To amp + ER4S, or not to amp + ER4P? That's this newbie's question...
Dec 6, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Horacio
ER-4S with a less expensive amp

Dont underestimate the Go-Vibe, you will not regret the $69 investment.

Dec 6, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #17 of 25
Horacio said:
Hey guys.

I'm new in head-fi and want to put together a good portable rig, so I've been reading a number of threads at Head-Fi (pretty good info, BTW).

I'll be using my setup for travel (airplanes, hotels, etc): iPod 5G, and if going with an amp will have a pocketdock
What do you think? Do you believe the improvement in sound quality would be worth the extra $450 to your ears?
QUOTE]

Personally for that money, I get the UE-5s. You wont need an amp, you will get same performance without an amp. 5th Ipod is a good source. Some like myself don't find any gain with an amp. OK very small difference. But you will get bass the ER4-P or ER4S won’t give you. Plus you don't have to carry an amp with you everywhere. I leave my SMv3 at work. There are other reasons like the fit being better. Just an idea. ER4-S are good as well, but UE-5 pretty sure you are going to like better. But again is alittle more money and not sure you have it.

Dec 6, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #18 of 25
One thing you may or may not be aware of.

The Xin SuperMacro amp has a impedance switch which boosts the 4P to be the same impedance as the 4S. That will mean you can buy the 4P and get the same effect as using the Ety 4P-4S converter cable with that amp. With the switch ON, your ER4P will sound exactly like ER4S

Second
The Hornet is on sale right now
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=150199

DSC_0006.jpg

edit: You could definite go for some UE-5's instead as posted above, but an amp is just a useful thing to have so it's not money wasted. You could use the amp with a good computer soundcard or even your home stereo and get noticeably better sound than your standard headphone out.

The one thing about the ER4 is that they are lean sounding headphones, so if you think that might be a problem, the UE-5 idea isn't a bad idea. With the bass boost of the SuperMacro amp (not the Micro), you can neatly bypass that issue.

However, the UE-5's are NOT direct substitutes for the ER4...the highs *may* sound somewhat muted in comparison to the extended treble of the ER4S.

Dec 6, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #19 of 25
To clarify:
The Xin SuperMACRO-3 has front panel switches for the additional impedance, bass boost and other functions.
The Xin SuperMINI-3 has internal jumpers to switch in the additional features
The Xin SuperMICRO-3 requires an external impedance cable or plug if you want ER4-S sound from a ER4-P.

Dec 6, 2005 at 6:37 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Horacio
Wow guys!

Lots of good points of view. Also some contradicting POVs, which is by no means a surprise. It looks like I've successfully expanded my options rather than narrowing them down:

1) Get ER-4P, get used to them, and later get an amp and P>S converter and judge for myself if it's worth the extra expense. The smartest move...I'm wondering if I'm this smart, though...I'm kind of feeling the urge to get to the end game as I will be out travelling for a few months, so I'll be stuck for a while with whatever I decide now.

2) Get ER-4S with a less expensive amp: Hornet (how much are they? not listed at RSA), LaRocco Reference 2 (their website says it will be available soon...anybody knows if they are available / at what price?), Xin SuperMicro-3

3) Get ER-4S + SR-71

Decissions, decissions...I guess I need to go do some soul searching. I love it!

Thanks again!
Horacio

Well the LaRocco is not really less expensive than the SR-71, in fact it retails at $510. I only reason I mentioned it was that you seemed to have that urge to get to the end game as you mentioned. I too have that same method of working and I thought that I should suggest the amp which is probably the most expensive portable amp available and by some reports also the best. Some have said that the level of refinement approaches some home amps.

In your situation you probably should not start at the absolute most expensive as you won't appreciate what you have as much, nor should you start too low but find a good middle ground.

I think powering the ER-4S with a good amp is probably that point for you. Start with either the Go-Vibe that is often recommended here or something like the Xin Supermini. You can always sell it later when you want an SR-71 or Pocket Reference.

Dec 6, 2005 at 6:40 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
One thing you may or may not be aware of.

The Xin SuperMacro amp has a impedance switch which boosts the 4P to be the same impedance as the 4S. That will mean you can buy the 4P and get the same effect as using the Ety 4P-4S converter cable with that amp. With the switch ON, your ER4P will sound exactly like ER4S

Second
The Hornet is on sale right now
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=150199

DSC_0006.jpg

edit: You could definite go for some UE-5's instead as posted above, but an amp is just a useful thing to have so it's not money wasted. You could use the amp with a good computer soundcard or even your home stereo and get noticeably better sound than your standard headphone out.

The one thing about the ER4 is that they are lean sounding headphones, so if you think that might be a problem, the UE-5 idea isn't a bad idea. With the bass boost of the SuperMacro amp (not the Micro), you can neatly bypass that issue.

However, the UE-5's are NOT direct substitutes for the ER4...the highs *may* sound somewhat muted in comparison to the extended treble of the ER4S.

The new Supermini also has the impedance "switch" now. Switch in quotes because it is actually an internal jumper. It adds the same 75ohms the P->S cable does.

Dec 6, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #22 of 25
How big is a difference between er4p unamped and er4s amped? I'm asking for some details... A month ago I ordered the supermini (still waiting
frown.gif
) and I've been wondering whether there will be any noticeable improvement...

Thx

Dec 7, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #23 of 25
It depends a lot on the amp and a lot on the source. You will hear a difference, but do not discount the 4P unamped as inferior. An amp can only do so much with a less than ideal source (i.e. garbage in, garbage out). Also, it depends on what you are looking for with the amp and S adapter.

Dec 12, 2005 at 7:12 AM Post #24 of 25
I think you guys have me convinced as well. I think I'll get my self a P->S adapter and the RSA Hornet. That way I'll have the best of both worlds: ER-4P when maximum portability required and ER-4"S" + Hornet when I want maximum sound quality. My source is acceptable: 4G 40GB iPod (320kbps .mp3) and with a decent interconnect, line-out (Sendstation Pocketdock USB/FW) and a good amp (RSA Hornet), I'm hoping that the soundstage will be a bit wider, bass will extend further and the general quality (I know it's vague) will increase.

Dec 12, 2005 at 9:36 AM Post #25 of 25
I liked the sound of the 4S, but prefer the cable of the 4P. The chord after the 'Y' split on the 4P is shorter as I recall and braided - less microphonics and doesn't get in the way as much. The P->S cable however can be somewhat annoying, as it creates a wierd kink at the point where you plug in to connect the two (because of the phones' right-angle plug).

One of Xin's amps with the impedance switch obviates the need for the P->S cable, and the bass boost feature is nice. Ray's Hornet has real muscular bass as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back