To amp + ER4S, or not to amp + ER4P? That's this newbie's question...
Dec 4, 2005 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Horacio

New Head-Fier
Hey guys.

I'm new in head-fi and want to put together a good portable rig, so I've been reading a number of threads at Head-Fi (pretty good info, BTW).

I'll be using my setup for travel (airplanes, hotels, etc): iPod 5G, and if going with an amp will have a pocketdock for the line out, probably a Cardas cable, SR-71 amp, and ER-4S. I could otherwise avoid the amp altogether and use instead the ER-4P.

What do you think? Do you believe the improvement in sound quality would be worth the extra $450 to your ears?

Thank you guys in advance!
Horacio

PS: I know I should try the two setups on me and see if the difference is worth the money to me with my ears, but travel keeps me away for long periods so I want to take the first stab based on your point of view.

Dec 4, 2005 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 25
For me it's absolutely worth it. I started with the unamped ER-4P, and worked my way up to SR-71 amped 4S, and I don't regret the extra expense of the amped system at all.
  1. I like the 4S much more than the 4P
  2. I like the 4S amped much more than I like it unamped (though it is still great unamped)
  3. I like it amped with an SR-71 better than with any other portable amp (runners-up for me were Headroom Micro/DM and Pimeta/8620/2xbuffers; there were several other very good amps that I also liked, but none that, to my ears, beat those three at their respective price points)

Dec 5, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #3 of 25
ER-4, either S or P sounds better with an amp. The bass is stronger and more solid.

My portable set up is:
Gen 3 iPod, Sendstation pocket dock, Cardas HPI mini cable, RSA Hornet, Ety ER-4P.

When I use the ETY's with the home system (Cary 303/200. Bottlehead SEX amp) I use my P to S adapter. Best of both worlds.

Dec 5, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #5 of 25
Thank you guys.

Todd R: do the ER-4P (ie; ER-4SS + S-to-P adapter) + amp sound better than ER-4S + amp, then? Otherwise, it seems I should take a big breath and get the ER-4S + SR-71.

Horacio

Dec 5, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 25
An ER4S with an amp is absolutely worth it. However, I'd suggest going with a Xin SuperMacro amp so you have an option of the bass boost switch for because the ER4's can sound a bit weak on bass even with an amp.

If you are considering the SR71, which not also consider the Hornet as it's quite a bit smaller and will travel better with the ER4's

Dec 5, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Horacio
Thank you guys.

Todd R: do the ER-4P (ie; ER-4SS + S-to-P adapter) + amp sound better than ER-4S + amp, then? Otherwise, it seems I should take a big breath and get the ER-4S + SR-71.

Horacio

If you mean ER-4P + P->S adapter then it is identical to the ER-4S. You can use the ER-4S straight out of an iPod but it won't go as loud. However I prefer the ER-4S to the ER-4P regardless of whether it is being driven by an iPod or an amp. For flexibility, however, I would get the ER-4P and P->S cable just in case you want to compare the two yourself and your preferences are different from mine. It will add about $50 to your bill though to do it that way.

A good amp really makes a difference. You might want to start with something cheaper though. I've been happy with a Xin Supermini actually and it cost me only $150 (it was on sale at the time and might be again this Christmas). I can't imagine it getting much better for on the go use and convenience at that price. If you can swing it, order both the Supermini and the SR-71 as both are returnable. Also consider the LaRocco Pocket Reference if you just want to compare the best portable amps and make your selection among them.

Dec 5, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #8 of 25
double post

Dec 5, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #9 of 25
Might I sugges that you buy the 4-P and the S adapter cable, and use these for some time with the iPod to get your ears used to the sound with and without the cable? Once you become familiar with the Ety sounds (with and without), then you can decide if an amp is worth the extra $. In very general terms an amp is better than no amp, but $450 better is something only you and your budget can decide.

I have had Ety 4's and 6's for several years and find them great for portable use with any of my sources.
etysmile.gif
Yes, they benefit from having an amp, but they also do yeoman's duty straight out of budget sources as well. I do not belive I can say the same for my new HD 600's. They are quite power hungry.
600smile.gif

Unless you have an ulimited budget, might I suggest that you try and pace yourself so you can make reasonably informed decisions (based upon your own experiences) as you upgrade? Other opinions can be a good source of information, but it is best if you can make any final decisions based on your own impressions. Knowing the Ety's very well will help you better evaluate an amp or other future sources. Have fun!

Dec 5, 2005 at 10:47 PM Post #11 of 25
I've completely enjoyed my Xin Supermacro with P/S. Besides the quality, as others note, the bass boost switch is very nice with Etey's running in S mode (I think P mode is like mid-fi, while S is true hi-fi). Also, while sometimes acting like an absent-minded professor, Xin always comes through and is a pleasure to deal with.

Dec 5, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #12 of 25
Another vote for ER4S + amp

I started with ER4P unamped, and then purchased the P->S cable. Now I have a dedicated pair of ER4S IEM’s that are devoted to everyday rig. They sound wonderful with my Headroom Micro DM as well as my Go-Vibe (OPA2227 is my favorite op-amp with them).

I keep the ER4P for my "minimalist" rig

Dec 5, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #13 of 25
I feel the the Etymotic Research ER•4P MicroPro monitors do not improve appreciably with a headphone amplifier and prefer to use the ER4P monitors without a dedicated headphone amplifier. The ER4S monitors (or ER4P using ER4P-24 cable) do significantly benefit from the usage an amplifier and I recommend the usage of an amplifier. Although not necessarily applicable in your situation, the ER4P with the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite is hardly a rewarding partnership.

Best,
iDesign

Dec 6, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #14 of 25
I have an ER4-p that I use with a Xin SuperMacro-3 amp. The amp has a switch that adds impedance, which effectively turns the phones into an Er4-s

The SuperMini-3 also has switchable impedance, but I don't own one.

When I use a Xin SuperMicro-3, I add a small adapter that adds the impedance.

So, an Er4-p gives you lots of flexibility... use it unamped... or make it shine with an amp and extra impedance.

Dec 6, 2005 at 2:21 AM Post #15 of 25
Wow guys!

Lots of good points of view. Also some contradicting POVs, which is by no means a surprise. It looks like I've successfully expanded my options rather than narrowing them down:

1) Get ER-4P, get used to them, and later get an amp and P>S converter and judge for myself if it's worth the extra expense. The smartest move...I'm wondering if I'm this smart, though...I'm kind of feeling the urge to get to the end game as I will be out travelling for a few months, so I'll be stuck for a while with whatever I decide now.

2) Get ER-4S with a less expensive amp: Hornet (how much are they? not listed at RSA), LaRocco Reference 2 (their website says it will be available soon...anybody knows if they are available / at what price?), Xin SuperMicro-3

3) Get ER-4S + SR-71

Decissions, decissions...I guess I need to go do some soul searching. I love it!

Thanks again!
Horacio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back