to buy a new portable or not...
Aug 6, 2001 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

audio_wannabe

New Head-Fier
Ok, Ive been hearing good things from you guys about the Panasonic CT470 and im really considering getting one. However right now I have a sony D-fj61. If I got the panasonic would it actually be a step down? Im going to get a pair of grado cans, either the sr60s or the 80s. Im totally new to the audiophile world and would really appreciate some help here. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

btw I dont have an amp right now and no cash to get one, I know that makes a HUGE difference.

Aug 6, 2001 at 8:06 AM Post #2 of 17
i've been using the Panasonic CT570 and its a decent sounding player. it has 10 sec linear anti-shock that doesn't degrade the sound quality unlike the 40 anti-shock the 470 has. As far as which of the two sounds better assuming both have the anti-shock off its a toss up. Some prefer the 470 others the 570 but at least the 570 with its linear anti-shock you don't have to lose sound quality.

You can get the 570 Here

i'm eagerly waiting to see if Headroom comes out with a no holds barred portable CD player because the even the best portables i see now days are a bit lacking in most catagories and seem to be made for only short term usage.

Aug 7, 2001 at 3:13 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by squirt
i'm eagerly waiting to see if Headroom comes out with a no holds barred portable CD player because the even the best portables i see now days are a bit lacking in most catagories and seem to be made for only short term usage.

OMG, Headroom, please do it! I would gladly buy it in a second unless it looks like a complete piece of trash!

Aug 7, 2001 at 3:41 AM Post #4 of 17
Yeah, that would be cool.

But honestly, there's no way a small company such as Headroom is gonna build a portable CD player... if they did they would have to charge 2k$ a piece or so.

Aug 7, 2001 at 4:02 AM Post #5 of 17
I agree it would be a difficult undertaking but Headroom has (had) plans on developing a portable CD player in the $1000 price range which is obviously on the high side but if their amps are any indicator they would make a first class CD player like no other, well worth the price...

Aug 7, 2001 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 17
Make it two! One can never know
wink.gif

Honestly, I don't think I would be very happy about an Orpheus right now. It's very hot right now and my computer keeps heating up the room even more.
With an Orpheus in this room, the paint would probably peel off the walls...
biggrin.gif

Bye

Redwoood

Aug 16, 2001 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 17
if you are really interested in an audiophile portable, check ebay for the sony wm dd9. yes, it is a tape walkman. it has dolby b & c, a home tape deck type head, and two quartz locked direct drive motors for the auto-reverse. i was lucky enough to find one for $50 on ebay. when they came out in 1995 they were the equivalent of $500 in japanese yen.

another portable that is still available is the sony wm d3. it is a "pro" tape walkman that records. great sound and a solid amp. i got one refurbished for $150 last year.

the point here is go analog. get a nice turntable and a good tape deck, some good metal tapes and make some recordings. with good phones the results are worth it, and gets close to that portable audiophile experience (until a decent portable dvda or sacd discman comes out).

Aug 16, 2001 at 1:07 AM Post #10 of 17
hey...I saw a sony portable DAT player/recorder for sale the other day. Only $1000.
smily_headphones1.gif

One thing I'm curious about, though...with that tape walkman, presumably you'd be recording CDs onto tapes anyway, so then what's the point of using an analog device? You get the disadvantages of digital sound (finite sampling rate) without the advantages (exceedingly durable media).

Aug 16, 2001 at 1:36 AM Post #11 of 17
actually, many ppl use DAT for live recording...where the next best thing (MD) is "considerably worse" - mics prolly make a bigger difference.......but some ppl just have to have the best.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2001 at 1:54 AM Post #12 of 17
a portable CD player, a DAC, and an RA-1? How big you that be?
biggrin.gif
I mean, compared to a one-piece portable player...

besides, the Headroom PCDP might even beat that. they're not idiots over there, they certainly know what they're doing. If they do this, they'll do it right.

Aug 16, 2001 at 2:06 AM Post #13 of 17
Did you see Kevin's 'hand-luggage'?
I'm not sure if you can shoot down the plain with that amp (andI wouldn't wanna try) but you can certainly get a hernia carrying his rig
wink.gif

Quote:

besides, the Headroom PCDP might even beat that. they're not idiots over there, they certainly know what they're doing. If they do this, they'll do it right.

Sure, the headroom guys know what they are doing.
And I'm sure there would be no compromises (soundwise) if they built an PCDP. But then I can hardly see how they could fit all into a small case. So I guess size and weight will be a problem there too.

(And I didn't mean it very seriously anyway
wink.gif
)

Bye

Redwoood

Aug 16, 2001 at 4:54 AM Post #14 of 17
beni
actually i tape from vinyl on a good turntable. i like to preserve the analog signal as much as possible, thus the audiophile walkman. i use only metal tapes and no dolby. as far as taping cds, you get the benefits of the better dacs in your home cdp, plus the added built in amp power and better electronics of these high end walkmans.

Aug 16, 2001 at 7:00 AM Post #15 of 17
Oh...I totally ignored the part about the turntable. I think someday I'll have to buy one and find out what this whole LP thing is about. Or maybe SACD/DVD-A will be good enough that I won't need to. Hopefully so.
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess I just don't see the point in going that far to have audiophile-quality sound on the road. My mp3 player works fine for me, or I'll tote along all of my CDs if I'm going on a trip..but that's really only because I haven't encoded all of them to put on my archos yet. But, to each his own. Goodness knows that the audiophile world is the last place to argue what is and isn't worth doing for better sound.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back