to buy a new portable or not...
Aug 16, 2001 at 6:06 PM Post #16 of 17
redshifter - your portable setup must be excellent. And I can believe your audiophile portable experience. Check out this article. Just remember who did all the tests....Dolby.....
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2001 at 6:52 PM Post #17 of 17
coolvij,
yeah, i read that article a while ago. i have a problem with dolby s. while it is a good compander and doesn't alter the signal as much as dolby b or c, it introduces dynamic compression. this is mainly why people like the sound better in the article. when you're in your car the ambient noise of the road can drown out quite passages. make those passages louder and suddenly it sounds "better". bull. dynamic range is far more important. it is what makes the drums pop and the power chords powerful. the metal tapes and the walkman electronics are quiet enough to not need dolby, and i rarely let the recording level go above 0 db. many folks will tell you metal tapes are okay to record up to +4 db or more, but if your music has deep bass notes (like say the beastie boys) i found anything above 0 db creates distortion. anyway, even at these low levels i almost never notice any noise.

beni,
i'm really looking forward to my first high resolution digital portable, whatever the format. i just wish they would hurry. i've got some decent sounding mp3s on my computer (that are 320 kbp/s), but even the high bitrate ones i think suffer from grainy bass & treble. i'll admit i'm more sensative to digital artifacting than most, because i test digital multimedia software all day my ears are really trained to catch flaws. this is also probably why i like my analog rig so much. get a decent turntable off of ebay sometime, take the time to set it up correctly, get a good cartridge, and get an amazingly produced album such as stereolab's "first of the microbe hunters" (the british import was pressed at 45 rpm instead of 33, with astounding results). you may never listen to another mp3 again.
biggrin.gif

the dd9
wm-dd9.jpg

comes with a case and has no plastic parts (except for the dolby switches and the 5mm thick acrylic window). the body is 2mm aluminum. besides the d3 & d6c its the best walkman i've seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back