To all who own iPods - what's the allure?
Apr 25, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #106 of 220
MoSXS, before I put you into my ignore list...

How long does it take to a specific artist in ipod WITH A LARGE ARTIST collection? 100 artists lol, I have around 1000...even more if I put obscure artists on. And I still have 5GB free. If I were to scroll with 100 artists I can do that in a few seconds too.

Navigating with brothers DAP (index) is a right pain, that accelerates longer you hold it, but still annoying with hundreds of artists clogging up main.

To choose specific album... up/down, right click, up/down, right click, up/down, right click. Click (plays 1st track)

ipoo needs a dongle for line out..great idea- why not line out jack on the unit itself? Why should you have to use dock or dongle?

And to add music from PC HD to DAP..CTRL R, CTRL V. Disconnect. Done. No chance of the infamous ipod wiping syndrome. lol.

As for decoding ipod versus everyone else....how on earth do you know the decoding method? Are you a Apple programmer?
rolleyes.gif
until you can explain (or make BS) up about the differences is, then digital out is superior to line output. Since you can bypass the cheap as chips DAC's in a DAP and use Hi-Fi gear (and pre-amps)

ipoo looks cheap and nasty...although if both iriver/ipoo is iskin then doesn't really matter.

oh and OGG sounds better than MP3.

Apr 25, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #107 of 220
some good answers there mosxs
smily_headphones1.gif

but anyway you two need to stop arguing

i got my ipod to get the girlies

no jk i actually got it for many people hate it interface and ease of use with itunes

and it just looks damn good

Apr 25, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #108 of 220
Wow I cant believe that dude spent that much effort to make his point!!

I'm not a huge fan of iPods either, infact I'm sticking with my CDP until a proper DAP shows up. One thing I do like about the iPod is the build quality of the iPod Mini. I hope they adapt that design on other higher gig iPods too. Other than that, I wouldnt consider one.
tongue.gif

Apr 25, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #109 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necros
And to add music from PC HD to DAP..CTRL R, CTRL V. Disconnect. Done.

To add music to iTunes (and subsequently iPod automatically)...drag. Disconnect. Done.
Automatically appears in my "New Additions" smart playlist, as well as the artist/song/album library. It's not like it's *that* much harder to do...
*shrug* To each his own. The arguing is pointless...this topic is about why iPod users like their iPods. Not why it sucks/rules or anything.

Apr 25, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #110 of 220
i read the reviews and was basically sold on the zen micro. i wanted a black one.

i went to best buy and held the zen micro. hmmm. small... to small. feels cheap. plasticy.

then i held the ipod. damn. this thing is hot. that zen feels like a toy compared to this. i left wihout buying either one.

then my girl got an ipod the next week and i couldn't put it down. click wheel. shiney chrome. slim profile. good sound quality to me. 3 days later i ordered my own 30gb photo. and i love it.

Apr 25, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #111 of 220
even though i wont mind getting an ipod (or one of the many variants), there's one thing that will never get past me about an ipod: the friggin battery
i travel a lot with my family, especially summer months, and these non-removable batteries piss me off. in the middle of somewhere, for example, your battery dies out, you may have to wait until you get back to your hotel to recharge it
compare that with a dap that features a standard, aa or aaa battery, where you can pick up at any store that deserves to be called a convieniece store
i would sure love it if you "gave" me an ipod, but buying it.........no.

Apr 25, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #112 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoSXS
Now, even more people proving my point... Simple as that
smily_headphones1.gif

lol i didn't bother reading your post, but just scrolling through it and seeing how long it was made me LMAO. i think only a fanboy would go through that much trouble

mr iriver's seems to be the same.

go dish it out! 1 on 1! i'd love to see that lol

companies love guys like you... they get minions to promote their stuff and their ideas without having to pay you a dime.

but getting back on topic, i agree w/ azncookiecutter. i think the ipod was cool, really wanted one, but i could never justify myself ever buying one. it didn't do enough for me... then i went from not liking the zen micro to strangely falling in love with it... and that's where my money went.

Apr 25, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #113 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by dynamius
lol i didn't bother reading your post, but just scrolling through it and seeing how long it was made me LMAO. i think only a fanboy would go through that much trouble

mr iriver's seems to be the same.

go dish it out! 1 on 1! i'd love to see that lol

Who wants to make a thread for them?

Apr 25, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #114 of 220
Yeah, that 6 hour (I don't care What apple says its friggin 6 hours!!!) battery on my 3rd gen was pissing me off.
...then I accidentally left it on a bus, and never saw it again. Luckily I had some money saved up already for some RAM but a DAP took precedence over it. I looked at iPod alternatives but was really, really sold on "The iPod way™" that I had to look for one. But since I had a second chance, I looked at it carefully. What was wrong with the one I had?
-Battery Life

What could I trade off for it? Luckily, Newer Technology released their 2100 mAh battery for 1st and 2nd gen iPods. 20 hour battery, with users reporting up to 24 hours of continuous playback, for only $40. That got me excited. With that in mind, I began to consider, how much space did I need? I have 450 songs, roughly 1.6 gigs or so. I don't need 10 GBs, I don't think I ever will. So 10 GB or less, 1st or 2nd gen iPod.
The final thing I considered was: the oldschoolness of the 1st gen iPod. We're talking an iPod from 2001. I don't know about you, but that's pretty pimp
tongue.gif

So 1st gen it is! And the eBay search starts. Found one, grabbed it for $118 (woooooo!!!) and well, well worth the money. It's as if this one was customized for me. The battery upgrade went flawless (really, really easy. Though my friend killed his 2nd gen attempting to upgrade the battery, he "accidentally" shredded his HDD ribbon cable...he must've been pushing REALLY, REALLY hard to do that.) and it was done. I did a test on the first full charge of the battery. 23 hours, 14 minutes. Random play, my entire library, on repeat.
Hell. Yeah.

That, and the wheel physically spins!
biggrin.gif
I know, it's easier to break, mechanical sux touch pwns, blah blah...but damnnnnn it's so nice how it spins. It actually feels a lot better than a touchpad. Really smooth.

(oh, and FYI: I used an iRiver and an mpio, borrowed from my friends, in the 3 months it took for me to get my new iPod after I lost the 1st one. So it's not like I haven't touched another DAP or anything. My first DAP was a Rio! lol)

Apr 25, 2005 at 6:13 AM Post #115 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalManCPA
Although I believe there is a simple answer to my question, I'm curious to hear why so many have flocked to iPods.

My easy assumed answer is one word: marketing.

To be honest, when I'm shopping for a product, it's almost never the most heavily marketed product for what I am looking for. I actually tend to shy away from highly marketed products, of course with exceptions like Microsoft. In my feeble mind I believe that companies who spend so much on advertising are looking to push mass quantities, which in turn I believe quality suffers.

I ended up with a Zen Micro. There's decent marketing for this product too, but nothing even close to how iPod has pushed their product down the throats of consumers. I'm not saying iPod is a bad product, but it's definately not the best. My son has a 20GB V4 iPod, and many times we've listened to the exact same song (MP3 usually 192kbs), and 100% of the time the Zen sounds better. Plus, features like the removable battery and other less important features to me, like voice record and FM, were included in the Zen and not the iPods when I was shopping.

So, what's so special about iPods? Looks? Build quality? Sound? I certainly don't believe it's sound, well, at least my ears don't.

I just recently borrowed my friend's 4G 20GB iPod so I can answer your question. The first thing I noticed about the iPod is that the build quality is amazing. It seems to be of so much better quality than anything else out there because of its weight and great materials. It feels completely solid. The next thing I noticed was how user friendly it is. It turns on when you plug in headphones! Third, The scroll wheel is a flawless connection between you and the device. Lastly, I didn't think this was big before but iTunes is also a huge part of the appeal. I love how everything between the iPod and iTunes is perfectly synchronized. The iPod keeps track of what songs you listen to and updates the information with iTunes when you connect. It is also a breeze to use.

However, everything I said up there can be summed up with one sentence. The allure of the iPod is the amazing attention to detail Apple has shown. All of the little things coming together just gives the user an amazing experience with the product and leaves you feeling like it was well worth the investment. Like I read in some review somewhere, the iPod does one thing and it does it extremely well, play music (except the iPod photo...but shhh)

Apr 25, 2005 at 7:14 AM Post #117 of 220
The reasons I got it are most of the reasons people listed here:

Great UI.
Greater number of accessories.
Line-out via accessorie.
Good resell value.

Althrough I wish the iPod had gapless playback.

Apr 25, 2005 at 8:56 AM Post #118 of 220
Great thread, I dont know whats more sad, The person buying the ipod because they love it and its user gui, form factor, sound and dont care about anyone else opinion. Or the person who bashes the ipod simply because everyone ownes one and says that their players are better i.e Iriver, rio, creative etc because Ive heard a fair share of complaints from users and my iriver's user gui is absolutly crap. Thats why im either getting the vaio pocket, cowan X5, or nw hd5 or even a 30GB ipod photo but I know apple are releasing a 5th gen. Just a few opinions, the average consumer is never going to choose ogg, radio, or whatever you techie's are boasting about over something that has over the ipods amazing gui and good design. Alot of the competition doesnt exactly boast instant attraction.

Apr 25, 2005 at 10:14 AM Post #120 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
One aspect of the iPod's allure is that it is a unique, successful design of a US company that had great challenges and came back.

I love success stories like theirs.

Werent the designers swedish or something

Users who are viewing this thread

Back