when my finances allow me to.

What should i do?

Btw i mainly listen to rock, instrumental, indie and sometimes hardcore

Aug 26, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #3 of 17
The AKG is normally not recommended for rock, but if you get a good deal it's a low risk thing because as 1Time says, you can either return it (if it is a shop with the 30 day return possibility) or resell it for not much, if any, loss.

Aug 26, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #4 of 17
Yeah that sounds like a good idea. I noticed how a lot of people sell on their headphones after a while and move on.
But could you tell me which ones are more recommend for genres like rock then?

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #8 of 17
For rock you cant go past a good pair of ultrasones
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #9 of 17
Well to be honest not that much. But the K702´s I´ve found are such a steal at $300 if you translate that to european currency(around 200 euro´s). This is what tempts me to overstretch my budget for now.

But overall i´d say a budget of about $200?

I will go to a store nearby to test some of those grado´s out next week though

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sjakoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the K702´s I´ve found are such a steal at $300 if you translate that to european currency(around 200 euro´s).

I'm not familiar with the going rate for headphones in Europe... but $300 isn't a steal for those phones here in the States.

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #12 of 17
Holy bujeez! Okay, well, if that's the case, then maybe you might want to jump on them.

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sjakoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah that sounds like a good idea. I noticed how a lot of people sell on their headphones after a while and move on.
But could you tell me which ones are more recommend for genres like rock then?

Grado 225i and/or Denon AH-D2000 and/or Ultrasone 750Pro. : )

But I enjoyed the K701 with rock, too.

Aug 26, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #14 of 17
Did you use a headphone amp when listening with your k701 or is it bearable without one too?

Right now I would use it through my Rotel RA1060 but I dont know about the quality of the 6.3mm output.

Aug 26, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #15 of 17
The 702 is an excellent pair of headphones, but unfortunately you might not like how they sound with the kind of music that you listen to.

I bought a pair of 702 a month ago, and I have about 150+ hours on them now. I really enjoy listening to them with female vocals, acoustic and pop, but with metal and hardcore, IMHO they won't sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back